Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with Tachometer Install

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 01:29 AM
firstrock
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with Tachometer Install

First off, let me say that any advice is greatly appreciated!

Background:

I am no stranger with wiring and/or diagrams. I just don't it often enough to be 100% certain, therefore I am asking for your comments on this install.

Issue:

I recently purchased a mini-tach for my 07 Sporty. It has two wires coming out the back; Red and black. When I look at the wiring diagram in the HD service manual, I have identified the light green/violet (LGN/V) wire as the data wire.

Before we go any further, a few assumptions:
  • My bike is a 1200L, not a 1200R as indicated in one of the diagrams, so.....
  • I will need to tap in to the LGN/V wire to get RPM data from the ECM
  • I assume that the main harness wiring connector (20B) is where the LGN/V wire will stop on my bike since I have no tach from the factory
So, can I just splice in to the LGN/V wire before the main harness connector (20B), splice this to the RED wire from the tach, and then connect the BLACK wire from the tach to any good ground?

In theory this sounds good to me but what about power for the tach lights?

I wish this would have come with instructions!!

Last edited by firstrock; 08-06-2012 at 03:45 PM.
Old 08-06-2012, 01:38 AM
firstrock
Intermediate

***EDIT***

I just noticed that the LGN/V wire also carries the data for the spedo so I can just tap in to the wire at the spedo, correct?

Old 08-06-2012, 11:57 AM
firstrock
Intermediate

90 views but no one has done this on their bike?

I'm not asking for you to come over and do it for me, LOL. I just want someone who has done this to tell me if I'm on the right track.

Thanks!

Old 08-06-2012, 05:30 PM
09ightster
Novice

prob not much help but is your 07 efi? on my 09 nightster i got my tach signal from "plug" #3 on the speedo connector. it was left open so had to get a pin and pin it into the connector. i believe most of all the efi sportys are the same setup. if all else fails any and all tachs should be a 3 wire hookup. power ground and signal. of course ya know where to get your power and ground for signal if ya cant have any luck finding it from the ecm then do it the traditional way. splice it into the neg of the coil. but check into the #3 pin on the speedo connector see if that works on the 07 xlc. hope it helps a lil. gl.

Old 08-06-2012, 05:49 PM
firstrock
Intermediate

09igntster~

Thanks for the reply! I'll look into plug 3 when I get home. Yes, my Sporty is EFI.

I'm wondering why my "new" tach has only two (Red & Black) wires coming out the back. There doesn't appear to be any data wire but I'll look again when I get home.

Thanks!

Old 08-06-2012, 10:25 PM
R Eggler
Advanced

Is it a Harley tach, or aftermarket? I think something is missing if it's only 2 wires.

Old 08-07-2012, 10:01 AM
09ightster
Novice

Should def be 3 wires. Power wire splice into the power for the speedo/ign (orange with white stripe on the speedo connector) ground spliced to black/ground on speedo connector and signal pinned into slot 3 (empty) on speedo connector that's how I did mine. Im pretty sure the power is orange with white stripe ill double check. And you should check that tach 2 wires def doesn't sound right to me imo

Old 08-08-2012, 05:33 PM
06Sporty75
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

there should be a data wire harness down under the side cover on the battery bracket, that it the easiest place to splice into the data line, be sure to connect the correct data wire because if you dont it will fry the tach. I beleive the blue wire on that harness was the correct wire on my 2006, however you need to double check that.

Instruction maunals are available on the HD webiste, just go to the acessory page on the webiste and the instruction sheet will be linked under the description. here's the one for the mini tach

http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US...ts/-J04106.pdf

Last edited by 06Sporty75; 08-08-2012 at 05:38 PM.
Old 08-08-2012, 11:50 PM
firstrock
Intermediate

Thanks for the help everyone! Got it figured out!

Old 10-16-2012, 05:29 PM
voodoomaster
Novice

How did you finally wire your tach?

Quick Reply: Help with Tachometer Install