Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4 Point Docking Hardware Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2015, 09:21 AM
KWaller
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4 Point Docking Hardware Question

Just wondering if anyone else has had issues getting their 4 point docking hardware to align with their sissy bar quick connect clips? I can't imagine that I installed the hardware wrong as there isn't too much too it.

The forward dock points on the shocks are a perfect fit, naturally, and then the forward docking point of the 4 point hardware (or rear attachment point of the sissy bar) seems to be a miss... It's almost as if the spacer is a quarter inch to a 1/2 inch too wide. I removed the washer and, while it helped a little bit, it still was way off.

I have a '12 RK and bought the correct 4 point docking hardware from an HD dealership. I am aware that 4 point docking hardware has changed for '14 & '15, and bought the one made for '09-'13. Additionally, I bought the backrest from another member here and he took it off of a '10 street glide, and from what I understand, there shouldn't be an issue with the sissy bar & backrest fitting my scoot, as I believe that the 4 point docking hardware is the same for all touring models within the same year range. So going from a street glide to road king shouldn't matter. (let me know if I'm wrong here)

Also, I believe the spacers (for the forward points) are different in the '14 & '15 docking kits and am thinking that perhaps the wrong ones were placed in my kit. However, I don't know if the '14/'15s are not as wide as the '09-'13 spacers.

I have attached a photo here illustrating how far the miss is and have spoken to a couple of other members who have said to "bend" the docking points on the rear of the sissy bar to fit the hardware. My problem with that is if I do this, then the plastic clips will be on an angle and will never sit right. Also, I shouldn't have to bend the sissy bar to make this fit, am I right?

Anyone who's had a similar experience and/or knows a fix for me, I would really appreciate a pointer to get it corrected...

Thanks in advance!

KDubs

Attached Thumbnails 4 Point Docking Hardware Question-4-point-dock-sissy-bar-missjpg.jpg  
Old 08-27-2015, 09:45 AM
Weavr99FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
Default 4 Point Docking Hardware Question

Looks the same as others I have seen. Leaves room for a luggage rack to also be used. The front mount of the luggage rack fits over the chrome of the docking mount on the inner side of the backrest.... If that makes sense.

Old 08-27-2015, 10:00 AM
KWaller
Intermediate

Yep, that makes sense... Just not sure why the sissy bar connection point is that far off. It's not that it need to be bent in, it would appear that the sissy bar connection points need to be bent out about 1/4 inch each, but then the black quick connects won't sit right and would be on an angle.

Super frustrating....

Anyone else had this happen to them or see something wrong with the pic? Or know if HD makes different size spacers and maybe I just got the wrong ones included?

Old 08-27-2015, 10:20 AM
p51bombay
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Shouldn't those release mechanisms be on the outside?

Old 08-27-2015, 10:33 AM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,811 Likes on 1,064 Posts

Originally Posted by p51bombay

Old 08-27-2015, 11:16 AM
Rock Chalk
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

they are on the inside on mine, but even so, that wouldn't solve hte issue based on the photos......

wrong size sissy bar??

Last edited by Rock Chalk; 08-27-2015 at 11:19 AM.
Old 08-27-2015, 11:23 AM
KWaller
Intermediate

From all of the pics I've seen, the plastic quick disconnects are all on the inside, perhaps to hide that they're quick disconnect and deter theft. Or maybe just to hide them from being outside. Even the HD catalogue has them on the inside as I think that's how they're designed to be.

Not sure If I can or want to move them to the outside. And if they're supposed to be on the inside, I'd rather keep them the way they're designed. Thanks though...

Old 08-27-2015, 11:24 AM
EricD10563
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 73 Likes on 40 Posts

I had an issue on my 09 Road King dealer installed mounting bracket. The bracket was not right (it was against the inner chrome piece causing wear marks)and the dealer agreed and replaced the bracket and the inner piece and it was fine after that. In my book it's possible that you got a defective bracket.

Old 08-27-2015, 11:25 AM
KWaller
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Rock Chalk
they are on the inside on mine, but even so, that wouldn't solve hte issue based on the photos......

wrong size sissy bar??

I honestly don't think so... It came from another member here with a '10 Street Glide. The hardware should be the same for Road King & Street Glide from the same series or years, ('09-'13), right?

Old 08-27-2015, 12:21 PM
KWaller
Intermediate

Originally Posted by EricD10563
I had an issue on my 09 Road King dealer installed mounting bracket. The bracket was not right (it was against the inner chrome piece causing wear marks)and the dealer agreed and replaced the bracket and the inner piece and it was fine after that. In my book it's possible that you got a defective bracket.
Definitely worth a try to go back to the dealership with the sissy bar and see if it hooks up to other 4 point hardware to see if the sissy bar is right and if the bracket is off...

Quick Reply: 4 Point Docking Hardware Question