"The Florida Crew" Rides and Information From The Florida Crew.

Summer 2012 Trip

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 02:48 PM
murph
Elite HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Summer 2012 Trip

Gabe (Fire Medic) and I are taking a little trip this summer. We are taking the AutoTrain on 7-2-12 to Lorton, Va. ( We understand this will be during the 4th of July holiday) From there we are going up to Washington to see the wall. We might take the time to look at other things, but not sure. From there, we are going over to Front Royal, Va. to get onto Skyline Drive.. The entrance to the Shenandoah Forest. I know there is an entrance fee, but don't care. We plan are riding until Sparta, NC and staying there. From there, we are going to ride down the BlueRidge Parkway to the BlueRidge Motorcycle Campground and then to the Iron Horse Motocycle Lodge. From there we are headed to Alpharetta, Georgia to visit Paul. If he'll have us...lol

Anyone is welcome to join us. This ride is going to be a stop and go event. We may stay longer in one place and may stray off on other roads. If Gabe and I want to stop to look at the world's largest Donut, then we are stopping. This includes Starbucks....lol

If you want to join us, you better book your train ticket. The price goes up and the availability goes down... Typical supply and demand.

Old 05-02-2012, 03:15 PM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 100 Posts

Did this ride a few years ago, book train now. Beware of drivers in DC area, they are the only ones who are worse than Mimai in the US, outside DC is great, Skyline is great. Go here for lunch.\, its an experience, http://www.viennainn.com/, train food is better than plane food, get the upgraded ticket so you can sleep better. If I have time I will ride up and meet you two in Tenn.

Old 05-02-2012, 03:20 PM
dedjr67
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This trip kinda sounds familiar. Shelby and I are doing almost the same thing except I am taking her to see her grandparents in Mass. then riding down alone.

Old 05-02-2012, 03:24 PM
Fire-Medic
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by masterblaster
Did this ride a few years ago, book train now. Beware of drivers in DC area, they are the only ones who are worse than Mimai in the US, outside DC is great, Skyline is great. Go here for lunch.\, its an experience, http://www.viennainn.com/, train food is better than plane food, get the upgraded ticket so you can sleep better. If I have time I will ride up and meet you two in Tenn.

Yeah the tickets are booked brother and we splurged for the private room over the regular seats. I can't wait!

Some might not like the train idea, but for us it just gives us that much more time to ride up north where we would rather be. We will be riding all the way back home though, the train ride is to get us north quicker.

As Murph said any and all are welcome to join for the whole trip, just part of it, whatever. We have a plan/guide on what we want to do when, but it's not set it stone and we will take each day as it comes. We want to enjoy the voyage by stopping and seeing the sights, this is not about how many miles can we ride in the span of time we are gone.

Is it time yet, Murph I can't wait!!!

Old 05-02-2012, 03:26 PM
Fire-Medic
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by dedjr67
This trip kinda sounds familiar. Shelby and I are doing almost the same thing except I am taking her to see her grandparents in Mass. then riding down alone.
We board the train the 2nd of July, when are you going up?

Old 05-02-2012, 03:43 PM
dedjr67
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Fire-Medic
We board the train the 2nd of July, when are you going up?
We are heading up June 10th I will be leaving the armpit of the country to head back to paradise on the 23 of June.

Old 05-02-2012, 03:47 PM
Fire-Medic
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by dedjr67
We are heading up June 10th I will be leaving the armpit of the country to head back to paradise on the 23 of June.
Oh ok. Was gonna see if we would meet up on your return trip, but you will be back before we even leave most likely.

Old 05-02-2012, 03:58 PM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 100 Posts

Its a good ride on the train, don't worry about what others think, you will get off the train nice and fresh, ready to ride. Hope it doesn't rain like it did on me from the time I got off at Lorton and the whole ride down Skyline and BRP into Fla, it was October so I also froze my *** off. I will say this, it was my first time through the dragon at night, wet and frozen, it was worth the ride, thoroughly enjoyed it.

Old 05-02-2012, 04:00 PM
Fire-Medic
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by masterblaster
Its a good ride on the train, don't worry about what others think, you will get off the train nice and fresh, ready to ride. Hope it doesn't rain like it did on me from the time I got off at Lorton and the whole ride down Skyline and BRP into Fla, it was October so I also froze my *** off. I will say this, it was my first time through the dragon at night, wet and frozen, it was worth the ride, thoroughly enjoyed it.
I haven't been on the dragon yet, and never been up in the Carolinas or surrounding areas on a bike yet, so very much looking forward top the trip.

Thanks for the link to that restaurant, we will see how we can work it in for a meal stop, looks like an interesting place.

Old 05-02-2012, 05:41 PM
Big Gator
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Sounds like a helluva trip. I won't worry about what someone says about taking the train up. It will save you a couple days easy so you can enjoy the trip south. Stay flexible and creative in your route. Getting to determined could throw a wrench in things. Yes, stop take in the sights. Act like a damn tourist.

Ride Safe --- Have Fun

Quick Reply: Summer 2012 Trip