Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 Ultra Electrical issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2016, 09:11 PM
bikerdan128
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 2000 Ultra Electrical issue

The 15 amp instruments fuse keeps blowing when the ignition turns on. I had the inner fairing off to remove the front forks to replace the seals and install progressive springs. While I was at it I put the Alloy Art Strong Arm Fairing brackets in because 1 of the stock brackets was broke. I plugged everything in the correct way, no pinched wires, that are visible anyways, and I cannot find anything wrong. The bike starts and runs fine. Radio works. Lights work. Blinkers won't blink but they do come on. The only gauge that works is the speedometer. No neutral light either. I'm trying to avoid paying someone to figure this out for me. In a perfect world one of you guys out there have come across this problem and you'll say " Oh yea, that's easy, just blah blah blah and the problem will be gone". I don't actually expect that, but it would be nice. Anyways, I always get good tips from the people on this forum. It's great. I'm sure I have left out some info or overlooked something that somebody finds obvious. I am not very good at electrical issues but can usually figure things out. Any help or advice is appreciated.

Old 03-17-2016, 01:30 PM
hutchjh828
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had that happen to me one on my 2003 classic, got on here and someone told me that the wires under the front finder to the finder light might be messed up, then I happen to remember I had run over a very small tree limb in the highway and a piece of the limb, very small twig had rolled up under the finder and disturbed the wiring, pulled the front tire off everything looked fine, so I replaced the fuse then every thing was fine. that was about a year ago. Everything is doing fine now.
So you might have a pinched wire somewhere, Sorry hope this helps!

Old 03-17-2016, 01:59 PM
kicnit
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bikerdan128
The 15 amp instruments fuse keeps blowing when the ignition turns on. I had the inner fairing off to remove the front forks to replace the seals and install progressive springs. While I was at it I put the Alloy Art Strong Arm Fairing brackets in because 1 of the stock brackets was broke. I plugged everything in the correct way, no pinched wires, that are visible anyways, and I cannot find anything wrong. The bike starts and runs fine. Radio works. Lights work. Blinkers won't blink but they do come on. The only gauge that works is the speedometer. No neutral light either. I'm trying to avoid paying someone to figure this out for me. In a perfect world one of you guys out there have come across this problem and you'll say " Oh yea, that's easy, just blah blah blah and the problem will be gone". I don't actually expect that, but it would be nice. Anyways, I always get good tips from the people on this forum. It's great. I'm sure I have left out some info or overlooked something that somebody finds obvious. I am not very good at electrical issues but can usually figure things out. Any help or advice is appreciated.
I had a similar issue when I first got my bike. The last owner had put an aftermarket ignition on the bike. One of the tabs was corroded, and severed where the harness plugs into the ignition switch under the console. Doesnt seem all that likely, but might be a good idea to check.

Kyle

Old 03-17-2016, 05:43 PM
Vernal
Club Member
Received 7,291 Likes on 1,905 Posts

The closest schematics I have are for an 04. Don't know if they are the same but if you look at the pictures you'll see what I'm talking about. My guess is a pinched or nicked orange wire in the fairing or maybe a pin in a connector. Unplug connector 1 a&b and pull the fuse, check continuity to ground on the orange wire pin 1 (?) back to the fuse. If no continuity to grd the wire is good. Plug connector 1 back together and unplug connector 21 to the indicator lamps. Look close at the Orange wire it goes to the Speedo, Tach, and all the gauges see if you can see any place it's pinched or rubbed through. Put a fuse in and see if it blows. Pull the fuel pump fuse and you may even hear the spark. Just continue checking like that you'll find it.
Good Luck
Bill

Old 03-17-2016, 08:26 PM
14GuineaPig
Stellar HDF Member
Received 512 Likes on 444 Posts

You can try looking at this, I think it's for your 2000 Ultra. I looked and I can't figure out how the radio, speedometer, and lights can work when they seem to get power thru the 15A Acc fuse that you say blows. I also can't think of what can cause the directionals to light up but not blink. Maybe Bill can see something in the wiring diagram that I'm missing.

Old 03-17-2016, 08:55 PM
bikerdan128
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the responses fellas. I think it has something to do with the orange wire also. It is the instruments fuse not the acc fuse that blows. Sorry for any confusion. The manual I have is a Clymer. I'm not too happy with it as the wiring diagram doesn't look complete. I will use the pics you guys posted as they seem more complete. I don't work this weekend so I plan on having this figured out before Monday. I will keep you guys posted. I'm considering buying a pdf. manual. Does anyone have experience with these?

Old 03-17-2016, 09:06 PM
Vernal
Club Member

Originally Posted by bikerdan128
Thanks for the responses fellas. I think it has something to do with the orange wire also. It is the instruments fuse not the acc fuse that blows. Sorry for any confusion. The manual I have is a Clymer. I'm not too happy with it as the wiring diagram doesn't look complete. I will use the pics you guys posted as they seem more complete. I don't work this weekend so I plan on having this figured out before Monday. I will keep you guys posted. I'm considering buying a pdf. manual. Does anyone have experience with these?
Yes Check your in box, not the correct year but will give you an idea.
But for the bikes I own a hard copy of the Service Manual, Electrical Diagnostic Manual and parts Catalog cost less than $150 from Boardtracker and pay for themselves in no time

One of the first manuals I ever bought was a Clymer, and it was the last Clymer I ever bought. They are not as good as the Manufacturers Manual in my opinion.

Last edited by Vernal; 03-17-2016 at 09:13 PM. Reason: Clymer
Old 03-17-2016, 09:15 PM
Vernal
Club Member

Originally Posted by 14GuineaPig
You can try looking at this, I think it's for your 2000 Ultra. I looked and I can't figure out how the radio, speedometer, and lights can work when they seem to get power thru the 15A Acc fuse that you say blows. I also can't think of what can cause the directionals to light up but not blink. Maybe Bill can see something in the wiring diagram that I'm missing.

Charley the turn signals may be a problem on their own

Old 03-17-2016, 09:31 PM
14GuineaPig
Stellar HDF Member
Received 512 Likes on 444 Posts

Bill, just trying to think of a way that they would light up and not flash ... only thing I can think of is TSM but I don't see any connection to the Inst. fuse. From what I can see the Instr fuse powers up the Neutral & Oil Pressure Lights and where the wiring Diag says "to 117" that should go to the Fuel gauge on EFI models. Also this Wiring Diag fails to show the Tach (which is also powered by the Instr fuse on the 2001 model). This daig came from one of the multi year books and leaves something to be desired. It's up to you now, I'm at a loss.

Old 03-18-2016, 06:01 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Certainly buy yourself the factory service manual, which is specific to your year, unlike any of the aftermarket ones, which cover many years and not very well.

As for your problem, it could be as simple as a damaged wire, poor connection or corroded ground, as already mentioned. Many electrical problems like this are actually mechanical and can be fixed once the interruption is repaired. Start inspection at the items that don't work, preferrably using a multimeter to check continuity, inspecting every length of wire and connection as you go. It can be time consuming and frustrating, but once you find it you will have 'doh' moment!

Quick Reply: 2000 Ultra Electrical issue