Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

intake leak or something else?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2011, 07:11 AM
slipvayne9278
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default intake leak or something else?

So im getting tired of the popping coming from carb area,and the hicupping and backfiring.

Yesterday when i got home from work,the bike was in operating temperature. I decided to let it idle,then i took some throttle body cleaner and spray around the carb. When i did this the idle went up,not drastically,but very noticable. What does this mean?

I am new to carbs,the bike is a 1991 sporty 1200. I dont know what kind of carb it is,nor know how to tell,but what i can tell you it has a forcewinder air cleaner on it.

For reference,i havent done anything to bike,it ran great when i got it,then out of nowhere all of the backfiring,popping from carb area and hiccupping started.

I appreciate all the help guys

Old 08-13-2011, 08:13 AM
ride2tires
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Slip- What do the plugs look like? If you have a intake leak, it should be running lean and the plugs should be white.
As far as intake gaskets, pretty easy to get at. I have a allen wrench I ground down on the short side to be able to get to the bolts on the intake "Y". Otherwise, proves to be tight. Couple o-rings.... very cheap fix.

Old 08-13-2011, 08:24 AM
slipvayne9278
Advanced

Plugs look good,plugs are brand new as well as wires,approx 2 weeks old

Where exactly is the intake gaskets?(remember im new to fixing bikes)

Old 08-13-2011, 09:45 AM
ride2tires
Road Master

Slip-
Pull the tank off(ground wire by seat, two bolts, fuel line and vent line). From the back of the carb is a "Y" looking manifold. Pull the air cleaner and pull carb.(you need not disconnect the throttle cables, just zip-tie it so the carb is not hanging by them). There are 4 allen heads(if stock) holding the manifold on the jugs. This is were the ground down allen comes in- as it is a b!tch without grinding one down, even with a ball nose allen. Remove the allens and look on the 2 jug sides of the manifold. There are 2 o-rings.... these are your intake gaskets.

Old 08-13-2011, 09:48 AM
ride2tires
Road Master

Also- be sure to clean the "faces" on the jugs where the orings seat. I usually hit it with a brass brush, and spray brake cleaner on a rag and give'm a good rub down. (seals or only as good as the seats)

Old 08-13-2011, 10:13 AM
slipvayne9278
Advanced

Awesome thanks guys, when i get the time im gonna pull it apart and take a look, i will let you guys know what happens

Old 08-15-2011, 11:26 AM
BurpleHugger
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

While the bike is idling, spray it again at the top of each side of the above described Y, those are the intake prots and there are seals behind the flanges. If it does not raise the RPM your fine there. If it does, LEAK Then spray it again behind the carb where it attaches to the bottom of the Y, there is a carb to intake seal there too. It's easier to get to if you take the Air Cleaner off but also not necessary. Do a visual of how the carb is seated here, sometimes, if not properly aligned, the angle of the intake won't allow the carb to sit flush on that seal causing it to allow air to seep in.

Another note on leak checking, I would recommend using propane or butane as opposed to sprays. The gas can reveal smaller leaks that the sprays can't penetrate.

Hope it works out for yah!

Old 08-15-2011, 12:17 PM
HOTLAP
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 388 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by BurpleHugger
Another note on leak checking, I would recommend using propane or butane as opposed to sprays. The gas can reveal smaller leaks that the sprays can't penetrate.
Good idea!, a lot cleaner way of doing it too!

Old 08-16-2011, 07:32 PM
slipvayne9278
Advanced

I have been stuck at work and havent had time to look at it,i will this friday,as well as replace primary gasket,as its leaking

Old 08-17-2011, 06:32 PM
slipvayne9278
Advanced

Here is a question for you hd gurus.

I decided to ride my bike into work tonight. After i sprayed the carb with throttle body cleaner and heard the idle raise up,it pointed to a leak.

Ok,so tonights ride was perfect,no hesitation on steady throttle,very little backfires,and no popping coming from carb,also when i come to a stop when the bike got warm the idle was very high,.

What could have possibly happened? Did i temp make a seal when i sprayed?

Quick Reply: intake leak or something else?