Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sportster Speedometer Problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 06:00 PM
Davemac122383
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a similar problem with my speedo working and not working and it was a loose negative battery cable. Cant hurt to check that first as that would be a free fix.

Old 06-03-2014, 06:29 AM
Miegle
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mine still bad.... eventually, ill get around fixing this problem

Old 10-17-2014, 01:39 AM
Delta nine
Stage IV
Default I'm learning too.

The Speed Sensor on my 1999 1200CC was easy to remove once I got to the part. You`ll need to make some space around it. I`be read about people removing the Starter to get to it. All I did was loosen up the Exhaust (not even totally removed), it allowed me enough room to remove the VSS. I cleaned it and it didn'thelp at all. Still unsure if I should replace the part or not.

Originally Posted by Wheresmycheese
Hey guys,

I have a newbie question. Hope you folks don't mind.. But basically I'm experiencing the same problem where my needle tends to jump around a lot and has gotten progressively worse over time. So I definitely suspect there's just a ton of **** on my sensor. I'm not asking anyone to go into an elaborate step-by-step of how to get to the sensor; I'll get my hands on a Haynes manual somehow. But just wanted to know in advance is this something an amateur can pull off with minimal tools?

Jon

Old 03-22-2015, 08:44 AM
Ehen45
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Having a similar issue with my 95 883. Speedometer bounces around erratically when riding. Sits around 20mph after idling for a few minutes. Odometer reads 0000.0 and won't switch off the trip meter. Self cancels function properly. Cleaned the VSS. Wasn't in too bad of shape. Traced all the wires between the odometer and vss to find nothing out of wack. Ignition switch can be temperamental at times so I'm planning to change that shortly. Am I looking at a bad speedometer? Or could it be tied into my ignition switch issue?

Old 03-22-2015, 08:58 AM
LunaticFringe
Road Captain
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

it's common for sportsters, lots of them did it, nothing really to worry about since it only does it rarely..

Old 07-21-2015, 02:58 PM
Djshomesolutions
Stage I
Default Did you resolve this?

Have a 95 sportster 883 w/ same problem changed speedo sensor and still not working. Did you resolve the problem?

Originally Posted by Ehen45
Having a similar issue with my 95 883. Speedometer bounces around erratically when riding. Sits around 20mph after idling for a few minutes. Odometer reads 0000.0 and won't switch off the trip meter. Self cancels function properly. Cleaned the VSS. Wasn't in too bad of shape. Traced all the wires between the odometer and vss to find nothing out of wack. Ignition switch can be temperamental at times so I'm planning to change that shortly. Am I looking at a bad speedometer? Or could it be tied into my ignition switch issue?

Old 07-21-2015, 06:25 PM
Ehen45
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Djshomesolutions
Have a 95 sportster 883 w/ same problem changed speedo sensor and still not working. Did you resolve the problem?
I found a used speedo on eBay. Fixed it great. There are great trouble shooting tips in the Haynes manual. I'll take a look at those and post a short hand guide for you. Give me a day to get back to you.

Old 11-16-2016, 07:10 PM
matt_i_am
Stage III

I am having this issue with my 2009 Nightster...it happens quite often and sometimes the bike will want to stall as I'm coming to a stop unless I give it a couple revs to keep it going then it will idle fine until I take off. If I notice the speedo needle at 0 while I'm moving, I will hit the kill switch then re start it and then the speedo will work...for a bit.

Old 09-26-2017, 07:53 PM
aimlesscruzr
Stage I

Like a lot of the rest of the posts, similar issues with mine: 1999 Sportster 883. The speedometer will peg at max when I first turn ignition on. Once it starts, it'll bounce around a little then just settle on some seemingly random position.

The odometer works fine.

I pulled the sensor and there really wasn't much crud on it, but I cleaned it anyway.

Troubleshooting question, is it the single sensor that drives both speed and odometer? I have the Haynes manual and it's got nothing (that I've found) for speedometer testing...

Thanks for any help that directs me to the right culprit.

Old 09-26-2017, 08:18 PM
Mech883
Novice

if the charge on the battery gets too low the speedometer will stop recording and become erratic

Quick Reply: Sportster Speedometer Problem