Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thundermax- reviews

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 10:59 AM
Ted Shredz
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm definitely going to look into a TM. I can see its a pretty pricey item, but the idea that I won't have to do much to get it working for me and have my bike performing properly is a huge draw card.
I'd install it on my 2012 Electra Glide UL (FLHTK). I intend to do a pipe swap to ditch the cat, new slip-ons and a better breathing air filter. While looking into this device, I saw something about having to consider either the weld ons or getting a pipe designed for an older bike (2009?) that mounted the O2 sensors in front of the exhaust ports near the heads, which I'll assume are wide band sensors? My current setup uses the narrow band O2 sensors mounted in front of the cat. Between 2009 and 2012 there really wasn't all that much difference between the Geezer Glides (or, aside from the cat, am I going to be wrong there too?).
I'm opting for the Fuel Moto Jack Pot pipes which have the sensor bungs available in the exhaust port position. Does the TM still use the narrow band O2's, or do they become redundant? If I'm out on the road and the TM starts presenting issues, can I disconnect the TM and go back to the stock setup to limp home?
I'm always worried about messing with stock setups- with the newer bikes like the TKs and all the electronic complexities its nice to know I haven't burned a bridge before I drive on. : )
T

Old 07-31-2013, 11:11 AM
rickss69
Stellar HDF Member

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

As far as I can tell the TM does nothing more than the PV unit. Do some searching and you may find that the TM brand in general has been plagued with software/electrical issues.

Old 07-31-2013, 01:24 PM
rickss69
Stellar HDF Member

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

I was dissuaded from the TM early on from users that reported quality control issues with the unit. I know of nothing that the TM offers above what the PV does currently when equipped with the wide band option. No tuner requires the use of a dyno, but it will confirm what gains/losses have occurred from adjustments.

Old 08-16-2013, 09:57 PM
Turbo38gn
Advanced

nothing good to say about Zippers support on a Thundermax. The only form of contact with theirs techs is email. You can send a copy of a tune and they are supposed to tweak it and send it back... didn't happen for me, they sent a tune up to me for a 96" procharged combo... did not work at all. I told them it was a SE110" FLHR with a procharger... I loaded a tuneup from a 110 motor without a charger and am currently working on figuring out how to tune it from there. So far, it runs great, but I know I need to check the AFR's, need the targets to be around 11.0 to 1 under boost... Screw Zippers, they should be ashamed of themselves. Procharger and every Harley tuner I called had nothing good to say about TMax, mainly because of the lack of support.

Old 08-16-2013, 11:41 PM
IRON1250
Road Master
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

i'm not giving mine up. never had the slightest problem with it.

Old 04-20-2014, 10:57 AM
Joe Schmuckatelli
Stage I
Default Thundermax

Just wanted to input my 2 cents worth here. Got a 2013 Road King last fall. Very first thing I noticed, it ran super hot and not quite as strong when compared to my 2004 Road King with a TC88 and stage 1 setup. After some research, I decided a Thundermax and a cat free header pipe was the way to go. Ordered the Thundermax from Cyclesolutions and it apparently came loaded with a map because I still haven't hooked it up to a computer and it runs just fine. Plugged the Thundermax into a cat free header pipe HD part #66848-09. Installed a K&N air filter, decapitated the baffles with a 1 5/16" hole saw and problem solved. Bike runs noticeably stronger, ultra smooth and a WHOLE LOT cooler. Is this the best option? We can argue that till the end of time. Is this the only option? Hardly, there are plenty of options out there to be sure and sorting through them can be a daunting task at best, only you can decide which one is right for you. I'm just saying this one has worked for me quite well so far. The 04 Road King coughed the entire 10 years and 43,000 miles that I rode it, (no doubt related to the carb rejetting which was tweaked a couple of times but never totally eliminated the cough). It is refreshing to have this one running as sweet as it does but 10 years from now? Who knows?

2013 Road King 103" stock motor, Thundermax with auto tune 18mm wide band 02 sensors, K&N stock replacement filter, NGK iridium spark plugs, 2009 cat free header pipe and decapitated baffles. (Note: this header pipe will NOT work with your stock 02 narrow band 12mm sensors).

Old 09-11-2014, 05:48 AM
dv8ftw
Stage II

Been running a thundermax on my 2004 heritage over two years 20000 plus k's bike runs like a dream ands it's cheap considering no need for a dyno, they are just an expensive dog kennel.

Old 09-11-2014, 06:31 AM
bigfish_Oh
Road Warrior
Received 64 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbo38gn
nothing good to say about Zippers support on a Thundermax. The only form of contact with theirs techs is email. You can send a copy of a tune and they are supposed to tweak it and send it back... didn't happen for me, they sent a tune up to me for a 96" procharged combo... did not work at all. I told them it was a SE110" FLHR with a procharger... I loaded a tuneup from a 110 motor without a charger and am currently working on figuring out how to tune it from there. So far, it runs great, but I know I need to check the AFR's, need the targets to be around 11.0 to 1 under boost... Screw Zippers, they should be ashamed of themselves. Procharger and every Harley tuner I called had nothing good to say about TMax, mainly because of the lack of support.
You bought a procharger from someone that could not or did not recommend how to tune it or provide tunes? opps...

I went t-max because I was considering pro-charger(from the leader) and any possible option. still at stage 1, 15K no problems.

Old 09-11-2014, 11:38 AM
Turbo38gn
Advanced

Originally Posted by bigfish_Oh
You bought a procharger from someone that could not or did not recommend how to tune it or provide tunes? opps...

I went t-max because I was considering pro-charger(from the leader) and any possible option. still at stage 1, 15K no problems.

Actually, I didn't buy anything. I was helping out a friend at the time get it running. T max seems to be a very good product, my complaint wasn't with the product, it was with the way Zippers supports Tmax..

Old 09-12-2014, 06:29 PM
Lee Minske
Advanced

I have an 08 Heritage Softail which is 96ci....It was already a Stage 1 with V&H pipes and SE air cleaner when i got it. I wanted to perk it up some so sixth gear wasn't such a dog, so i decided i'd do something with the ECM and put a set of cams in it. After a full winter of research on the internet and talking to too many people to count, I'd decided on using a set of S&S 583 Easy Start cams which is a comparible midrange cam like the SE255's. Reading many many pages and articles about tuners i'd decided after reading everyones pros and cons, i picked the ThunderMax for what it could do. After having this done and riding it the full summer with 0 (zero) problems with anything all summer long and being totally amazed at the power my bike now has, I know i made the right decision by going with the TM & the S&S cams. I have a great shop nearby that did the work for me and dyno'd it afterwards to dial everything in so it ran great right from the git go. It was worth every dime i spent on it and i'd do it again no questions asked. It's great to have choices in life and this one i made was definately the right one.

Quick Reply: Thundermax- reviews