Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2017, 10:09 AM
Mofo67
Stellar HDF Member
Received 802 Likes on 527 Posts
Default Exhaust Question

I've posted questions on here in that past with great response, thanks. So here is my dilemma.
Last summer I installed the HD 110 Tire Sherdder kit. I used the HD 585 cams, high volume oil pump with billet cam plate and a .030 headgasket. The exhaust is a V&H pro-pipe with standard baffle. The results were 119lbtq at about 2,500rpm. It runs great and pulls really well. On my trip to Sturgis I had a short and ruined the compressions releases and the starter clutch. After new compression releases, starter clutch and another tune it has been AWESOME. I've put a total of about 7,000 happy miles on it except for one thing.....the exhaust.
I think the pro-pipe sounds awesome but it is WAY to loud for my style of riding and my age, 50 this year. I mostly ride 200+ mile day trips and then one or two longer trips a year. This years plan is to ride the Gauntlet in GA and then a week long trip to Laconia NH. I find after a day on the interstate even with a 3/4 helmet and the music through the communication device my ears will ring for a day or two, my right ear seems to have been affected permanently. I rode about 800 miles one day and felt the sound almost became disorienting. I don't want to give up a lot of power but I need something quiet.
My thoughts at this point are a Fuel Moto 2/1/2 head pipe and some of their dyno tuned mufflers. I am open to suggestions and realize I will need to have the bike tuned again if I change the exhaust.
I know this is a lot of information but I would like good answers and you need good information to give good answers. Thanks in advance for your help...

Old 01-08-2017, 10:35 AM
TXNT
Road Captain
Received 119 Likes on 88 Posts

My opinion - I feel your pain. I am 57. I have softail with Screamin Eagle duals and no baffles. This thing rocks! Took it on an 800 mile central Texas adventure and my ears were ringing for days. I have started wearing ear plugs when I ride it now, it seems to be worse with my helmet on and I always wear a full face. My 2012 Street Glide is 100% stock with Rinehart slip on’s and seems to be about right. I can ride it all day and not worry (I think?) about hearing loss from pipes but it is bone stock. I also have a metric touring bike with stock pipes, for all day cruising this is the best to me. The stock stuff is best for your ears unless you just gotta have performance and sound. I like the Rineharts on my SG but to each his own, my hearing is important to me as it is to you.

Old 01-08-2017, 10:55 AM
JMC22
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 328 Likes on 243 Posts

I'd look at ear plugs before switching out the pipes, maybe just the right ear - and a half helmet I found doesn't echo the noise as much as a full-face helmet

Old 01-08-2017, 11:41 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 395 Likes on 337 Posts

I use supertrapp supermegs and screaming eagle ( modified) fatshots

the exhaust gasses exit through gaps between disks which are stacked, the more disks, the more gaps , the more flow.
the shape of the gaps breaks up sound waves, and the muffler has a perforated baffle with packing.

the amount of flow will move your peak power response up or down within the rpm range...generally more flow will move the power up in the range, at the expense of low end and vice versa

headers can be 2/1/2 ( my 09 are stock HD -no cat- this is a stock motor) or 2/1 ( my fxr, cams, headwork carb, ignition, 15% overdrive)

I first used the ST's in 1990 for power- the noise control is just an added benefit-

FM now sells the E series which is similar- but are oval instead of round- this is more of a patent thing as the supertrapp design has been around since the 70's
there has to be a difference between using a round disk- where pressure and flow are equal 360º and an oval where the distances are not symmetrical- it could be an advantage in controlling sound waves, but I dunno.
AFAIK FM does really sell these for noise control- they advertise power.

The ST were designed for power, noise control and USFS spark arrest rating...which became a big deal in the later 70's

as you look at exhaust you might do better to check how it will work with your power and the cams- & that it allows peak power where you make peak power.

ears- I have over 40 years in rock and roll on the road- I work for some of your favorite bands.
hearing never gets better- only worse.
loosing acuity is bad- but even worse is unending tinnitus- my ears ring at a higher frequency that I can naturally hear any longer. the tinnitus can fade away or be triggered by an large noise event or exposure- diet, rest and blood pressure influence it.
google house ear institute for info

when touring I use the same pro earpieces I use when at work- shure 535's which keep the noise out and the music in.
they are wired into my FLHTC and help...alot.

I also will not ride close to or behind noisy bikes- while the wind noise ( higher frequency) seems to be the damager- a loud bike can be a triggering noise event...and some pipes are just annoying ...a tinny rattle.

mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 01-08-2017 at 12:17 PM.
Old 01-08-2017, 11:49 AM
DTTJGlide
Stellar HDF Member
Received 236 Likes on 145 Posts

Check with FuelMoto, I'm pretty sure they have an E series muffler to fit your Propipe, it's a disk style muffler like above & can be tuned to your liking. I just looked & it runs $349.95, you might be able to get by without retuning, they will be able to recommend whether you need to or not.

Last edited by DTTJGlide; 01-08-2017 at 11:56 AM.
Old 01-08-2017, 03:57 PM
hellonewman
Club Member
Received 5,739 Likes on 2,472 Posts

Originally Posted by mkguitar
I use supertrapp supermegs and screaming eagle ( modified) fatshots

the exhaust gasses exit through gaps between disks which are stacked, the more disks, the more gaps , the more flow.
the shape of the gaps breaks up sound waves, and the muffler has a perforated baffle with packing.

the amount of flow will move your peak power response up or down within the rpm range...generally more flow will move the power up in the range, at the expense of low end and vice versa

An exhaust tip has a dramatic effect on sound as unlikely as that may.....sound.

Take a 70 challenger vs a 70 road runner, same engine very different sound because of the tips. (have owned a lot of mopars over the years)

My experience with supertrapps on a car is dreadful. The farting sound drives me crazy and its due to the stacked plate design effectively letting the exhaust out through a controlled leak vs straight out through a conventional muffler. Again, the tips have a huge effect on sound and a supertrapp has a sound of its own that adds its signature farting sound to the engine note.

Old 01-08-2017, 04:56 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 237 Posts

Any good aftermarket header: then
Stock mufflers with Fullsac OEM 2.25" baffle mod
Stock mufflers, send to American Custom Exhaust, modify and buy the street friendly baffles
CVO take off mufflers, sound perfect with open header good flow and tuneable
CVO take off mufflers and install Fullsac baffle and screen update with 2.0" baffle.
Kury Crusher Mellows slip ons. On sale right now.