Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Khrome Werks Stretch 2+2 handlebars installation

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2016, 01:06 AM
wildpig1ms
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Khrome Werks Stretch 2+2 handlebars installation

Thought I'd throw this out there for anyone else considering the Khrome Werks 1 inch Stretch 2+2 handlebars for their bike. I installed these on my 2013 Ultra Limited because the H-D Reach handlebars put my wrists at too much of an angle. First, despite what I read on some of the forums and was told by Khrome Werks, the installation did require a longer clutch cable than stock to keep it routed thru the fairing, which I already had due to having the H-D Reach bars installed when I purchased my bike... the brake line did not need replacing. Second, the throttle wiring might would work if it wasn't for that GREEN CONNECTOR and the throttle harness wires being just a little too short to come out the end of the KW handlebars to get to it. On my first go around, I installed the factory throttle wires with the GREEN CONNECTOR by opening up the hole with a drill and dremel under the right side bar (where the wires are to be run internally for the right side controls but I left mine outside) and pulling out the GREEN CONNECTIONS at that hole and put them together and stuffed it back in the handlebar... but when I took the bike for a ride, my check engine light stayed on and my cruise control wouldn't work... I searched the internet and found how to read engine codes and then I searched and searched and finally found a thread on RoadGlide.org by Donk from 2011, who described my problem in detail and how to fix it... turns out that the GREEN CONNECTOR is a source of frustrating problems for many riders... I followed Donk's advice and eliminated the GREEN CONNECTOR and added about 10 inches more wire solving my issues completely... of course, without a connector to pull out and unplug, if I change the handlebar again, I'll have to cut and splice the wires to the throttle again. The GREEN CONNECTOR is a fragile connector... yes, it was aggravating splicing the wires but the inside of the handle bars is small and the GREEN CONNECTOR along with the heated grip connector is just too crowded going around the curve in the handlebar plus it eliminated any potential future throttle wire issues caused from it... I use capital letters describing the GREEN CONNECTOR to keep from using profanity!

As far as the handlebars go, they a major improvement in hand position comfort. I set my bars at a height where the bars are just below the fairing. My knuckles feel the wind flow in this position so I may drop them down another inch if my heated grips can't offset any chill in cooler weather... I've only put about 220 miles on the bike since the install and fix so I'm still feeling out the position of the bars... the hand position is a good bit wider compared to the H-D Reach bars... KW makes a set of Narrow Sweeper 2+2 handlebars that are about 4 inches closer together overall that may have suited me a little better when having to do full lock turning... but, moving the bars down another inch may also make that better as well... we'll see... these bars have a lot of room for up and down adjustment depending on how long your arms are.

The H-D bars have larger slot type holes where the control wires either go in or is used instead of an indention in the metal where the lever clamps are over the wires which is better than the small hole and indention in the KW bars but I didn't think about that before ordering... however, they are american made and were priced right on ebay for $72.42 delivered. H-D wanted about $1500 for a set of 10 inch bars, an extended cable and wire kit, and 8 hours installation. I have a service manual and between it and that thread, I got the deal done... and saved a good chunk of $$. Hope this info helps anyone else looking to install these on a similar bike... oh, I read that the 2014's and up have longer wiring for the handlebars ??? So, don't know if the deal with the throttle wiring and that GREEN CONNECTOR will be as much of an issue if installed on those bikes... but be prepared !

The following users liked this post:
Kruegs (09-17-2016)
Old 09-08-2016, 01:41 AM
crimson13
Elite HDF Member
Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

Hate that you had trouble , the odds on that pos green connecter surviving a bar change is slim to none. I always cut out the green pos and solder my extensions if need be on.
Good post btw.

The following users liked this post:
wildpig1ms (09-08-2016)
Old 04-25-2018, 09:37 AM
aprice1e06
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just installed the Khrome Werks Sweeper 2+2 handlebars on my 2009 Road King. Installed +4" clutch cable and +4" front brake line. Handlebar switch wiring just makes it so I didn't extend. I got the braided +4s from Hill Country TX for a low price. I extended the TBW, plug-and-play 6" extension by Barnett and it worked great. Also put the Kuryakyn wire-adapter, again plug and play to keep my highway lights on when in high beam,