Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CHOPPED clutch cable---

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 06:42 PM
streetfighter06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default CHOPPED clutch cable---

Ok, I made a post on here a few weeks ago and got no help. I want to do a suicide shifter on my 06. I'm going to hand fab everything. The shifter will be 1" OD to warehouse the original clutch handle and grip. Kinda drag-race style. So with the clutch lever being on the shifter, I will need to shorten the clutch cable to somewhere around 14"-18" I'm thinking. I know shortening a clutch cable can be done - so how? No one sells a cable this small. I've googled my *** off, talked to HD, looked through catalogs - even stopped at a Yamaha dealer today. Nada. I know there are popular foot clutch/jockey shifters for Sportsters, but you need forward controls and I don't have them, nor do I want them - so rule that OUT. What's the cable made of? Wire/metal? I want to section out the middle so the primary side can still bolt in and the clutch lever side can too. Can it be sectioned out and then welded? Soldered? Crimped? Brazed? Gonna try and do this in the next couple of weeks. Any info would be awesome.

Old 09-09-2010, 08:22 PM
SpicOfTheDevil
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did you contact a company like magnum shielding to see if they'll do custom length?

Old 09-09-2010, 08:33 PM
woodworking1
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The clutch cable is twisted steel. You can cut it and crimp it if you like. I guess. I'm not sure about welding or soldering it. I have the setup from Rager Built Choppers. It is the simplest setup I could find. However, it requires forward controls!

You have to be careful of the weight of the shifter lever and also take into consideration the fact that the shift lever will have a long swing. If it were a clock it would be from about 10-2 so the cable will have to be long enough and have enough play to accommodate that. I was surprised at how far I had to move the rod to shift! I would consider a smaller shifter rod with maybe some sort of bushing to attach the clutch perch. When I did mine I was concerned with the weight on the shifter shaft so I made mine from 1/2" metal tube.

I have a firend that has a snap on breaker bar as his shifter lever. However it is a custom chopper with a 103". I'm not sure it makes a difference but I would assume the shifter shaft is more heavy duty on that motor

Old 09-09-2010, 09:43 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,212 Likes on 462 Posts

Barnett's will make a clutch cable any length you want.

Oh, and get ready for the primary leak that will happen due to the extra weight on the shifter shaft bushing.

One last bit - it ain't a suicide, just a hand shift/hand clutch. I'd really recommend doing a "real" suicide clutch & hand or jockey shift instead of what you're contemplating. I've seen a Sporty shift itself when the hand lever was too heavy and the bike went over a good bump.

Last edited by pococj; 09-09-2010 at 09:48 PM.
Old 09-09-2010, 11:45 PM
fatguy-littlebike
Tourer

. I've seen a Sporty shift itself when the hand lever was too heavy and the bike went over a good bump.[/quote]

i've had this idea in my head for a year now but what you said is the only thing keeping me from doing it. im also worried about when you accel or decel the weight of the lever would swing the shifter i think. i wont do a foot clutch cuz i absolutly hate forward controls and i want both feet free when stopped.

Old 09-10-2010, 01:08 AM
Too_Loe
Intermediate

heres a few pictures of mine

Name:  DSC00017.jpg
Views: 1049
Size:  50.0 KB

Name:  DSC00016.jpg
Views: 901
Size:  37.0 KB

Name:  DSC00014.jpg
Views: 914
Size:  52.8 KB

all i used was the stock HD clutch cable.. some wire crimps and went to town

Old 09-10-2010, 05:42 AM
streetfighter06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks. Gonna try magnum shielding and Barnett's for sure.

Old 09-10-2010, 05:46 AM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by pococj
I've seen a Sporty shift itself when the hand lever was too heavy and the bike went over a good bump.
I wonder if you couldn't overcome that by mounting the lever forward, using the linkage for a forward foot shifter. That would also hep when using the jockey shift with mid controls.

Old 09-10-2010, 12:39 PM
bmxatv
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by streetfighter06
Thanks. Gonna try magnum shielding and Barnett's for sure.
man ur bike looks fvcken mean dude! nice job with it. can't wait to see what you come up with.

Old 09-10-2010, 04:10 PM
Mike07FLHTC
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Im working on my boys now.Mid control foot clutch,jockey shift. All hand fabbed.I'm going to shorten the stock cable tonight somehow, I have a plan just hope it works.
Will post pics soon.

Quick Reply: CHOPPED clutch cable---