The Dyno Room A special room dedicated for Dyno tuning products, troubleshooting and results. All Gearheads and Dyno Operators are welcome here as well as the guys that are new to tuning. Please see the special rules for this section before posting.

Other Devices: FP3 Initial Map Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2017, 03:00 PM
Paul32730
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default FP3 Initial Map Suggestions

Hello Everyone,

After reading the forums about the FP3 for a couple of days now and having it recently recommended to me by a wrench at my local HD shop I have decided to get one. It gets here Thursday. So to try to get ahead of the game I've been looking through the available maps in Demo mode on the app. I have a 2012 Ultra Limited. Stock motor (no cams or Tb changes), SERT, Rinehart True Duals with 4" mufflers and the SE Stage one air cleaner with the football cover.

I "chatted" with a person at V&H online today and asked for a recommendation for a base map. He suggested the V&H Blackout Rounds Slip-Ons with Standard Baffle. Just wondering if anyone else with a setup like mine ran that map or used something different as a starting place.

I know about dyno-ing, and cam upgrades and so on. Not looking for all that. This is my 6th HD, and I'm not going that in-depth with this one. I bought it a few months ago with the pipes and Stage 1 AC already on it. But I can tell it doesn't run like it could, and it's hot. Not to mention the TBW delay which can be maddening if you aren't used to it. It has a SERT installed by the previous owner at the dealership where he bought it, but it's not set up right for sure.

Thanks for any info on the starting map.

Old 06-06-2017, 06:59 PM
petejoe43
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul32730
Hello Everyone,

After reading the forums about the FP3 for a couple of days now and having it recently recommended to me by a wrench at my local HD shop I have decided to get one. It gets here Thursday. So to try to get ahead of the game I've been looking through the available maps in Demo mode on the app. I have a 2012 Ultra Limited. Stock motor (no cams or Tb changes), SERT, Rinehart True Duals with 4" mufflers and the SE Stage one air cleaner with the football cover.

I "chatted" with a person at V&H online today and asked for a recommendation for a base map. He suggested the V&H Blackout Rounds Slip-Ons with Standard Baffle. Just wondering if anyone else with a setup like mine ran that map or used something different as a starting place.

I know about dyno-ing, and cam upgrades and so on. Not looking for all that. This is my 6th HD, and I'm not going that in-depth with this one. I bought it a few months ago with the pipes and Stage 1 AC already on it. But I can tell it doesn't run like it could, and it's hot. Not to mention the TBW delay which can be maddening if you aren't used to it. It has a SERT installed by the previous owner at the dealership where he bought it, but it's not set up right for sure.

Thanks for any info on the starting map.
If you're already in touch with V&H and they've made a suggestion, you may as well go ahead and give the suggested map a try. With the FP3, you can create and save multiple tunes, change them with a flash in a couple of minutes, and then decide which works best with your riding style. There are a couple of cool settings to play with, like throttle responsiveness, idle rpm, etc. You can also monitor your gauges live if you like. Just mount the phone on the bars, link your BT, and you can customize your gauges however you like. The FP3 is a great tuner for stage 1. There are a few good youtube vids out there on setup/use. Congrats on your FP3, and please follow up after you get settled with a before/after report.

Old 06-06-2017, 07:30 PM
Paul32730
Tourer

Thanks for the input. I am definitely going to start with the map they suggested. I have been reading the experience s of ithe FP3 owners and they all say that V&H are great with assistance and customer care, and to start with their suggestion then autotune as needed.

One of the main reasons I decided to go with the FP3 is the throttle responsivety setting. I was reading about the Throttle Pak because I can't stand the lag in my TBW. (First bike with this feature) I figured I may as well spend a little more and get the tuner.

Lots of really good information on here about the tuner and different set ups. Looking forward to getting on my bike. Will definitely post results.

Old 06-06-2017, 08:09 PM
petejoe43
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

You will be happy with it. I was in touch with Cheyne at V&H on my Stage 1. Everything was great, then I had to go and install cams. Needless to say that changes everything. If I had to do it over again I would, but sure wish I knew then what I know now. The FP3 doesn't do me any good now, but it was the perfect tuner for stage 1. Cams open up a new frontier, and most dyno tuners run Dynojet. I'm going out on a limb here, but I believe in the future the FP3 will offer you the same abilities that the power vision does. V&H's is already dropping hints of future upgrades.
There is a drawback. Once you marry the FP3 and your bike, it's till death do they part. Not really a huge deal if you don't plan on any future upgrades.
My cams put me over 100hp and 120tq on my Ultra. To be honest, it's overkill until my son starts showing off on his Dyna 88. Then his old man has to put him in check real fast. It does bring a smile to my face to show these youngsters that a big Bagger can really move when it's done right!

Old 06-08-2017, 07:24 PM
DaleMc0622
Tourer
Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

I did things like you, I had a chat with a V&H rep and told them my setup, they recommended using the map for the V&H 3 inch slash cut slip-on, (I have Cobra RPT's). Bike ran noticeably smoother and a little cooler. I did run an auto tune but didn't like the way it ran after so I went back to the recommended map. I think you will like it. Good luck
As a side note, Vance and Hines claims that the fp3 will now handle cam upgrades, not sure though.

Old 06-09-2017, 02:26 PM
Paul32730
Tourer
Default Update FP3 Installed

Thanks to those that chimed in with advice. All of it was spot-on. The install
and map download was a breeze. I also adjusted the throttle responsivity setting to moderate as suggested in the V&H video online. I started it up and noticed the cold idle was about 100 rpms faster and that was the case when it warmed up as well. I rode it for about 15 minutes running an errand. It ran smoother and the annoying throttle dip was gone.

When I got back home I reconnected the FP3 and when I tried to connect I got an "ECM not recognized" message. I called customer service, and everyone here was right - they are awesome. The tech I spoke with said the "older" bikes - mine's a 2012 Ultra - sometimes throw that code. For some reason the older bikes like the "run" switch on first, then the ignition switch turned on. He walked me thru connecting after powering up the bike in that manner and it connected no issues.

I told him about still having some popping on decel and asked about autotuning and he told me to run at least two full tanks thru it before I autotune. He said the ecm will constantly correct small issues and I may find that after 50 miles the tune/map I flashed is fine.

All of that makes sense to me after reading about the device here and on the V&H site. I'm very happy so far.