Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road Tech Radio

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2005, 01:43 PM
Cool Breeze
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Road Tech Radio

I will be purchasing a Road King this spring/summer and was thinking about the Road Tech radio that mounts to the bars. Anyone have one or any thoughts about this unit. They had one on display at the local dealer, sounded pretty good, but it still looks like a damn boom box.

Old 10-20-2005, 05:54 PM
lil_gmac2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Road Tech Radio

A buddy of mine has it on his RK but had to get the windshield because he could hear it to well at 50+

Old 11-14-2005, 11:09 PM
dapster
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Has anyone ever installed one of these themselves? I have a 2005 RK Classic and the local dealer wants 6 hours labor on top of the considerable price for the unit. Looking at the instructions it doesn't seem that difficult.

Thanks

Old 11-15-2005, 12:38 AM
ROADKING05
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

MY WIFE WANTED ONE PUT ON HER HERITAGE, I GOT HER ONE FROM A HARLEY DEALER IN WIS 20% OFF NO SALES TAX WHICH WAS NOT BAD, I PUT IT ON, NO TROUBLE, JUST LOOSEN TANK AND RAISE IT UP ENOUGHT TO PULL WIRING THRU,DONT FOR GET TO PULL ANT WIRE THRU WITH WIRING HARNESS,DIRECTIONS ARE VERY EASY TO FOLLOW. BE SURE TO ORDER THE RADIO TO FIT YOUR BIKE, DIFFERENT HAREWARE FOR DIFFERENT BIKES. I LIKED IT SO WELL I PUT ONE ON MY ROADKING CUSTOM 05, WE HAVE REALLY ENJOYED THEM

Old 11-15-2005, 02:37 PM
dapster
Cruiser

Thanks for the reply, I thought the 6 hour charge by the local dealership seemed high. According the part number, the kit I received is for 03 and newer Road Kings so hopefully it should fit my bike.

Thanks again

Old 11-15-2005, 06:57 PM
dapster
Cruiser

Would anyone know what the toggle switch on the wiring harness that came with the radio is for? I can find no mention of it in the instructions.

Thanks

Old 11-18-2005, 01:49 PM
dapster
Cruiser

For what it is worth, I did the install myself and even at a leisurely pace it took approximately 4 hours. Since it appeared the deustch connector under the seat was going to take either an adapter or some wire splicing, I connected the accessory wire to the left toggle switch and it works great. Now to hook up an MP3 player!

Old 11-18-2005, 04:50 PM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

I don't care for the Road Tech, because as someone mentioned, it looks like a boom box. Our plan for my wife's Heritage is a quick detachable fairing with the stereo built in, from someone like Dragonfly. She will be able to use the radio and fairing, with it's added protection, when we are on the road, and then take it off for local things were the radio is not to important.

The fairing would be a bit pricier, about 1,600.00, but that is the way I would go if I were to put a radio on a Roadking.

Regards,

bill

Old 11-20-2005, 10:40 AM
TimC
Tourer

I use an MP3 Player/Radio and noise cancelling headphones. Picked up a boosteroo booster amplifier. Works great, I use the noise cancelling head phones with a 1/2 helmet and ear buds with a 3/4 or full helmet. I have had handle bar systems in the past and there is no comparison to the headphones which are much clearer and enjoyable.

Old 11-20-2005, 10:14 PM
dapster
Cruiser

I guess the boom box impression is a matter of opinion. I have already several compliments on the unit and it is leather covered which adds a little something to it as well. I have seen several after market setups that are truly boxes with radios and speakers. Good luck with fairing.

Quick Reply: Road Tech Radio