Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil pressure

Old 07-07-2017, 03:41 PM
rwales1
Novice
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default oil pressure

I happened upon this forum and figured I would throw this out there for any feedback for me. I have a 2010 Street glide with 36,000 miles on it I bought used 2 years ago. Just had a new front tire brakes and fluids filter changed before leaving on a trip. 2 1/2 hours on the road and the oil resume starts dropping. to 16 then to about 5-6 before shutting off and coasting to a stop. I search and call the closest harley dealer. they pick it up take it in and I expected to get a hotel room and have it checked out the following week as it was last Friday before the July 4 weekend. He gets a tech to stick around and look at it. He said he smells the synthetic oil burning and I said ya that is what is in it. He noticed the right muffler missing and said that can cause the oil to burn off quicker and should be replaced. The bracket broke and I just had not put a new one on as of yet. He pulled out the dipstick and it is at the add mark. He pulls plugs and looks it over while I go out to the waiting room. End result he said it was low on oil he topped it off and the oil pressure is good, but I should get the muffler on it. I said am I good to get back home and he said ya. He pulled the bike around front I paid the bill and threw the sales mgr a $50 to give the svc guys for sticking around to get it fixed and headed for home. I get about 8 miles down the road roll back the throttle and nothing. I see the oil pressure is at zero and temp is maxed. I shut it off and now the engine was making some again I notice. I call and they pick it up. I told the svc adviser before getting my hotel room that if anything is wrong with the engine that I expect the dealer should take care of it as they said they repaired the problem. Sat morning I talk to the sale manager about maybe just trading it and being done and he says if the engine is scattered it's not worth anything and I say hang on there and repeat what I told the svc guy. Then he checks on my bike comes out and says well it starts and runs. I thought about this later, If my problem is no oil pressure why start it? Then he says that I was told not to drive it, which I never was. I need up renting a car and heading home. The sale mgr says they will tear into it on Monday and see if there is more money to give me on a trade. It's been a week and I have not 1 response to e-mails and phone calls to anyone, sales, service, or the owner. I did get the svc guy to pick up on Thursday and he said he wasn't sure how far they had gotten and he would check and call me back. Nothing. I filed a complaint with the BBB and Harley. I'm beyond disbelief that not one person there couldn't even take 5 minutes to e-mail or call even to say hey we don't think it's our fault come get your bike or whatever. Amazing. My one question for anyone familiar with Harleys is would the oil at the add mark normally be yep topped it off and that is the problem?

Old 07-07-2017, 03:50 PM
Veekness
Elite HDF Member
Received 638 Likes on 494 Posts

Wait...did I read that right? You're out running around with one muffler installed and the other gone?

The following users liked this post:
rwales1 (07-09-2017)
Old 07-07-2017, 03:53 PM
rwales1
Novice

Ya. It's a little loud, but not as bad as rolling in the desert in an armored vehicle. lol

He said I should get it on for emissions specs and it would keep the oil from burning off so fast. I figured I would head home and get it done before the trip.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 07-09-2017 at 11:53 AM.
Old 07-07-2017, 03:56 PM
Veekness
Elite HDF Member

I ask again...you're riding you're bike with one one muffler out of two installed? Do I have that right?

rwales1 (07-09-2017)
Old 07-07-2017, 03:59 PM
rwales1
Novice

Yes. It has one muffler, the left one. The hanger on the right one broke and I have not replaced it as of yet.

Old 07-07-2017, 04:16 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,510 Likes on 3,769 Posts

The muffler gone and the oil at the add mark is not what killed it. Since you got it used, no telling what someone has done to it or treated it. Sure not the dealer's fault. You saw it was OK leaving.

rwales1 (07-09-2017)
Old 07-07-2017, 04:18 PM
Veekness
Elite HDF Member

Your lack of a muffler might not have anything to actually do with your oil problem, but the fact that you'd leave one muffler off instead of getting and installing a three buck bracket DOES speak to your lack of understanding the need for regular repair and maintenance. Not trying to be snarky but I doubt if anyone on this forum is actually gonna be able to assist you too much in lieu of you having a competent mechanic getting a hands on assessment of it.

​​​​​​​Again, without an intent to be mean...I think you may have beat your motorcycle to death!

rwales1 (07-09-2017)
Old 07-07-2017, 04:33 PM
rwales1
Novice

It's run great for 2 years up until that moment on the highway. If I took it in for low oil pressure which they diagnosed and repaired. Then have the same problem a few miles down the road? I have never had an issue like this ever. I take my cars and bikes in. They get fixed. If I ever had anything not right which was never a big deal, the shops would take care of it no charge if it was related. What really pissed me off on the drive home was that he said they told me not to drive it. One thing I can't stand is liars or being called a liar. That really pisses me off. I was ready to stay at a hotel until the following week for them to work on it. I just feel they didn't diagnose it properly. And then to get blown off for a week. Great customer service from a dealership. I would expect better from a dealer. Or is that normal these days?

Old 07-07-2017, 04:39 PM
kojak
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,476 Likes on 1,233 Posts

Originally Posted by rwales1
Yes. It has one muffler, the left one. The hanger on the right one broke and I have not replaced it as of yet.
Holy smokes! How long did you run it without a muffler?

rwales1 (07-09-2017)
Old 07-07-2017, 04:39 PM
rwales1
Novice

I hear ya Veekness. Ive heard worse. lol Oil changes filters and inspections. Got the brakes and tire replaced for this inspection. I've only put 3,000 miles on it in 2 years. Have I taken it to a dealer for the normal interval services since I bought it? No I haven't. I was going to trade it in last year and then decided to go with the new model but didn't want the first year model. Anyway. Thanks for taking the time for your thoughts guys.

Originally Posted by kojak
Holy smokes! How long did you run it without a muffler?
About 2 months now.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 07-09-2017 at 11:54 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: oil pressure