Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

La Perla Solo Install

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2014, 10:49 PM
andyshd
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default La Perla Solo Install

Question:
I took the stock 2 Up seat of my '05 RD Classic and want to install the La Perla Bare Bones Solo seat.

Apparently I need additional hardware to be able to get the screws to attach to the fender (see pics). I am nowhere near an HD dealership.
Could you tell me what I need to accomplish this?

Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails La Perla Solo Install-1.jpg   La Perla Solo Install-2.jpg  
Old 10-19-2014, 08:36 AM
47Norton
Road Captain
Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

I ran a Lepera solo on my 2000 Road King for a while. You have the correct brackets for the seat. The four small screws attach the brackets to the seat. What you are missing is the bolt kit that comes up through the fender. The large holes in the seat bracket sit down on these. That bolt kit is available through HD. I think I got mine with my Sundowner Solo as an extra cost kit. There are a variety of nuts available. Some accept passenger seats or luggage racks. I think this kit also comes with standard Harley sticker shock. Good luck.

Old 10-19-2014, 09:50 AM
andyshd
Cruiser

Originally Posted by 47Norton
I ran a Lepera solo on my 2000 Road King for a while. You have the correct brackets for the seat. The four small screws attach the brackets to the seat. What you are missing is the bolt kit that comes up through the fender. The large holes in the seat bracket sit down on these. That bolt kit is available through HD. I think I got mine with my Sundowner Solo as an extra cost kit. There are a variety of nuts available. Some accept passenger seats or luggage racks. I think this kit also comes with standard Harley sticker shock. Good luck.
Thank you!
Is it a pain to get the bolts through the fender?

Old 10-19-2014, 07:54 PM
andyshd
Cruiser

Well I spent 6 hours in the car driving to two different dealerships. One had the bracket that goes underneath the fender and the other one had the nylon washers and bolts. It's beyond me why those white nylon washers are so large. It looks terrible.
I used fishing line to pull the bracket to the holes in the fender and it worked very well.

Old 10-20-2014, 06:46 AM
47Norton
Road Captain
Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Sounds like you got it done. Good going. As to those white washers, at some point I removed mine. They are pretty ugly.

Old 10-20-2014, 07:15 AM
FatBoy-NH
Advanced
Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Just did the same thing to my RK Police over the weekend. The Police bikes come with the bolts because that's what holds the plastic panel down. It looks like it would be kind of difficult to pull those bolts through from below. I used to have to do this on my old Fatboy when switching between solo and 2 up seats.

Here's a pic of mine. So glad I made the jump from Softail to a Road King, such a different bike.

Old 10-20-2014, 08:51 PM
andyshd
Cruiser

Originally Posted by FatBoy-NH
Just did the same thing to my RK Police over the weekend. The Police bikes come with the bolts because that's what holds the plastic panel down. It looks like it would be kind of difficult to pull those bolts through from below. I used to have to do this on my old Fatboy when switching between solo and 2 up seats.

Here's a pic of mine. So glad I made the jump from Softail to a Road King, such a different bike.

It went surprisingly well to get the plate and threads to come through the fender - probably because I took it real slow. I tied fishing line to the top of one of the threads. The most challenging part was to wiggle the plate inside between the fender and tire. I was able to get the one thread through one hole and was then able to manipulate the plate for the other thread/bolt to come through the other hole. I made sure I had the washers within arm's length

Old 10-20-2014, 09:08 PM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts

The big plastic washers hold the bolt kit from falling back through when you remove the nuts. I imagine you could get some smaller stainless washers and half nuts that would accomplish the same thing.

Old 10-20-2014, 09:11 PM
andyshd
Cruiser

Originally Posted by SafetyMan
The big plastic washers hold the bolt kit from falling back through when you remove the nuts. I imagine you could get some smaller stainless washers and half nuts that would accomplish the same thing.
Yes, but I think they are also supposed to protect the paint/fender. I think I will just cut them smaller so that they will still protect the area where the nut will sit, but won't be as visible anymore.

Old 10-21-2014, 04:39 AM
BadX
Elite HDF Member
Received 88 Likes on 49 Posts

Someone must have removed the missing parts because that part is what holds the wiring harness to the rear fender.

Quick Reply: La Perla Solo Install