Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 Road King Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2018, 06:33 PM
Brian6325
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2003 Road King Question

Hi,

i hevent been ln here in awhile as I had to sell my super glide a few years ago when I lost my job. Anyway I started looking for another bike the past month or so. Today I stopped by my local dealer and they had a 2003 Road King 100th anniversary edition that is in my price range. The bike is in excellent shape and has an aftermarket Bluetooth radio on it. It does have 50000 miles on it though. The miles don’t really worry me as I know a few people that have over a 100000 on Electra Glides of the same era. Is there anything I should look out for in particular? I put a deposit on the bike but haven’t signed anything yet.

Old 05-18-2018, 06:43 PM
DaleMc0622
Tourer
Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

Do you know what mods have been done?, I am sure someone will chime in with the usual cam chain tenisioner warning which I would at least ask the dealer if they have at least been inspected. You dealing with Austintown Harley?

Old 05-18-2018, 06:57 PM
Brian6325
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

No I am dealing with Warren Harley. I almost bought a sportster a few weeks ago but decided against it after I rode it. I’m 6 2 and I just wasn’t comfortable on the bike. Plus having a dyna before that didn’t help. I bought my super glide from Austintown and some things really rubbed me the wrong way after the sale. The only mods are the radio, a cobra exhaust, and the former owner had the bike repainted into a silver and green two tone paint job while keeping the anniversary striping. It’s is extremely well done and looks great. I forgot about the chain tensionor, I will ask the dealer about that. The bike was cold when it started up and there was no smoke out of the exhaust an the motor wasn’t making any unusual noises. I didn’t have time to take it for a ride today but I will before I sign the papers.

Old 05-18-2018, 07:15 PM
HM_SanDiego
Road Captain

Received 238 Likes on 174 Posts

The cam chain tensioners should have been replaced, at least once by now, ask about that....if hey haven’t been replaced, or better yet, updated and upgraded, that is something to seriously address.

Assuming the above, and all other maintenance is up to date, you really should be ok. It all depends on what has been done to the bike, how it has been maintained, and what you get with it.

Like anything else, when buying used, buyer diligence is first and foremost important.

Old 05-18-2018, 07:35 PM
duglaura&flhti
Road Warrior

Received 99 Likes on 94 Posts

Congrats first off....Yes, the cam tensioners needs to be confirmed to either replaced or upgraded to SE hydraulic tensioners with the billet cam plate and SE heavy duty oil pump....A kit Harley sales for this upgrade....I did this in junction with my 95build...Other than that, prevented maintenance should have been done......Good luck and post pixs....Good to hear some of older bike still alive.

Old 05-18-2018, 07:35 PM
Kingglide549
Banned
Received 969 Likes on 694 Posts

In 2003 they got rid of the Timkins.
Like said- That's a lot of miles on w twinkie if nothing has been addressed.
If the dealer thinks its such a great deal will he carry any warranty?
If not move on.
There is a lot of HD for sale under 5K right now..

Old 05-18-2018, 07:39 PM
kel03
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,044 Likes on 4,356 Posts

Congrats, will they give you previous owners name and number to call. If they're not hiding anything, they should, I've done that.

Old 05-18-2018, 08:31 PM
DaleMc0622
Tourer
Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

Warren Harley has always seemed like a stand up dealership, I visit there three times a year, my parents live 5 minutes from the dealer. I think if they know the history they will be upfront about it. As we have all stated, if the tensioners haven't been addressed that is a must or I would walk away and keep looking or do the upgrade if the price were adjusted right. Good luck

Old 05-19-2018, 06:22 AM
Jemezcrusher
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian6325
Hi,

i hevent been ln here in awhile as I had to sell my super glide a few years ago when I lost my job. Anyway I started looking for another bike the past month or so. Today I stopped by my local dealer and they had a 2003 Road King 100th anniversary edition that is in my price range. The bike is in excellent shape and has an aftermarket Bluetooth radio on it. It does have 50000 miles on it though. The miles don’t really worry me as I know a few people that have over a 100000 on Electra Glides of the same era. Is there anything I should look out for in particular? I put a deposit on the bike but haven’t signed anything yet.
You don’t say how much they are asking, but a buddy of mine just bought a 04 RK Custom with 9K miles on it for 7k. If you keep looking you could find a lower mile bike

Old 05-19-2018, 07:07 AM
cajun1957a
Road Warrior
Received 139 Likes on 83 Posts

I have a 2003 Road King Classic. It had 31,000 Km (20,000 miles) on it and the tensioners were less than 1/4 worn when I decided to change them out. I went to stock tensioners. The reason;, for the cost difference of stock vrs hydraulic tensioners or changing to gear cams, I was able to install S&S 510 chain cams, cam bearings, adjustable pushrods and labour. My runout almost "0". The bike was owned new by a fella that was in his 70's and had several bikes. He took care of them and I could see it was never abused. Find out the history on this King and make your decision. They are a beautiful bike and fun to drive. You can still feel the road under you and they are very nimble for a ride that weigh almost 800 lbs.

Randy

Quick Reply: 2003 Road King Question