Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My headlight SUCKS!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 10:44 AM
Frank B
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's where I mounted my ballast, they offered a black digital ballast when I got mine. I thought I'd just move it later but nobodys noticed it! The harness plugs into the stock headlight plug, but there isn't enough room in the headlight bucket. I had to take the plug apart to get the wires out of the bucket, then put it back together and connected to the hid harness under the tank. The only wires going into the bucket are the hid harness wires. I had to make the original hole a bit larger to get them in.

I've yet to have someone flash their lights at me, maybe because I dim the hi beam when I meet other vehicles and I aimed the headlight properly....

This HID is 35 watts, both hi and low beam. The bulb moves to redirect the light.

Old 11-07-2011, 09:01 AM
dirtydutchys
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank B
Here's where I mounted my ballast, they offered a black digital ballast when I got mine. I thought I'd just move it later but nobodys noticed it! The harness plugs into the stock headlight plug, but there isn't enough room in the headlight bucket. I had to take the plug apart to get the wires out of the bucket, then put it back together and connected to the hid harness under the tank. The only wires going into the bucket are the hid harness wires. I had to make the original hole a bit larger to get them in.

I've yet to have someone flash their lights at me, maybe because I dim the hi beam when I meet other vehicles and I aimed the headlight properly....

This HID is 35 watts, both hi and low beam. The bulb moves to redirect the light.

was this a single headlight kit? or was this for a vehicle that came with 2 ballast and 2 HID bulbs??

thanks

Old 11-07-2011, 09:22 AM
rickss69
Stellar HDF Member

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

I find that most people have no clue when it comes to properly aimimg a headlite so they just install the most obnoxious lamps they can find and call it great. Great...for everyone behind them maybe. Really pisses me off to have to approach these fools at night...downright inconsiderate and I find myself flicking cigarette butts at thier heads as we pass, wishing I had a canned beverage instead. I kind of equate it to those idiots with booming sound systems sitting in traffic...they must think that everyone in a two block radius really enjoy those non-stop pulses.

Old 11-07-2011, 10:01 AM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts

In my opinion the auxiliary lights are worth it. They light up the road ahead and the shoulder (great for deer etc.) I never worry about seeing or being seen. They make me much more visible even during the daylight. I will have them on any bike I own.

Old 11-07-2011, 06:41 PM
Mich
Road Master
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

My headlight was aimed way way too low brand new from the dealer, it was downright dangerous on my first night ride. I went home read my owners manual which gives great, simple instructions for aiming the headlight and now I can see fine on my stock low beam.

Old 11-09-2011, 09:36 AM
BlackIron11
Novice

Just had my Iron in for an oil change and the dealer claims the headlight can't be aimed?? Anyway, I had them put in a better bulb and it made a very significant difference. I can now see the road in front of me, but it is still aimed straight down at the road. The bulb is made by Brite Lite (britelite.net).

Old 11-09-2011, 10:36 AM
WVHogRider
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by parabellum_9x19
I would recommend something from PIAA, I've personally had a horrible experience with Sylvania Silverstars, they tend to last less than a year on bikes due to the vibrations which they are not designed to handle.
Ummmmm, been running the same Silverstar on mine the last two summers....'00 solid mounted sporty with 10" shocks. No issues here.

Old 11-09-2011, 10:39 AM
WVHogRider
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackIron11
Just had my Iron in for an oil change and the dealer claims the headlight can't be aimed?? Anyway, I had them put in a better bulb and it made a very significant difference. I can now see the road in front of me, but it is still aimed straight down at the road. The bulb is made by Brite Lite (britelite.net).
Find a new dealer and quick if you're not going to do your own work!!!!
It's a simple fix that my 10 year old could do......Hell, my 5 year old step daughter could do it if I read the manual to her.

Old 11-09-2011, 06:33 PM
Mich
Road Master
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Dealer says it cannot be aimed? Definately find a new dealer.

Just read your HD Sportster owners manual, it explains exactly how to aim your headlight, I did it myself. All you need is a tape measure and a socket, I can't remember what size but you will figure it out.

Old 11-09-2011, 07:50 PM
BlackIron11
Novice

Originally Posted by WVHogRider
Find a new dealer and quick if you're not going to do your own work!!!!
It's a simple fix that my 10 year old could do......Hell, my 5 year old step daughter could do it if I read the manual to her.
My thoughts exactly and that is basically what I said to them. I plan on doing my own work from now on, just wanted to let them do the first 1K service and I figured I would ask them to adjust the headlight while it was in there. Oh well, now I know.

Quick Reply: My headlight SUCKS!!!!