Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil puking ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2016, 08:56 AM
dontdropit
Stellar HDF Member
Received 163 Likes on 118 Posts
Default oil puking ?

I have a 2014 Classic and noticed when I replaced the air cleaner that it had been puking oil. I replaced the air cleaner and continued to keep check on it. I have noticed that it is puking oil out the front head and nothing out the rear head. I have lowered the oil level but have not had the opportunity to give it a ride and check on it. Why would it only puke out the front and not the rear?

Old 06-15-2016, 10:03 AM
Big ACE
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

miss understood

Last edited by Big ACE; 06-15-2016 at 10:07 AM.
Old 06-15-2016, 12:04 PM
vizcarmb
Stellar HDF Member
Received 521 Likes on 361 Posts

That's called blow by.

If you replaced your air filter with a super sophisticated one that flows better, oil will puke out of the crank case breather holes. Maybe the front breather tube is positioned in a way where it craps oil out. reposition it and see if that helps

Old 06-15-2016, 03:41 PM
dontdropit
Stellar HDF Member
Received 163 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by vizcarmb
That's called blow by.

If you replaced your air filter with a super sophisticated one that flows better, oil will puke out of the crank case breather holes. Maybe the front breather tube is positioned in a way where it craps oil out. reposition it and see if that helps
It's a bug sucker so not able to change the routing of anything. There was also evidence of puking in the stock filter. This was pretty heavy the stock filter was saturated and dripping in the breather housing. I was running 3.5 qts of oil and I lowered it to 3.0 as I read that this is the number one reason for excessive blow by.

Old 06-15-2016, 04:10 PM
Mirnldi@gmail.com
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dontdropit
It's a bug sucker so not able to change the routing of anything. There was also evidence of puking in the stock filter. This was pretty heavy the stock filter was saturated and dripping in the breather housing. I was running 3.5 qts of oil and I lowered it to 3.0 as I read that this is the number one reason for excessive blow by.
^^^^this works. Do not EVER put 4 quarts in. I used to love when I went to the dealer to buy oil. I'd bring 3 quarts up to the parts counter. The parts guy would say aren't you a qt short? I'd say why buy 4 quarts. The last quart ends up saturating the air filter. He would look at me with this blank look like I didn't know what I was talking about.

Old 06-15-2016, 04:41 PM
wscott
Road Warrior
Received 136 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Mirnldi@gmail.com
^^^^this works. Do not EVER put 4 quarts in. I used to love when I went to the dealer to buy oil. I'd bring 3 quarts up to the parts counter. The parts guy would say aren't you a qt short? I'd say why buy 4 quarts. The last quart ends up saturating the air filter. He would look at me with this blank look like I didn't know what I was talking about.
======================================

Yup,on my 09 96' i find even with an ultracool oil cooler that increases oil capacity a bit & still found that 3.25-3.5qts is max crankcase oil lvl i can run.

If i run more then 3.25-3.5qts oil there will be issues with more oil mist & or blowby being vented thru the crankcase breather system into the stock air cleaner assembly soaking the airfilter itself with oil or it's sent out to an aftermarket crankcase breather setup if the motor has one on it like i got from DKCustoms & installed on my bike .

The external crankcase vent system eliminates the motor from ingesting the hot combustion/crankcase gases laden with hot oil mist into the intake increasing engine temp,oil fouling air filter along with also prematurely carboning up the motor more then normal making it more likely to detonate & decreasing its overall perf too.

So i rec the OP go to an external crankcase vent system ASAP to avoid the above mentioned issues.

Scott

Old 06-15-2016, 05:51 PM
GriffinDenim13FLHX
Road Warrior
Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

When you get ready to do the mod to your air cleaner this thread will help you out some as well.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...-included.html

Then you can go to:
http://www.dkcustomproducts.com/All-...ngines_c76.htm

Problem solved~ hopefully

Last edited by GriffinDenim13FLHX; 06-15-2016 at 06:00 PM. Reason: Links