Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Test rode my ohlins hd159 shocks!

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2016, 05:19 PM
hemi1300
Road Captain
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Test rode my ohlins hd159 shocks!

Installed the shocks on my 14 sgs today, install was a snap and took about 10 minutes. Went for a quick test ride, wow! Didn't adjust the shocks period and they rode fantastic! Purposely hit every imperfection in the road, the small bumps/cracks in the road that normally bounced me around pretty good were almost un-noticeable. A few large bumps on the freeway where I live, that I brace myself to be ejected off the seat when approaching them, were surprisingly very tolerable. I still felt the hit, but not nearly as much, before it would actually hurt my stomach it hit so hard, and numerous times I glanced back to make sure my saddlebags were still attached! If they perform this good on a test run, can't wait to see how they feel when they break in a bit. Gonna leave the settings as is for now on the shocks, give them some ride time before I go tweaking them. Overall, I am very impressed with these shocks and don't regret my purchase one bit!

Old 03-18-2016, 05:24 PM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,405 Likes on 1,593 Posts

Good to hear.

Old 03-18-2016, 05:30 PM
Bumpandrun
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 414 Likes on 297 Posts

Let us know what u think after a few miles.....real interested for my long run 12 ultra. 2 up also. The premium adjustable ones from Harley really made difference from HD air over oil shocks that came with it.

Old 03-18-2016, 05:48 PM
hemi1300
Road Captain

Will do, can't wait to get some miles on them and see how much better they ride!

Old 03-18-2016, 06:04 PM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,405 Likes on 1,593 Posts

They should break in at about 500 miles or so.

Old 03-18-2016, 06:36 PM
wscott
Road Warrior
Received 136 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by hemi1300
Installed the shocks on my 14 sgs today, install was a snap and took about 10 minutes. Went for a quick test ride, wow! Didn't adjust the shocks period and they rode fantastic! Purposely hit every imperfection in the road, the small bumps/cracks in the road that normally bounced me around pretty good were almost un-noticeable. A few large bumps on the freeway where I live, that I brace myself to be ejected off the seat when approaching them, were surprisingly very tolerable. I still felt the hit, but not nearly as much, before it would actually hurt my stomach it hit so hard, and numerous times I glanced back to make sure my saddlebags were still attached! If they perform this good on a test run, can't wait to see how they feel when they break in a bit. Gonna leave the settings as is for now on the shocks, give them some ride time before I go tweaking them. Overall, I am very impressed with these shocks and don't regret my purchase one bit!
==============

That sounds great & glad to hear they worked out well for you!

Did you order hvy duty springs or std dty springs?

From what you describe i'd think you got the std dty springs.

I plan to try diff viscosity oil in rear shocks & if there isnt enough improvement in the harsh ride (very likely the case) i am going to bite the bullet and order Ohlins to end the suffering from the horrible harsh back breaking ride HD's stock airshocks so lovingly provide!/LOL!!.

I will be ordering the Ohlins from Howard,but if i cant get a old of him at the time i have enough $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ on hand to buy the Ohlins i will give FM a shot at it before those bucks end up going towards something else like for example a 103" or maybe even a 107" kit to upgrade my 09 FLHTCU with TC-96"!/LOL!

Scott

Last edited by wscott; 03-18-2016 at 07:24 PM.
Old 03-18-2016, 07:13 PM
hemi1300
Road Captain

[QUOTE=wscott;14953553]==============

That sounds great!

Now when i try diff viscosity oil in rear shocks & if there isnt enough improvement in thew harsh ride (very likely the case) i am going to bite the bullet and order Ohlins to end the suffering from the horrible harsh back breaking ride HD's stock airshocks so lovingly provide!/LOL!!.

I will be ordering the Ohlins from Howard,but if i cant get a old of him at the time i have enough $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ on hand to buy the Ohlins i will give FM a shot at it before those bucks end up going towards something else like for example a 103" or maybe even a 107" kit to upgrade my 09 FLHTCU with TC-96".
Mine are the standard duty springs. Feel the same as u, was ready to order through howard but he was slammed busy bc of bike week. Finally had the funds to buy ohlins and was ready to purchase them now before the wife found out how much I spent on shocks and cut me off lol. Would have rather gone through howard, but have no regrets purchasing straight from ohlins

Old 03-19-2016, 07:13 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,853 Likes on 2,420 Posts

Originally Posted by wscott
==============

That sounds great & glad to hear they worked out well for you!

Excellent choice! However Ohlins don't make only two alternative spring rates, the supplier should offer and install springs of a spring rate suitable for the owner's weight.

Hemi, get around to setting your sag correctly, also bear in mind that you can adjust damping as well. Best leave the damper until you have 500 miles under your belt, but you may well find even better ride quality with sag set.

Old 03-19-2016, 11:35 AM
NAILIT RK
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If that's the case then best not to make any adjustments until one gets a real good feel for what the new shocks are doing and where they will "settle in"

Last edited by NAILIT RK; 03-19-2016 at 11:55 AM.
Old 03-19-2016, 11:43 AM
NAILIT RK
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Been looking at front and rear suspension for my 01 RK, just haven't pulled the trigger. I have though a couple roads near me that I have purposely ridden a bit more aggressive so I can get a good feel for what the bike is doing and just how bad the old suspension is. Coming from riding dirt bikes you are used to the bike moving around and reacting to bumps, dips and potholes. You just kinda ride it out..lol. I've just wrote it off to the bike having "character"!! But really am looking forward to something better. The way it is now it really takes my confidence away when riding at a good pace through twisties etc... Glad you found some nice shocks for your SG

Last edited by NAILIT RK; 03-19-2016 at 11:56 AM.

Quick Reply: Test rode my ohlins hd159 shocks!