Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tranny change

Old 03-01-2009, 08:10 PM
mississippiboy
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tranny change

well changed the tranny oil and GASKET damn what a pain thought i would share

Old 03-01-2009, 08:46 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

You must of done it the hard way. No reason to pull the derby cover if you are just changing oil. Just add 1 quart (32oz) of oil through the primary chain inspection cover (2 screws).

Old 03-01-2009, 09:17 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Yep, I like to keep it simple, so I just use the primary chain inspection cover as well on all my Harley's...

Little bit harder on the big twins though, as you have to remove 4 bolts on the cover instead of just 2 that are used on the Sportsters...

1200 (EVO);

Softail (TC);

Dyna (EVO);

Old 03-02-2009, 08:40 AM
mississippiboy
Road Captain

well should have asked before o well. Did it by the book then had heck trying to put the gasket on had to get some permagrease to hold it. then knocked over the dang bucket full of tranny oil. That lead to me walking out the next morning and about breaking my neck! plus got on the wifes tires..... geez what a weekend o well we actually got some snow down here so turned out ok.. next time i try some chit like this im asking for advise up front

Old 03-02-2009, 09:31 AM
cHarley
Club Member

Originally Posted by mississippiboy
well should have asked before o well. Did it by the book then had heck trying to put the gasket on had to get some permagrease to hold it. then knocked over the dang bucket full of tranny oil. That lead to me walking out the next morning and about breaking my neck! plus got on the wifes tires..... geez what a weekend o well we actually got some snow down here so turned out ok.. next time i try some chit like this im asking for advise up front
Live and learn..
FYI, Vasoline (petroleum jelly) in the quad-ring groove works good as well.

Old 03-02-2009, 11:30 AM
killer scott
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ha ha, sounds like you had a heck of a time... Glad you are still alive! I did it the "hard" way and didn't think it was much trouble, but in the future I will use the primary chain inspection hole. Much quicker.

Ride safe!

Old 03-02-2009, 01:11 PM
mississippiboy
Road Captain

ya forgot to mention when i first put it on and didnt change the gasket sat there and watched it drip slowly for about a hour that night .. "had a couple beers by then" then i had to drive my *** 90 miles up to tuscubia al to get a gasket! i was alittle to agrevated to wait on them to ship it. ya what a weekend

Old 03-02-2009, 01:44 PM
cHarley
Club Member

Originally Posted by mississippiboy
ya forgot to mention when i first put it on and didnt change the gasket sat there and watched it drip slowly for about a hour that night .. "had a couple beers by then" then i had to drive my *** 90 miles up to tuscubia al to get a gasket! i was alittle to agrevated to wait on them to ship it. ya what a weekend
Well then, I have to make you feel even better. Barring some form of unusual damage, the quad-ring can be reused many times. I replaced mine for the first time at my 35,000 mile oil change, and that was just for the he!! of it. You probably just didn't have it seated in the groove properly.

Last edited by cHarley; 03-02-2009 at 01:47 PM.
Old 03-02-2009, 02:03 PM
mississippiboy
Road Captain

ya that make me feel much better!

Old 03-02-2009, 04:31 PM
SpursDarkrider
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey at least now you can say you did it by the book. Its still easier to do it inspection cover route

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: tranny change