Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trouble getting in Neautral

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2018, 08:39 PM
arinavy1
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Trouble getting in Neautral

Hello everyone,
I have recently bought myself an amazing like new 2016 Street Glide special with 7500 miles on it. I have owned a street bob in the past and everything else I owned was sports bikes. My question is are street glides known to have issues getting In to neutral? Every time I try to go into to neutral the transmission seems to skip right over neutral and go right in to 1st or second gear. Thanks in advance

Old 05-16-2018, 08:46 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,192 Likes on 2,457 Posts

its the nature of the beast. it will get easier as the tranny gets more mileage on it, but i still do the 1-2 dance sometimes trying to go into neutral. i have found that the easiest way to get it into neutral is if you don't try when you are sitting still. if you are still rolling a little bit, even if it's less than walking speed, it'll slip right into 'n'. some people say it's easier if you're going from 2 down, but i have found no difference. 1 up or 2 down, if i'm moving a little, slides right in.

Old 05-16-2018, 08:48 PM
TXPHNDL
Cruiser
Received 100 Likes on 56 Posts

I had trouble with my 14 FLHTK until I hit 10-12K miles and then it started going in without any problems. You may just give it some more miles.

Old 05-16-2018, 08:48 PM
OlAndrew
Road Captain
Received 231 Likes on 143 Posts

Trouble finding neutral usually means you need a clutch adjustment. THe clutch is dragging just a bit.. I've gotten along for awhile with putting the bike in furst, resting the weight of my heel on the heel shifter, not quiteenough to move it, and giving a little rev on the throttle. Should drop right in.

Old 05-16-2018, 08:52 PM
Davidson Harley
Tourer
Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

Its a matter of a bit more wear in and a bit more time doing the toe or heal tap. In time you find Bliss without even thinking about it. My new M8 is hard to get into Nutral if your not moving, that can take roking that heavy bastard back and forth a bit with the trained toe tap. It gets easier.

Welcome to Harley's LOL

Last edited by Davidson Harley; 05-16-2018 at 08:53 PM.
Old 05-16-2018, 08:55 PM
blackxpress
Road Master
Received 492 Likes on 241 Posts

Street Glides are no different than any other Harley model. They’re all touchy about finding neutral. The key is making sure the primary fluid is at the optimum level and the clutch is in good adjustment. And some riders say it makes a difference which kind of trans oil you’re running. I’m not so sure about that. Personally I think the biggest factor is the primary fluid level. Too much fluid makes it harder to find neutral but even if everything is perfect there’s a learning curve compared to the sport bikes you’re used to riding.

Old 05-16-2018, 09:03 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,273 Likes on 11,143 Posts

They all do that!

Old 05-16-2018, 09:17 PM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,524 Likes on 1,421 Posts

Learn and get a feel for it.
With the bike up on a jack or dolly, work the shifter with your hand. It will be smooth. Lots of people, especially with heel / toe shifters, just stomp the shifter. Get the feel for it and ride. When you get the feel for it, it will do what you want it to do. For example, I downshift from second to neutral as I coast up to the fuel pumps all the time, for some they say it cannot be done. Ha!

Old 05-16-2018, 10:41 PM
Cygnusx51
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,647 Likes on 1,076 Posts

Originally Posted by OlAndrew
Trouble finding neutral usually means you need a clutch adjustment.
Hydo clutches have no adjustment. However, OP, if you haven’t flushed your clutch fluid yet, do it or get it done. Flushing mine made my clutch feel a whole lot smoother.

Old 05-16-2018, 11:26 PM
run1fsr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 44 Posts

Should slip in to N from second with little difficulty from a downshift. If stopped / sitting still from 1st try increasing the revs by 100 RPM

Quick Reply: Trouble getting in Neautral