"The Florida Crew" Rides and Information From The Florida Crew.

Octane additve

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 12:20 PM
SoFla
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Octane additve

I have never used an additive in my fuel tank before. But this weekend I tried Lucas Octane Booster. I must say, I noticed the difference immediately in acceleration. It was a bit pricey compared to some of the others available (11.00)... But it treats up to 25 gallons, so I used 1/4 per tank.

Any downside to these additives?

Old 12-20-2011, 12:32 PM
MJ
Elite HDF Member
Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

Hey Steve! How ya doin'? I don't know any thing about the octane booster, but I use the Lucas ethanol treatment. It only takes 2 oz. per 5 gallons. I have noticed it running better and idling smoother. Claims to keep your fuel system cleaner by eliminating the moisture build up. Sounds like it would be good for some one for that lets their bike sit. Mine runs 2 or 3 times a week, but it does seem to help.

Old 12-20-2011, 12:37 PM
SoFla
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Mike, thanks. It
Ride mine every morning to the gym, onto 8 miles roundtrip, then a few joy rides after work a few days a week. I try for a long ride on weekends. So it definetly does not sit.. :-)

Old 12-20-2011, 02:40 PM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 279 Likes on 214 Posts

I haved used Star Tron with good results is not an Octane Booster but fights the nasty's Ethanol can cause.. Improved Gas mileage just a tad .. Not an expert on this stuff but if can get 93 Octane shouldn't need a booster

Old 12-20-2011, 03:27 PM
murph
Elite HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

We're Jerry when you need him. He should know about this stuff. I'm interested. If this is good, I will get a bottle or two.

Old 12-20-2011, 03:55 PM
MJ
Elite HDF Member
Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by JayStronghawk
I haved used Star Tron with good results is not an Octane Booster but fights the nasty's Ethanol can cause.. Improved Gas mileage just a tad .. Not an expert on this stuff but if can get 93 Octane shouldn't need a booster
Same as Jay's the Lucas is not just for bikes that sit. It keeps the whole system clean and helps prevent varnishing in your system. It claims to any way. I can say that it has helped my carbed fuel system.

Old 12-20-2011, 04:39 PM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 279 Likes on 214 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by MJ
Same as Jay's the Lucas is not just for bikes that sit. It keeps the whole system clean and helps prevent varnishing in your system. It claims to any way. I can say that it has helped my carbed fuel system.

Has worked well in both my EVO Carb and the Ultra EFI MJ ..

Old 12-20-2011, 05:37 PM
Just Dave
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I use Star-tron myself and I really notice when I don't, especially in the Road King with the carb.

Old 12-20-2011, 06:26 PM
seph10
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

do a search and find out what octane is and what it does,,,it's not what you may think,,after you find out what octane is and or means,,,then make a informed decision about adding it to your fuel,,a good place to search is,,,"HOW STUFF WORKS.COM...

Old 12-20-2011, 07:35 PM
Gringoloco13
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SoFla
I have never used an additive in my fuel tank before. But this weekend I tried Lucas Octane Booster. I must say, I noticed the difference immediately in acceleration. It was a bit pricey compared to some of the others available (11.00)... But it treats up to 25 gallons, so I used 1/4 per tank.

Any downside to these additives?
Octane doesn't give you more acceleration without tuning (the tune creates more usable power which in turn makes you accelerate faster). All higher grade octane "or raising your octane level" does is make your motor less likely to detonate. So you could run race gas in your bike and it won't change performance one bit (only the money left in your wallet) unless you tune the bike with more timing, lean it out, etc. So adding that stuff to your tank in fact did not increase your acceleration. Not trying to be a d!ck but I have seen these threads over and over again. Now running a lower grade octane than what is recommended can effect acceleration because the motor can detonate and break up the performance. I been racing cars and bikes for over 13 years and know a thing or two about tuning....So don't take this the wrong way just telling you the truth

Quick Reply: Octane additve