Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake fluid change

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2015, 06:00 PM
Gitarded
Road Master
Received 133 Likes on 92 Posts
Default Brake fluid change

Do you guys change out your brake fluid when you put new pads on. If so, how are you doing it? Do you just suck the fluid out of the reservoir and replace it?

Thanks!

Old 01-21-2015, 06:19 PM
gerjets
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not me. I change my pads when needed and my brake fluid yearly...which is too early for many.

There are several brake bleeders on the market. I use a Mityvac MV8500.

Old 01-21-2015, 06:22 PM
dibe
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I replace mine every two years. I believe that is what the service manual calls for as well.

I use a little cheapie vacuum bleeder I bought at Harbor Freight. I get a big container of DOT5. I use half to bleed the front break and half to bleed the back break. Here is a link Vacuum Bleeder.

Old 01-21-2015, 07:10 PM
Smokey Stover
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts

let me be the first to recomend Speed Bleeders. They make it easy. I use an old turkey baster to pull out most of ther old fluid (Not all don't risk air getting in line) Fill master and slowly pump new fluid through until fresh comes out the bleeder. I use 2 bottles one half for each front and one half for rear flush and top off with last half.

Old 01-21-2015, 09:36 PM
wscott
Road Warrior
Received 136 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Smokey Stover
let me be the first to recomend Speed Bleeders. They make it easy. I use an old turkey baster to pull out most of ther old fluid (Not all don't risk air getting in line) Fill master and slowly pump new fluid through until fresh comes out the bleeder. I use 2 bottles one half for each front and one half for rear flush and top off with last half.
======================

Question on same subject is if the bike has ABS can you still use a myte vac or speed bleeders to flush/replace brake fluid?

I ask that because i could swear i read someplace you have to take the bike to dealer for brake fulid change because SUPPOSEDLY a computer is required to do so with ABS and dont know if thats really the case or not and would like to do that to my 09 FLHTCU if i possible.

So whats the verdict on it?

Scott

Old 01-21-2015, 09:59 PM
Hausguy
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by wscott
======================

Question on same subject is if the bike has ABS can you still use a myte vac or speed bleeders to flush/replace brake fluid?

I ask that because i could swear i read someplace you have to take the bike to dealer for brake fulid change because SUPPOSEDLY a computer is required to do so with ABS and dont know if thats really the case or not and would like to do that to my 09 FLHTCU if i possible.

So whats the verdict on it?

Scott
You don't need to take it to the dealer...just don't power up the bike until you've completed the job. I'm a novice but this was an easy job with Speedbleeders.

Also, someone here mentioned use of Dot 5...Mine takes Dot 4 so you'll want to make sure you get the right stuff.

Old 01-21-2015, 10:18 PM
fjr215rk
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 on dibe's method. The Harbor Freight tool is slicker than snot on a doorknob. First suck out the master cylinder and wipe out with denatured alcohol. You would be amazed how filthy they get. Fill with fresh fluid and start to bleed. Bleed each caliper with the suction from the tool until fresh fluid is seen coming from the bleeder. Make sure to check and refill the master cylinder often so it does not empty and pull air into the lines. Always keep the suction going as you close each bleeder to prevent air from entering at the bleeder threads. When you complete all calipers, you have all the old fluid contained in the tool container and fresh fluid in the whole system. Could not be easier. Brake fluid is hygroscopic (absorbs moisture) and needs to be replaced regularly. I used this method also on a Yamaha FJR with ABS and it worked fine.

Old 01-21-2015, 11:35 PM
wscott
Road Warrior
Received 136 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Hausguy
You don't need to take it to the dealer...just don't power up the bike until you've completed the job. I'm a novice but this was an easy job with Speedbleeders.

Also, someone here mentioned use of Dot 5...Mine takes Dot 4 so you'll want to make sure you get the right stuff.
===========================================

Hausguy,thanks for the info,i appreciate it!

Scott

Old 01-22-2015, 04:59 AM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team

Received 1,249 Likes on 812 Posts

Bleeding an ABS system without actuating it means you've only bled part of the system.

Use the right fluid. Dot 5 silicone in a non-abs bike. Dot 3,4,5.1 in an abs bike. Mix at your own peril.

Speed bleeders and vacuum pumps are a way to spend money on methods of brake bleeding that work no better than a bit of tubing and a jar. But, many like them. Run the tubing from the bleeder to the jar, with a bit of fluid in the jar and the end of the tubing in that fluid. Crack the bleeder and let viscosity and gravity do their thing.

Old 01-22-2015, 05:13 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,622 Posts

Quick Reply: Brake fluid change