Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

road king or heritage classic

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 04:03 PM
me29
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default road king or heritage classic

need your opinion.

Deciding between a road king or heritage classic.

Pros Road King: Love everything about the bike.
Cons: I am 5'2 with maybe a 26" inseam. Will have to get it lowered 1". If I do that will the center of gravity become like a heritage classic where it is real easy to move around, or will it still be top heavy?

Heritage Classic : easy to move around
Cons: do not like spoke wheels and soft saddlebags.

Thanks.

Old 02-23-2015, 04:13 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,361 Likes on 2,616 Posts

Having owned both, I think you should go with a Heritage, depending on what kind of riding you do. If you do a lot of touring, you'd probably be better off with a Road King. However, if you dont mind not having cruise control on long trips, I'd say Heritage.

Here's the thing - a Heritage rides low, it handles great and is very nimble. If you dont like soft bags, you dont have to use them. If you tour 1-up, get a docking kit, passenger backrest and a luggage rack, and you'd have a ton of storage.

The only draw back on long trips is 1 gallon less fuel than a Road King.

I traded my Heritage for a Road King (then subsequently a Road Glide).

They had my Heritage at the dealership for close to a year before they sold it. After a few months on my Road King, I sat on my Heritage for ***** and grins, and I have to tell you it felt like a freakin *sportster*.

I do miss my Heritage, it was *fun* to ride!

Last edited by Keithhu; 02-23-2015 at 04:15 PM.
Old 02-23-2015, 04:21 PM
roadking2014
Road Warrior

"Easy to move around". That is the best answer I've seen, I applaud your honesty and think you answered your own question.

Old 02-23-2015, 04:28 PM
bklynbob
Grand HDF Member
Received 530 Likes on 376 Posts

The high center of gravity of the road king make it feel heavier thani t rally is.my buddy is a little taller than you but found the king uncomfortable. He sold it and got a heritage. His only problem with the heritage for him was the passenger pad. Got one from a fatboy low an loves the bike. Good luck.

Old 02-23-2015, 04:34 PM
hdgzr
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,869 Likes on 595 Posts

I traded a Heritage for my RK. My son, who's about your size, rode both. He said as far as duck-walking the bike, he'd choose the Heritage. But once you're rolling, hands-down goes to the RK.
You can get the seat cut down, plus shorter shocks; that should make the RK more livable. I'd say go ride a couple if possible. Good luck...

Old 02-23-2015, 04:35 PM
somorkc
Cruiser

Originally Posted by bklynbob
The high center of gravity of the road king make it feel heavier thani t rally is.my buddy is a little taller than you but found the king uncomfortable. He sold it and got a heritage. His only problem with the heritage for him was the passenger pad. Got one from a fatboy low an loves the bike. Good luck.
Heritage add some hard bags and a tour pak. My son has a deluxe we added those to. Looks sharp. I'll post a pic on this thread when I get off work

Old 02-23-2015, 04:46 PM
swifty
Tourer
Received 87 Likes on 39 Posts

I test rode a king first, But the seat kept sliding me forward towards the tank. When I got back to the dealer I asked him if he had a heritage in the same color as the king,, before I got it out of the parking lot I knew I was buying that bike!!!! .
Test ride both or if you can rent each and then you will truly have your answer. Its a hundred bucks a day to rent plus insurance, But the bike its costing you 20 grand. Seems kind of a drop in the bucket to be sure your getting what you want!!!!!

Old 02-23-2015, 06:14 PM
Roadie09
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You really just need to be serious with yourself on what you are going to do with the bike. Are you going to ride multiple hours at a time on the open road or are you going to spend the majority of your time in a town/city type environment.

I have owned both. You can tour on the Heritage just fine, but it is no Road King.

With a 26" inseam, the Heritage will be a lot easier moving around in stop and go traffic and normal town driving/parking.

If you are willing to put in the practice, and do slow speed drills on the Road King you would be surprised how easy riding a bigger bike can be. You just have to be diligent about planning ahead when parking/stopping so you do not trap yourself in a bad position.

Both bikes are very good machines, so there is no wrong or bad choice. Just choose the right tool for the job you will be doing.

Old 02-23-2015, 06:50 PM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Keithhu
Here's the thing - a Heritage rides low, it handles great and is very nimble.
OP, I can't help you on the height questions because I have the opposite problem of being too tall for the stock set up on the Road King. But there are many on the forum that have addressed the shorter legs issue with seat selection and/or seat modification.

But I do have to respectfully disagree with the poster quoted above. In my opinion, the Heritage does not handle well and is anything but nimble. In order to get the low-slung softail look, the MoCo sacrificed lean angles. There is an 8-9 degree difference in lean angle between the Heritage and the Road King. That's alot. So the Heritage won't lean as far and you therefore can't take the twisties as fast or tight. That to me is not nimble. But don't take my word for it. The MoCo publishes the lean angles.

I think everyone will agree that the Road King is also more comfortable for longer trips.

Old 02-23-2015, 07:48 PM
sixguns
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,458 Likes on 755 Posts

There really is only one answer to the which bike should I get question. Go test ride them, and you will find the answer. No one else's opinion matters.

Quick Reply: road king or heritage classic