Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Conversion Complete

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2006, 01:32 AM
Frank Lemon
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Conversion Complete

So I got my bike back from the indy earlier in the week after having a basic conversion done. I figured 400 miles was close enough to 500 miles for break in so I got on it a little bit yesterday. All I can say is wow. Well I guess that's not all.

I had my cylinders bored and used wiseco 10:1 pistons. No headwork, no cams. I didn't even do an igniton yet, but I have a feeling I'm going to very soon. More on that in a bit.

I got out there yesterday with two of my buddies, both on 600 cc sportbikes (GSX-R 600 and Yamaha R6) which are like rocket ships. I can't even begin to imagine what it must be like on a 1300cc 'Busa. My boys are still in first gear at 14,000 rpm doing 60mph while I've already had to shift three times . I would generally get the jump on them off the line but by 30 feet they were past me. That said, I was able to keep them in my sights. Until they decided they wanted to do 130. When my bike was 883, I wouldn't even bother riding with them as I couldn't keep up. No problem with that yesterday.

Now on to the ignition. Right now it is stock, non-adjustable. My mechanic has the bike jetted rich in order to prevent pinging considering we went with 10:1 compression. That's the one thing I would change if I could do it all over again, I would have gone with 9.5:1 pistons. Well, if I had it to do over again I would have picked up the 1250 kit from NRHS. So the combination of running a little rich, coupled with me riding the snot out of it got me only 114 miles on a tank until I hit reserve on my 4.5 gallon tank. Which is only 15 miles less than I was getting when it was an 883 (when it was also stupid rich). The good news is I don't hear any pinging.

So my question then is this: If I were to get an adjustable ignition to eliminate the worry of pinging, I would be able to run the bike leaner than it is right now (stupid rich), correct? Which should lead to better gas mileage, yeah? Will having the bike dyno tuned when I install the ignition ensure (or is it insure?) that everything gets dialed in correctly?

Sorry if this was a little long winded, I got a little carried away with myself. All in all, I am thrilled with the results, the smile is back on my face everytime I get on, just like it was a year ago when I first bought the bike. I guess the bad news is, in a year or two I'm gonna tear the whole thing down again and rock some new heads and cams, maybe even that 1250 kit

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Old 08-14-2006, 11:30 AM
12Stones
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Conversion Complete

I have to wonder how you were only getting 130 out of your 883 even while running rich. With a 1200C I get 170 minimum before hitting the reserve and I do 99% big city riding. So unless you only "run the snot" out of it, I gotta think that if you're running so rich to lose a gallon's worth of mileage that you should be running through fouled plugs like a fool. You should be getting a little bit better gas mileage if you're able to run leaner but like I said, I can't see it being so much of a difference as you're getting. But then, I don't know much.