Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

brake lights?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2015, 02:40 PM
hellbilly78
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default brake lights?

Hey guys quick question. I have a bad dad rear fender with flush mount lights on my 2012 sg. It uses a badlands load equalizer. Ive been runnin it for about 2 months without and issue, this mornin when i started the bike and walked to the back of it. My lights were fine then a couple seconds later i noticed the brake lights were stuck on. Any suggestions on this? Possibly the load equalizer? The cruise control works just fine and shuts off when i tap the brakes so wouldnt that rule out the brake switches?

Old 05-17-2015, 07:30 PM
Roadman56
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could be the socket for the bulb...Had that problem w the stock fixture....Good Luck

Old 05-17-2015, 09:29 PM
hellbilly78
Tourer

These are led so i dont think that would be the issue. At least i hope its not in the lights themselves cause they are glassed into the fender.

Old 05-18-2015, 07:35 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,853 Likes on 2,420 Posts

Could be one of your brake light switches has stuck on or developed a fault, or a wiring issue. Most electrical problems like this are actually mechanical - in other words something pretty obvious (when found!) and easy to fix.

Old 05-18-2015, 08:24 PM
hellbilly78
Tourer

Originally Posted by grbrown
Could be one of your brake light switches has stuck on or developed a fault, or a wiring issue. Most electrical problems like this are actually mechanical - in other words something pretty obvious (when found!) and easy to fix.
Im thinkin it may be the load equalizer. I didnt get a chance to call bad dad today to talk to them. But its the only thing i can come up with because my cruise control works which should rule out the brake switches. when i squeeze the brake lever i can here a clicking which makes me think that the flasher relay or whatever is working correctly. My turn signals work right. its just the break lights are stuck on. So i think the load equalizer has to be messed up and is sending to much power into the lights. Does this sound like a logical theory? Or am i skippin over somethin else that i should look at? if i had a wiring diagram of which color wire was to function what i would be better able to track the source of the problem

Old 05-19-2015, 04:12 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,853 Likes on 2,420 Posts

You could be right, however do the really simple checks first! It is dead easy to disconnect each brake light switch, one at a time, to see if the brake light goes out. There is a wiring diagram in your factory service manual - if you don't have one now would be a good time to......

Old 05-19-2015, 10:55 PM
hellbilly78
Tourer

Originally Posted by grbrown
You could be right, however do the really simple checks first! It is dead easy to disconnect each brake light switch, one at a time, to see if the brake light goes out. There is a wiring diagram in your factory service manual - if you don't have one now would be a good time to......
I had contacted bad dad today and talked to them. We have come to the conclusion its somethin in the load equalizer which they claim is rare but as any electronic happens ocassionaly. Usin a test light on the prongs to the plugs with the ignition on shows power for the run lights and only power to the middle prong when the brakes are being used. The 3rd prong is the ground. So hopefully this is just one of those rare cases that its the load equalizer and wont be an ongoin problem after time of use.