Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stero problems to code u1016

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2018, 07:26 PM
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Stero problems to code u1016

Last weekend I took a ride on my 09 flhx. The fm radio was cutting in and out and driving me nuts do I turned the stereo off. I noticed some crackling would still come out of the speakers (even with the stereo off) when I applied the front brake. Today I go out to wipe the bike down (forgetting about the steroid issue from last week). I have no sterio volume now whatsoever on any mode (cd,am,fm,aux). The sterio appears to be working on the dash, just no sound. The crackling sound is even gone now too.

The bike is throwing code u1016 loss if ECM serial data. Could these be related. What would cause the bike to throw this code?

Old 03-03-2018, 12:02 PM
big- mike
Road Warrior
Received 221 Likes on 139 Posts

Ask the gurus in the audio heat bunch of guys very helpy

Old 03-04-2018, 07:13 AM
Dguy
Road Captain
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

U1016 Loss of ICM/ECM Serial Data Instruments
U1016 Loss of ECM Serial Data, Vehicle Speed, Vehicle Inhibit Motion or Powertrain Security Status TSM/TSSM

Do you have a tuner on the bike? Power Commander etc?

Old 03-04-2018, 10:38 AM
Tourer

Originally Posted by Dguy
U1016 Loss of ICM/ECM Serial Data Instruments
U1016 Loss of ECM Serial Data, Vehicle Speed, Vehicle Inhibit Motion or Powertrain Security Status TSM/TSSM

Do you have a tuner on the bike? Power Commander etc?
Yes. Power Vision

Old 03-04-2018, 11:03 AM
Dguy
Road Captain
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

so not one that stays connected to the bike? I know some older Power Commanders caused some issues that cleared up when you removed it but that wouldn't be the case with a Power Vision

Old 03-10-2018, 11:14 AM
Tourer

Originally Posted by Dguy
so not one that stays connected to the bike? I know some older Power Commanders caused some issues that cleared up when you removed it but that wouldn't be the case with a Power Vision
No it flashes the ECM. I do have a 32t compensator installed on the bike. I've adjusted the gear ratios in the fuel map for the change. Maybe this is throwing off the code because I've manipulated the tach readings??? Code says it's the tach, and the tach is working fine.

Thanks

Old 03-10-2018, 12:49 PM
IKnowNot
Road Master
Received 121 Likes on 102 Posts

Sounds like two different things to me.
I would clear the code and see if it comes back (that code can be thrown by a lot of things, including a weak Fob battery)

As for the radio, there is a sticky on top here in the touring section that will walk you through the HK diagnostic procedures.

If someone changed your bars did they put in new Handlebar clamp screws? (part # 12600003)
(HD Service Bulletin M1289)

Also you might check to see if you have sound through your headset. If so, it could be vibration damage: bottom of radio hitting those handlebar screws. That causes damage to the amp chips in the radio.

I would advise to give Iron Cross a call.

Good luck.

Old 03-17-2018, 10:51 PM
Tourer

Originally Posted by IKnowNot
I would clear the code and see if it comes back (that code can be thrown by a lot of things, including a weak Fob battery)

As for the radio, there is a sticky on top here in the touring section that will walk you through the HK diagnostic procedures.

If someone changed your bars did they put in new Handlebar clamp screws? (part # 12600003)

Also you might check to see if you have sound through your headset. If so, it could be vibration damage: bottom of radio hitting those handlebar screws. That causes damage to the amp chips in the radio.

Good luck.
my bars were done at HD. I don't know if they changed the screws or not. The bars were installed about a year ago...

Old 03-17-2018, 10:58 PM
Tourer

Originally Posted by IKnowNot

Good luck.
i don't have a headset. Can I attach one somehow to see if this may be the problem?

Old 03-18-2018, 12:15 AM
IKnowNot
Road Master
Received 121 Likes on 102 Posts

Short answer, no. (long answer below.)
Borrow a set if you can.

Did you clear the u1016 code with either the bike or the PV?
Did it come back?
Did you run the HK radio diagnostics as suggested?

Long answer:
Your radio symptoms could be cause by by a few things, including a bad speaker switch.
The most common however is breaking of the connections of the amplifier chips inside the radio.
When the headset is plugged in it does not utilize the amp chips (they are bypassed by the system.)
So if you can hear sound in the headset but it cuts out or can not be heard through the speakers, it may be the amp chips.
Another way to test it that sometimes works is with the bike stationary and the radio on, tap on the bars and see if there is any change. If it cuts in or out, probably the amp chip.

If you look inside the HK radio, this is one of the few areas that they were remiss on. The circuit board will flex in the area that the amp chips are secured to the board, but the chips themselves are securely mounted (using screws) to the radio case. As the board flexes, the soldier joints weaken. Pounding against the handlebar clamp screws has been acknowledged by HD to facilitate this effect.

The company mentioned, Iron Cross Audio (and a sponsor of the Forums,) claims to not only repair the damage caused by the flexing of the circuit board, but offers a fix to help prevent it.

I have not used Iron Cross. But I can confirm there is a problem with the circuit board flexing in the area of the chip. And I can confirm the bolts on the handlebar clamp and/or bolts can and will cause unnecessary and damaging vibrations, and improperly installed radios can also accelerate damage.

The ball is now in your court.
Check the radio codes.
Check to see if the dealer installed the proper bolts per the service bulletin.
If they did not, and/or you have damage on the bottom side of the radio where it hit the handlebar clamp, then you may be able to go after the dealer who installed the bars. But that is a long shot.

Again, Call Iron Cross.

Quick Reply: Stero problems to code u1016