Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket Shock Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2018, 12:06 AM
fastjoe
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Aftermarket Shock Recommendations

I have a 2018 Road King. While they bike handles great in the curves, the factory "hand adjustable" shocks are just too stiff for me. I feel every little bump in the road and frankly it's killing my back. I have tried going up and down to different spots in the preload range and find that doesn't help a whole lot. At this point I just want a nice soft ride. Any recommendations on what rear shocks to change to?

I was looking at the Progressive 444s. Anyone have them? How do they ride? Not set on the Progressives, was just looking at them. I really don't want to spend $600 to $1000 on shocks and not see any improvement. That's why I'm looking for opinions.

Old 02-25-2018, 06:13 AM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,405 Likes on 1,593 Posts

You may or may not get what you are looking for off the shelf. What is your total weight? There are quite a few aftermarket brands out there that give a much improved ride over stock for around the $500 mark. You can do a search and read until you're totally confused.

My only caution is that it sounds like you may be one of the special cases that require a much lighter spring rate than most. Most of us middle aged riders are a little heavier than average and are passengers are not underwear models so the aftermarket and Harley for that matter have the nominal spring rates set for the heavier loads. You might want to call around to see about getting some set up custom for you. I know a few of the women on here that have had to do that and are glad they did.

The following users liked this post:
iwishiwasdata (07-06-2020)
Old 02-25-2018, 06:22 AM
just plain john
Elite HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 78 Posts

Many people have had the same trouble, with threads about it going back years. Ultimately you get what you pay for. If your decision is based on a particular price point, it may or may not be an acceptable ride quality, but if it isn’t you’ll spend even more money on a second set. Google is your friend, you can find all kinds of opinions about the Progressive shocks as well as many others.

Old 02-25-2018, 07:36 AM
HM_SanDiego
Road Captain

Received 238 Likes on 174 Posts

If you have access to a local shock shop, you might inquire about re springing your existing HD shocks with a lighter set of springs.

blap (11-30-2019)
Old 02-25-2018, 07:44 AM
Timberwolf2017
Road Captain
Received 251 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by fastjoe
I have a 2018 Road King. While they bike handles great in the curves, the factory "hand adjustable" shocks are just too stiff for me. I feel every little bump in the road and frankly it's killing my back. I have tried going up and down to different spots in the preload range and find that doesn't help a whole lot. At this point I just want a nice soft ride. Any recommendations on what rear shocks to change to?

I was looking at the Progressive 444s. Anyone have them? How do they ride? Not set on the Progressives, was just looking at them. I really don't want to spend $600 to $1000 on shocks and not see any improvement. That's why I'm looking for opinions.

I have a 2018 FLHTKL and am in the same position as you. I have been looking for months at different brands: Ohlins, Progressive, ETC and it is hard to make a decision. For my bike, it has short shocks( I think 11") so I may try 13" HD premium shocks if I can find some take offs. Longer shocks = more travel in the suspension and softer ride. The re-bound, sag setting, and spring size are critical for your weight. If you are riding 2 up, she will feel the rear shocks more than you because you are balanced between front and rear, she sits directly over the rear shocks.

Old 02-25-2018, 08:47 AM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,950 Likes on 2,169 Posts

The Bitubo shocks have been getting good reviews. Here's a good read:

http://www.dkcustomproducts.com/over...-shocks-13.htm

DK Custom - ST (02-28-2018)
Old 02-25-2018, 08:50 AM
Kay9Cop
Advanced
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Timberwolf2017
I have a 2018 FLHTKL and am in the same position as you. I have been looking for months at different brands: Ohlins, Progressive, ETC and it is hard to make a decision. For my bike, it has short shocks( I think 11") so I may try 13" HD premium shocks if I can find some take offs. Longer shocks = more travel in the suspension and softer ride. The re-bound, sag setting, and spring size are critical for your weight. If you are riding 2 up, she will feel the rear shocks more than you because you are balanced between front and rear, she sits directly over the rear shocks.

Longer shocks don't necessarily equate to a softer ride. Longer shocks give you the travel to absorb bigger bumps, but spring rate is ultimately what will give you a soft ride. If you put stiff springs on a long shock it's still going to be a rough ride for a lighter weight person.

Some things for the OP to consider...It may take a bit for the springs to break in, so to speak. If you don't have a thousand miles or so you may want to wait on swapping them out. If you are outside of the normal weight range (light or heavy) having shocks with springs selected for your final riding weight would be a good choice. Howard at Motor Cycle Metal can hook you up with custom built shocks based on Ohlins.

Old 02-25-2018, 10:30 AM
nobodyknowsme
Banned

Received 14,658 Likes on 6,424 Posts

My 17 RGS took a while to dial in as I weigh in at 180. I backed the adjustment down all the way, rode it for a while and found going up just a couple clicks is where the sweet spot is for me.

I did however finally put a set of Progressive 430's on my Road King and the improvement was drastic. But we are talking totally different animals.

Old 02-25-2018, 11:02 AM
jai yen yen
Tourer
Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

I thought the new bikes had great suspension over the last generation, I guess not. Anyway good shocks start about $500 and go up from there. I think Ohlins may be the best but are a bit more money. Super shox, Bitubos and Pro action have good reviews and are also built to your soecifications. I will probably be going with one of those three myself.

The following 2 users liked this post by jai yen yen:
cash64 (02-25-2018), DK Custom - ST (02-28-2018)
Old 02-25-2018, 12:59 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,964 Likes on 1,715 Posts

Originally Posted by GalvTexGuy
The Bitubo shocks have been getting good reviews. Here's a good read:

http://www.dkcustomproducts.com/over...-shocks-13.htm
These are what I went with. Was contemplating between these and Supershox

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Shock Recommendations