Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can't remove oil filter!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 10:45 PM
eviltwin415
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't remove oil filter!!!

I mean this son of a bitch is REALLY on there. This was the first oil change I have done on the bike and wasn't anticipating this. Last one was done by CA Choppers here in SF, great shop. Anyway, the strap wrench wasn't even budging this thing, WTF??? I've only done a couple of oil changes before on my bonneville, and his one was going fine until it was time to remove the filter. A guy I know came over with a plastic filter wrench that is supposed to fit on the end of a 3/8 driver, but it was cracked so it wasn't working at all. Worst part (maybe it doesn't actually matter) is that the filter in kind of crushed on one side now.

What should I do? Should I just replace the oil and ride it down to the shop and tell him, you put it on, now get it off! Can I safely ride it with the oil filter crushed on the side? Someone suggested when he put it on he didn't put oil around the ring or seal on the filter, sound right?

Old 06-12-2010, 10:51 PM
rwjjr
Tourer

Probably didnt grease the bead on the filter when put on,if the filter is not leaking its ok to drive it to the shop.......but keep trying to get it off.It will come

Old 06-12-2010, 10:53 PM
RKKY
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Haven't found one yet (probably changed over a thousand) that couldn't be taken off with my Snap-On strap wrench and 3/8" drive ratchet. Although some of them ended up looking square shaped befor they came off.

The following users liked this post:
Vec (10-06-2017)
Old 06-12-2010, 11:06 PM
eviltwin415
Tourer

That's what i've been using and it isn't moving, although it is changing shape. A little embarrassing to admit though is that last oil change I did on my bonnie I dropped the strap in the oil pan (newbie mistake). It holds without slipping, but there were a couple of drops of oil on the ground that I think were squeezed out of the strap. Either that or the filter is leaking now which would be a bummer.

Do you guys think I should put oil in it?

Old 06-12-2010, 11:12 PM
old skool1983
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

take a screw driver to that bitch! pop a hole in it and twist.

Old 06-12-2010, 11:14 PM
twistr
Road Warrior
Received 141 Likes on 54 Posts

sorry to hear you're have trouble with the filter..happened to my friends bike a while back. The dealer he took it too over torque it...I thought they cross threaded it, but all was okay. Could be a possibility in your case...Hope not...keep trying even with another filter wrench...GOOD LUCK!!

Old 06-12-2010, 11:16 PM
WVleo
Road Master

Hi, Take a screwdriver and with a hammer punch it threw the filter from side to side leaving enough room to use the screwdriver as a wrench ( still embeded in the filter ) and twist that sucker off ! Did this trick a couple times over the years on bikes.......WVleo

Old 06-12-2010, 11:21 PM
OhioSkully
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

keep working at it it will eventually come loose, and iam with Twistr on this one id almost bet that the shop put it on to tight alot of guys make that mistake thinking it needs to be real tight but it doesn't once it gets hot and the rubber seal expands if its over torqued it will be tight as hell like yours 3000 miles later and a pain to get off the bike.

Old 06-12-2010, 11:23 PM
eviltwin415
Tourer

i think i'm gonna take it in monday. I'm pretty sure if I puncture it it'll still be stuck on there, and i'm pretty sure, but not entirely sure I know how you're saying to do it. Biggest question I need answered right now is should i put oil in it and can I ride it tomorrow which the damaged filter, or is there a chance there is a hole in the filter now? either way I'll have to fill it up and ride it in on Monday.

Old 06-12-2010, 11:27 PM
Ruralmed
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Make sure it's lefty lucy and righty tighty..jk. I think venting with a screw driver may help but use the end vice the side to keep rigidity were you need it.

Last edited by Ruralmed; 06-13-2010 at 10:05 AM.

Quick Reply: Can't remove oil filter!!!