Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ambient temperature.

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2017, 08:55 PM
ORradtech
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 371 Likes on 321 Posts
Default Ambient temperature.

We all know that the ambient temperature guage is pretty much a joke. And I know several people have replaced it with something else. The thing is I'd like to know what the temperature outside is or at least some approximation. I've looked in the FSM and the sensor appears to be mounted on top of the fuel guage inside the faring. That seems like trying to tell the outside temp by putting the thermometer in the attic.
So, I'm going to try to move the sensor someplace less confined and hopefully get a more realistic reading.
Has anyone else tried this and where did you mount the sensor?

Old 06-13-2017, 09:11 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 395 Likes on 337 Posts

many models, the sensor is on the left side of the fork neck

Mike

Old 06-13-2017, 09:15 PM
groupw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 463 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by ORradtech
The thing is I'd like to know what the temperature outside is or at least some approximation.
..... if 'approximation' works for ya, there's little need to find & relocate the sensor to a different, water shielded location
....... sometimes all ya gotta know is if it's cold....... or real cold.

Name:  DSC05765_2.jpg
Views: 889
Size:  102.4 KB

Old 06-13-2017, 09:55 PM
1340hog
Tourer
Received 59 Likes on 55 Posts

i had a 98ultra where the sensor was in the fairing,well that didnt work.moved it on the side of the left fork and it worked alot better.harley change the location of the sensor but not sure what year.my 08 is on the fork behind the fairing.

Old 06-14-2017, 12:37 AM
hamah
Road Warrior
Received 368 Likes on 279 Posts

We all know that the ambient temperature guage is pretty much a joke.
Really? I didn't know that. My temp gauge (wherever the f it is) tells me what the outside air temp is....with accuracy. Somehow I seem to be missing the joke I guess. Anyway here's yet something else The MoCo messed up that can only be fixed by throwing aftermarket dollars at it. Let us know how that goes.

Old 06-14-2017, 01:03 AM
Dew Me
Elite HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

We all know that the ambient temperature guage is pretty much a joke. And I know several people have replaced it with something else.
If we all know it is a joke, then that would include you, so why do you want to know?
If you want to know then it really isn't a joke at all.

The thing is I'd like to know what the temperature outside is
Why???

→Don't you know what the temp is outside if you are outside?

→Don't people talk about the weather enough you know what the temperature is outside all the time whether you want to or not?

→Don't you check the weather b4 riding so you know what to expect, how to dress, and what you maybe should bring with you?

→Don't you have a phone that accurately tells you the temperature on the home screen?

Old 06-14-2017, 06:10 AM
lt1-xjs
Road Master
Received 68 Likes on 65 Posts

I extended the wires and put mine under the triple tree where there was already a hole. Put a dab of silicon on and shove it in.
Ambient temperature.-img_20140901_114227_155.jpg

Old 06-14-2017, 07:18 AM
Frank the Real Biker
Road Master
Received 781 Likes on 302 Posts

Mine is quite accurate. I check it against the weather broadcasts on the radio, thermometers on banks and other buildings, and it seems to be right on the money.

On the other hand, the temp will show much hotter if it has been sitting in the sun for a while and I check it before riding. The same thing happens to my cars and truck. Once I start moving and air circulates into the fairing (or under the hood of the cages) it soon reflects the correct air temp.

Personally I think it's a useless gauge. If I'm out riding I have no real trouble telling if I'm cold, hot, or comfortable. Plus, knowing what the temp is won't change what the temp is.

Just my 2 cents.

Old 06-14-2017, 08:23 AM
Kermie
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 314 Likes on 291 Posts

Yeah, mine is close enough for me. A few days ago, I was riding down I-25, well....riding is questionable, sitting on I-25 is more like it. Anyways, the temp showed to be 99 degrees while sitting. The forecast for that time of day was mid90's. Once traffic started moving it dropped to 96. Close enough.

Old 06-14-2017, 08:47 AM
5150northrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 206 Likes on 171 Posts

Can you say up your meds... lol

Quick Reply: Ambient temperature.