Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

shifting noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 02:34 PM
jwg In RI
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shifting noise

i titled this thread shifting noise , but it is not really so much a "noise"
but more I can hear it loudly popping into gear both up and down shifting
more so down shifting ,
and I have also noticed it is not always to happy to go into first
lastly when letting off the throttle say going 50 plus I can hear the bike disengage , witch I dont think I could before but well may have not been listing for
Oh,, lest I forget to mention it is a 02/883

well the question if there is one in all this . would this all be signs or syptoms of just needing the fulids filled .

and no I have not had the bike serviced I just bought it last fall and was given the impression at the time of the sale all was fine and not in need of service , I have probably put 2,000 miles on it cence then

Old 05-21-2012, 03:13 PM
Scuba10jdl
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 207 Likes on 169 Posts

Is it sort of a clunk? If so, it's perfectly normal and they always do that.

Old 05-21-2012, 03:42 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

Yep, sounds normal from your description.
Downshifting into 1st before the bike comes to a stop makes getting it into 1st gear easier.

Old 05-21-2012, 03:57 PM
IronBoy883
Road Captain

Yea I posted a few threads about this, Being that it is my first Harley I was also concerned about the loud clanks and clunks when shifting but I changed my fluids and did all the adjustments and it still does it, everyone tells me its "a Harley thing" so I take it for what it is haha

Old 05-21-2012, 04:02 PM
jwg In RI
Advanced

yea , I kinda know about this "clunk" and that is a good word for it . I have put a couple thousand on the bike , todays "clunk" was much louder , Im quite sure there is something going on in there or maybe with the cluch cable needs adjusting.
something is just not right , I was hoping it might be just needed some fluid added

Old 05-21-2012, 04:15 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by jwg In RI
yea , I kinda know about this "clunk" and that is a good word for it . I have put a couple thousand on the bike , todays "clunk" was much louder , Im quite sure there is something going on in there or maybe with the cluch cable needs adjusting.
something is just not right , I was hoping it might be just needed some fluid added
Unless you find a puddle of oil under the bike, the primary/tranny should never need "oil added" between the 5000 mile change intervals.

You might want to check your primary chain and clutch adjustments though. You'll need the Service Manual to do them correctly.

Old 05-21-2012, 04:29 PM
jwg In RI
Advanced

Originally Posted by cHarley
Unless you find a puddle of oil under the bike, the primary/tranny should never need "oil added" between the 5000 mile change intervals.

You might want to check your primary chain and clutch adjustments though. You'll need the Service Manual to do them correctly.
yeah , no puddles , I see your point there . The more I have been thinking about it . and by know means am I a mechanic, but if the clutch lever was not 100% disingageing then that would maybe account for the louder "clunk"
and the not wanting to go into first so well ..
sounds like a trip to a shop.. bugger a bad week for that to say the least

Old 05-21-2012, 05:10 PM
IBGary
Road Captain

I like the clunk. This is my 6th bike and 1st Harley. I've read about the clunk for years. I thought it was a bad thing until I experienced it. The clunk tells me im made the shift. No more of that ??? did it go?, I think so !!! try again. With the clunk I know. I like it.

Old 05-21-2012, 05:28 PM
jwg In RI
Advanced

Originally Posted by IBGary
I like the clunk. This is my 6th bike and 1st Harley. I've read about the clunk for years. I thought it was a bad thing until I experienced it. The clunk tells me im made the shift. No more of that ??? did it go?, I think so !!! try again. With the clunk I know. I like it.
a good clunk is good. agreed. today I was going up some twisty road and needed to downshift into 3rd to keep my speed, and the bike just did not want to settle into gear .
just got to get it looked at I rekon.

Old 05-21-2012, 05:43 PM
IBGary
Road Captain

You might have had the engine turning to slow, I've done that on a couple of down shifts.

Quick Reply: shifting noise