Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stage 1 A/C Do you have to recalibrate ECM ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2016, 06:53 AM
8828alex
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Stage 1 A/C Do you have to recalibrate ECM ?

I have a 2016 RGU and want to know if I have to recalibrate ECM or can I get away with just installing it with out doing any changes . I have a power vision from last bike and don't want to spend the cash to add this bike on it. Thanks for your help.

Old 06-26-2016, 07:32 AM
Vernal
Club Member
Received 7,308 Likes on 1,907 Posts

Congratulations on the new bike.

This question has been batted around several times and the answers run the gamut from it's already a hi-flow system to the first thing you should buy is a tuner. I called Fuel Moto last year and asked them about the stock AC on a Rushmore and they said the AC is a higher flowing system than previous years but an after market like Big Sucker flows even more. So do you need a tuner, probably not if you're leaving the stock mufflers and headers on but why add the new AC if you are? If you plan to do all three changes then the first thing you should buy is the new license for the PV you can load a stock improved map in it and ride until you can afford the other upgrades.

Call FM Aand DynoJet and ask them what they recommend, I'd be interested to know.
Good Luck, and post a picture of your new ride.

://www.powercommander.com/downloads/Support-Released/Power%20Vision/TechDocs/Power-Vision-Automated-License-8-Retail.pdf

Old 06-26-2016, 07:36 AM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,863 Likes on 4,113 Posts

You probably know the answer. Let me ask this; what was the reason you installed a Power Vision on your last bike?

The answer will be you don't HAVE to but it is generally recommended. Without remapping the ECM, your engine will run quite lean and hot.

Enjoy the new bike.

Old 06-26-2016, 10:04 AM
SIDECAR BOB
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

You probably won't "need" with only an ac change, with out opening up the exhaust your really not going to move much more air, but you will get a noticeable improvement in overall performance with an improved tune even with no other changes. A good tuner will allow you to adjust the tune as you make other upgrades and make your bike rub better and cooler until you do.

Old 06-26-2016, 10:27 AM
OldPhat
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 146 Posts

Stage-I means air cleaner & exhaust upgrades, if all you are doing is adding an aftermarket
air cleaner, then no ECM upgrade is needed. I think you should buy the license for the power
vision for the new Bike, because they run so lean form the factory. It will be worth it at some
point in time for you to improve how that new bike will run.

Old 06-26-2016, 10:31 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 395 Likes on 337 Posts

Originally Posted by OldPhat
Stage-I means air cleaner & exhaust upgrades, if all you are doing is adding an aftermarket
air cleaner, then no ECM upgrade is needed....
...and the point really being that "just an air cleaner" won;t do a thing for making the motor do any more.

so save your money unless you are going to "uncork*" the exhaust as well as the intake at which point you will need tuning compensation ranging from xieds to a download to a piggyback tuner to a replacement ecm.

each of which has different advantages ( complexity IF you know what you are doing- negative results are possible too) and costs $$$

mike

* and that means a performance header or removing the catalytic converter from yours- the aim is to increase flow into and out of the motor

Last edited by mkguitar; 06-26-2016 at 04:09 PM.
Old 06-26-2016, 11:12 AM
OldPhat
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 146 Posts

Mike Is Correct too.

Old 06-26-2016, 03:03 PM
Ultraboy105
Tourer
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Like already mentioned, not worth the money. I bet you would get twice the results by using only a tuner than an A/C. And by eliminating the backing plate the intake noise can be bothersome.

Old 06-26-2016, 03:58 PM
Firenailer
Road Master
Received 133 Likes on 95 Posts

Not an exact answer to your question but - I added V&H Slas Cut Slip Ons first and the ECM compensated fine. Then I added the HD Screaming Eagle Stage 1 A/F and things ran a bit ragged with lots of decel popping. I finished with the V&H FP3 FuelPak set it for the slip Ons and high flow A/F and the RoadKing runs like a Champ.

Would I have needed the tuner with just the A/F can't say for sure - but somewhere down the road if you start making those changes you'll probably need one.