Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad Day

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2017, 06:49 PM
Veekness
Elite HDF Member
Received 638 Likes on 494 Posts

Angryman, check into having those lifter bores sleeved...the day is not lost yet.

The following users liked this post:
PFWiz (09-07-2017)
Old 09-07-2017, 08:49 PM
voodoodrug
Stellar HDF Member
Received 93 Likes on 80 Posts

would anyone suggest smoothing it a bit, throw some modest lifters in like comp 850's and fireing the b*tch up?

Desperite times call for desperite measures

Old 09-07-2017, 09:17 PM
Veekness
Elite HDF Member
Received 638 Likes on 494 Posts

Originally Posted by voodoodrug
would anyone suggest smoothing it a bit, throw some modest lifters in like comp 850's and fireing the b*tch up?

Desperite times call for desperite measures
​​​​​​​Yeah, that actually might work if you couldn't sleeve it. I'm sure there are better wrenches than I that could weigh in on this.

Old 09-08-2017, 07:47 AM
Angryman
Cruiser
Received 63 Likes on 29 Posts

Someone I know had suggested running a dingle ball hone thru it, new lifters and cams and calling it good. Only problem with that is if it does not work I just bought cams and lifters twice. Currently looking into all my options. Crate engine, rebuild what I have to 117 or so, just rebuild what I have to what it was. While the crate engine would be nice with a warranty and all it would take me a few years to come up with that kinda coin. So I think that's out. I am currently leaning towards a rebuild to 117 or so utilizing all the parts from my engine that I can to try and keep costs down. I could pay as I go over the winter and hopefully be ready next spring. Hopefully. I need to figure out the cases 1st thing.

Old 09-08-2017, 08:04 AM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team

Received 1,241 Likes on 808 Posts

Personally, I wouldn't recommend honing and riding. Yes, you could get away with it, but I wouldn't expect it to last. The damaged area is the area that most supports the lifter against the side thrust as the cam lobe lifts it. That's likely to lead to failure again.

If you were stuck in the desert or something, sure. But since it's nearing the end of the riding season, I'd say it'd be best to just fix it right as a winter project. Sleeving is a very viable option, or the total rebuild if you want to do more to the engine.

Old 09-08-2017, 08:04 AM
Joe12RK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,408 Likes on 879 Posts

As exciting 117cu in sounds, if you are trying to keep costs down, just re-use your top end with new rings and gaskets. Get some small block chevy lifters - they live forever and are cheap. But you should sleeve the block. It sucks that you can't just replace lifter blocks like older bikes. Saved HD a few bucks, but costs you hundreds. Good luck whatever you decide.

Old 09-08-2017, 11:26 AM
xcbullet
Road Warrior
Received 259 Likes on 221 Posts

I have new take off Cam's & lifters. There yours for the cost of shipping if u want PM me. Also have pistons and rings this is 96 CI stuff.

Old 09-08-2017, 11:33 AM
QNman
Supporter
Received 3,706 Likes on 1,987 Posts

Damn, OP. That just bites.

Any possibility you have the tools and mechanical inclination to tear it down by yourself? It'd save you many Benjamins....

Old 09-08-2017, 11:56 AM
Angryman
Cruiser
Received 63 Likes on 29 Posts

I have most of the tools and the ability to tear down myself. Probably to rebuild it myself to. Not to sure about the inclination tho, lol. Talked with a local Indy that was recommended to me and he thinks we can salvage some of my old parts, sprinkle in some new and build a nice 117 for about $4500. I am leaning towards doing what I can over the winter to get that cash together and go that way. Who knows? I am sure my plans will change 100 times before I get anything done.

Old 09-08-2017, 03:04 PM
CalgaryBikeBum
Tourer
Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

You can buy a complete block assembly from Harley for about $600 (if my memory serves me but usually doesn't) If crank is okay and oil pump etc you might be ok.

Quick Reply: Bad Day