Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear ABS Sensor Location

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2015, 07:37 PM
SlimsSG
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear ABS Sensor Location

Ok, stupid question, and I take full responsibility for being dumb. I got ahead of myself today and forgot to take note of the rear wheel spacers, ABS sensor, etc as I was changing out my rear wheel. Here we go:

2014 street glide special, ABS brakes. On the rear right side what is the sequence? I believe it to be this working from the hub outward. Spacer, ABS sensor/spacer, caliper bracket, cam washer, nut, retaining clip.

Is this correct? I have ordered a manuel but seeing that I've owned the bike for 48 hours I just haven't received it yet.

I guess I got so excited to put the new wheels on it I forgot to take inventory. Lesson learned...

Old 05-28-2015, 09:01 PM
14GuineaPig
Stellar HDF Member
Received 512 Likes on 444 Posts

Slide axel thru left side of rear fork, external spacer (thin), sprocket and into wheel hub.
Note: Grooves on external spacer, or index pin on rear WSS (if ABS equipped) must be on the outboard side.
Push axle thru WSS (if ABS equipped) or external spacer (thick), caliper bracket and right side of rear fork.
Rotate axle so that flat on the threaded area is topside. With the cam forward, install adjuster cam on the end of the axle.

http://www.granitestateharleystore.c...7C~WHEEL%5CKRM

Last edited by 14GuineaPig; 05-28-2015 at 09:16 PM.
Old 05-28-2015, 09:02 PM
leon anthony
Road Warrior
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

on the right side looking at it with it all assembled you will see the e clip then the cone nit then the adjuster cam then the speed sensor assemble in the reverse order

Old 05-28-2015, 09:16 PM
leon anthony
Road Warrior

scroll down to the post about part found under bike the is a big diagram on that ost big and easy to see

Old 05-28-2015, 09:20 PM
SlimsSG
Tourer

Thanks, but still a bit confused.

In the diagram it shows a spacer after the sensor, but yet it says in the description "non-ABS". I have that spacer, and ABS. And to top it off it seems like that spacer won't fit in there, but yet it fell out when I took the stock wheel off...

Old 05-28-2015, 10:03 PM
leon anthony
Road Warrior

do you have a ABS wheel bearing in the new wheel?

Old 05-28-2015, 10:11 PM
SlimsSG
Tourer

Originally Posted by leon anthony
do you have a ABS wheel bearing in the new wheel?
99% sure, but will call the place I got the wheels from tomorrow to verify.

Old 05-28-2015, 10:35 PM
p51bombay
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Stop and think for a minute, in order for the ABS sensor to work where does it need to be? The answer should be right up next to the ABS encoded bearing. On the right side of ABS equipped models, the sensor IS the spacer so it goes bearing - sensor - caliper bracket. And there is a small notch/stop on the bracket for the sensor to butt up against so it doesn't spin. Photo from underneath.

Old 05-28-2015, 10:43 PM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,235 Likes on 999 Posts

Originally Posted by SlimsSG
Thanks, but still a bit confused. In the diagram it shows a spacer after the sensor, but yet it says in the description "non-ABS". I have that spacer, and ABS. And to top it off it seems like that spacer won't fit in there, but yet it fell out when I took the stock wheel off...
How wide is the spacer that you have? The only spacer that you should have will go between the swing arm and the pulley. Once you get it back together, make sure to rotate the abs sensor till the stop tab hits the caliper bracket before you tighten everything up.

2010 Limited with some stuff

Old 05-29-2015, 05:58 AM
SlimsSG
Tourer

Originally Posted by SBates08
How wide is the spacer that you have? The only spacer that you should have will go between the swing arm and the pulley. Once you get it back together, make sure to rotate the abs sensor till the stop tab hits the caliper bracket before you tighten everything up.

2010 Limited with some stuff
The spacer is 1/4" wide. It must be the spacer for the pully side - I just thought it fell out way before I had the axle out, therefore I thought it came from the caliper side.

The pic from underneath posted above still has me puzzled. It looks like there is another spacer between the ABS sensor and the caliper bracket. That's what I thought this was.

Quick Reply: Rear ABS Sensor Location