Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Phantom code P0562

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2017, 01:08 PM
glsec507
Tourer
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Phantom code P0562

About a week or so ago I went out to the garage, removed the tender plug from my 06 road king, hopped on and took off. A mile or so down the road I look down and the engine light and battery light were on. Pulled over, shut her down and checked the codes. It flashed P0562, that's it. Started right back up and continued on thinking well I have insurance with a tow so screw it. A couple more miles the engine and battery lights turned off. Got to my destination about 20 miles away shut it off and walked away. The next time I started her the lights came in again about a mile down the road but shut off shortly after during the same trip. They haven't come back on since.

Can a battery tender fail causing a low battery hence low voltage? And by riding it charged it back up? Has anyone experienced a error code that showed up once and went away without any further issues?

Not sure where to start. I am ok with tools and doing minor to moderate repairs but I'm no electrician.

Old 07-13-2017, 02:33 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,362 Likes on 2,617 Posts

I would think it could, yes. Or even if its a good tender, battery could in fact be bad.

Old 07-13-2017, 02:41 PM
glsec507
Tourer

I don't know what the stock battery was but this is an old police bike and I'm fairly certain they replaced the battery but how long ago I have no clue. So I should probably get a new one regardless.

Old 07-13-2017, 04:23 PM
Musician
Road Captain
Received 189 Likes on 136 Posts

I had a similar problem with my '08 FLHT, and it turned out the voltage regulator was going bad. Try resetting the code to see if it comes back. After replacing the regulator, the fault has not returned, and all is well.

Old 07-13-2017, 04:24 PM
glsec507
Tourer

Ok I'll look up how to clear the code and see what happens

Old 12-10-2017, 07:29 AM
lowred
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P0562 code

The code came on my road king last year. Took to the shop got new regulator and battery.Now its back on again,but dont stay on. What could it be now? Maybe something loose?

Old 12-10-2017, 07:36 AM
leachman
Road Captain
Received 92 Likes on 70 Posts

The code could be a history code and until the dealer clears it, it could keep coming back. Now if you don't know how to do the check of battery and regulator along with stator it would be a good idea to bring it to the dealer for them to diagnose.

Old 12-10-2017, 07:47 AM
PDB17UltraRG
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 773 Likes on 735 Posts

With an 06 it very well could be any of the 3 major Electrical components mentioned above in the last post I would start there for sure. Electrical components mentioned above in the last post I would start there for sure

Old 12-10-2017, 09:30 AM
ORradtech
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 371 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by lowred
The code came on my road king last year. Took to the shop got new regulator and battery.Now its back on again,but dont stay on. What could it be now? Maybe something loose?
Could be the same thing. Or could be something different.
You have three choices.
1, get an FSM and learn to do your own work.
2, take it back to the shop
3, do nothing at all

There's too much information just a Google search away for you to expect any meaningful answers from such a vague question on a complicated subject.

Old 12-10-2017, 09:47 AM
EdwardK
Road Warrior
Received 304 Likes on 226 Posts

If the code is recurring after clearing, I would definitely get it checked if your not comfortable doing it yourself.

Simple and free check would be to pull the battery after a ride and take it to an auto parts store or Batteries Plus and have it load tested. If that's good, buy a ten dollar meter and check voltage at the battery with the bike running. It should be at or over 13.5 volts.

After that, you can use that same meter and follow the electrical troubleshooting steps you can find here on the forum by searching to determine stator or regulator . It could be anything but in my experience on my bikes, low voltage is usually the stator. High voltage is the regulator. And one going bad can take out the other so you may need both.

Regulator is very easy to do yourself. Stator not so much.

Good luck!!

Quick Reply: Phantom code P0562