Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rough idle when hot.

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2014, 10:37 AM
Cazimere
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rough idle when hot.

Idles fine when cold. After about 10 miles when i come to a stop light she starts idling very rough and if i don't rev the throttle she will sputter and die.
I just took about a 20 mile ride and she did the sputtering thing almost every time i stopped for more than a few seconds. Kind of like she was starving for fuel. Got her home and loosened the gas cap as soon as i stopped. She sputtered one or twice, and then started idling just fine.
Just a fluke or what?
Stock gas cap, new plugs, new air filter. Fresh 93 octane ethanol free gas.

Old 09-07-2014, 07:26 AM
Thumper26
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

I have developed the same problem with my '05 XL1200R and am thinking it might be the crank position sensor. I intend to check the error codes this morning and see if I can zero in on the problem. The bike was just tuned up with new plugs, air cleaner, engine and primary oil change with new filter (they were all over due). I was hoping that would have solved the problem, but it did not.

Old 09-07-2014, 07:35 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,626 Posts

Hard to tell if this corrected your issue, until you add some miles and see if it resurfaces. When's the last time you had the fuel filter(s) changed or carb cleaned/built? Also, make sure the tank vent tube's not plugged/pinched. Keep us posted on the outcome.

Old 09-07-2014, 07:36 AM
MikeLaPlaya
Tourer
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

hi , well i have the iron 2014 , idles rough at the moment , i have changed the fuel injectors , one was clogged up ...also the mechanic said another part gets carbon build up from dirty fuel here ..i am trying to see if that is right ...will let you know ...

Old 09-07-2014, 09:29 AM
Cazimere
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Iceman24
Hard to tell if this corrected your issue, until you add some miles and see if it resurfaces. When's the last time you had the fuel filter(s) changed or carb cleaned/built? Also, make sure the tank vent tube's not plugged/pinched. Keep us posted on the outcome.
I just beat the rain home yesterday. Supposed to rain for a few days. First chance i get, i plan on taking a ride with the gas cap loose, to see what happens.

Old 09-07-2014, 02:23 PM
Thumper26
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Thumper26
I have developed the same problem with my '05 XL1200R and am thinking it might be the crank position sensor. I intend to check the error codes this morning and see if I can zero in on the problem. The bike was just tuned up with new plugs, air cleaner, engine and primary oil change with new filter (they were all over due). I was hoping that would have solved the problem, but it did not.
I just ran through the DTC codes and came up with 0373 and 0374 under "P" which for my carbed bike is the Ignition Control Module. The two codes both name the Crank Position Sensor. I am assuming that installing a new one will solve my idle problem when the engine is warm. Now to find one!

Old 09-08-2014, 03:21 PM
Thumper26
Outstanding HDF Member

Only had to call 2 dealers before I found the #32804-04B Crank Position Sensor for my 2005 XL1200R. I thought I'd have to go through a lot more dealers than that! Anyway, I have picked up but it is raining and the bike is outside (covered). As soon as weather permits, I will git 'er done and check it out!

By the way, the date on the part's package says 01/27/14.

Old 09-10-2014, 02:49 PM
Cazimere
Road Captain

Let us know if it fixes the idle Thumper.

I just went for a ride with the gas cap loose and once it got warmed up it still idled like crap !

Old 09-10-2014, 03:03 PM
Thumper26
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Cazimere
Let us know if it fixes the idle Thumper.

I just went for a ride with the gas cap loose and once it got warmed up it still idled like crap !
It ABSOLUTELY fixed my idle! My idle (after the engine warmed up) was my only problem (oddly, not an issue when the engine was cold). Once the engine was warm, idle would cause the engine to sputter and die. It would re-start, but I had to get on the throttle - fast! If I kept the revs up between 1,500-2,000 I had no problem, but down at idle (like when coming to, or sitting at a light) it would run like a puking puppy and then die. Taking off from a traffic light was hell unless I was really on the throttle and riding the clutch. I think I was lucky and got the Crank Position Sensor swapped out when I did because I believe it was a short matter of time before I would have been stranded. To make sure it is YOUR problem also, you may want to read this thread: http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/s...ad.php?t=34308

Good luck!

Old 09-11-2014, 07:55 AM
Cazimere
Road Captain

Thanks Thumper, just ran my codes and got P0374 also.
Thanks also to cHarley for the DTC Sticky.
Now to find one : )

Quick Reply: Rough idle when hot.