Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broken Clutch cable

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2017, 05:20 PM
gramps49
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken Clutch cable

I have a 2011 HD Wide Glide and the cable broke at the clutch lever. I have 12in apes on it and have ordered the cable. How difficult will it be to install the new cable. The cable is apprx 69 to 70 inches. How difficult will it be for me to install this as this will be my first time?

Old 09-08-2017, 05:40 PM
Veekness
Elite HDF Member
Received 638 Likes on 494 Posts

Originally Posted by gramps49
I have a 2011 HD Wide Glide and the cable broke at the clutch lever. I have 12in apes on it and have ordered the cable. How difficult will it be to install the new cable. The cable is apprx 69 to 70 inches. How difficult will it be for me to install this as this will be my first time?
​​​​​​​Take a peek at your factory service manual and decide if YOU have the skills. Would be easy peasy for me but I don't know if you're capable. Many folks are not.

Old 09-08-2017, 07:18 PM
gramps49
4th Gear

I have always had mechanics do my warranty work and since this is not covered I will give it a shot. I have replace the carb and rejetted it on my sporty when I had it. This doesn't look that to terribly bad. I know I will have to pull the exhaust pipes and I know that I have to be careful when I pull the cable and to pay very close attention on how it connects. I was hoping for more insight on the procedure from someone that has been down this road before.

Old 09-08-2017, 08:46 PM
svarnster
Road Warrior
Received 295 Likes on 240 Posts

go to you tube it is easy. takes a little time . depending on exhaust sometimes u can fudge a little

Old 09-08-2017, 09:34 PM
Veekness
Elite HDF Member
Received 638 Likes on 494 Posts

Well...I dig what you're saying, it's not a tough job, but the play by play is in the manual. And you really ought have one before you turn a wrench...the World Wide Web ain't a substitute. I understand that they have doubled in price but you may be able to find one at the old price if you hustle.

​​​​​​​There is one bit of 'insight' I can provide. To me, the toughest part of the job is getting the threads from the cable to the tranny cover started. If you're not careful, you'll cross thread one or the other...or both. I have acquaintance who did the 'both' part, and it got very expensive. But this is a guy without the skills for even this simple job!

The following users liked this post:
gramps49 (09-09-2017)
Old 09-09-2017, 12:03 AM
OLD 96
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,230 Likes on 901 Posts

How difficult will it be for me to install this as this will be my first time?
Kinda like the first time you had sex. Huh? You made that happen.

Old 09-09-2017, 12:47 AM
Guntoter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 81 Posts

Hardest part will be the exhaust, the rest is pretty simple. Will need a large snap ring pliers for the snap ring inside the side cover. Take a photo of the inside of the cover, before you take it apart, so you know how it goes back together again. Same thing with the cable routing. Also, lube the hell out of the cable with either cable lube (available at the dealer) or spray silicone you can get at Walmart for a few bucks. If its braided stainless cable, use the spray silicone. Most cables break due to poor maintenance and lack of lubrication.

Old 09-09-2017, 04:44 PM
gramps49
4th Gear

I thank you all for the good information. The exhaust was easy for me; no problems there. I will do as Veekness said; "watch the threads and not cross them". It is the disconnecting that worries me. Will I have to pull that cover off or when I unscrew the old cable or will I be able to tell how it connects inside? Thanks again for the valuable info I have received.

Old 09-09-2017, 06:45 PM
Dharn55
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The lever end is easy, the trans end is a bit more of a challenge. PM me and I will send you a link for a 2012 Touring manual. Not the same bike but I think the trans trap door cover is pretty much the same.

There are also lots of youtubes on this. You will lose some trans oil unless you want to lay the Wide Glide on its side. I did this once on my wife's old Low Rider.

Old 09-09-2017, 06:53 PM
Dharn55
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Or if you want the Dynamic Service manual they have the on CD on eBay for about $16, or download it from here in PDF for $8.00.

https://www.repairmanualsoncd.com/ha...l-download.php

For my old 2001 RKC I have the actual paper manual, and after 16 years it is falling apart, and is dirty and greasy. For my 2012 RGU I bought it in PDF format. Just Ollie at it on the computer and print out the section I need. Never gets dirty, greasy or falls apart!

Quick Reply: Broken Clutch cable