Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tool kit?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2018, 07:55 PM
teal379
Tourer
Received 171 Likes on 92 Posts
Default Tool kit?

All, traded in my Fat Bob for a new Road King. Now that I have bags, a small tool kit and first aid kit are mandatory.

Zip ties, electrical tape, screw drivers, flashlight and what for wrenches? Was originally thinking crescents to be safe but those rarely fit where needed. Couple, three box end wrenches but what size?

Old 07-29-2018, 07:58 PM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,950 Likes on 2,169 Posts
Old 07-29-2018, 08:02 PM
Hoginedgewood
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,190 Likes on 652 Posts

If you needed one they would have included it.
My o6 flhtci needed it.

Old 07-29-2018, 08:33 PM
soulpatch
Tourer
Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Buy a roll bag from amazon or home depot. a screwdriver with interchangeable bits, basic wrenches, zip ties a ratchet and some sockets, set of allen wrenches and a set of torque wrenches. You could even pickup a CO2 charging system and a plug kit to throw in it. Have a pretty extensive set for almost nothing because I put it together myself. I've found myself stranded a couple times through the years either my bike or a friends and having a good tool set could make all the difference of making it home for real repairs or waiting for a tow. Where I'm at now (alabama) 80% of the time I don't have a phone signal because of the mountains. So I leave nothing to chance.

Old 07-29-2018, 09:58 PM
ajnigli
Tourer
Received 102 Likes on 53 Posts

Pack the wrenches/torx bits/screw bits that fit the nuts, bolts, screws of your bike. Also, when doing maintenance on your bike, use the tools that you plan to carry so you know that if you ever need to perform that fix on the road, you have the correct tools. We all have tools upon tools in our garages but you won't have your garage with you on the road. Like many I put together a tool kit from my existing tools.

Old 07-30-2018, 11:51 AM
freeman73
Tourer
Received 78 Likes on 49 Posts

Agree with ajnigli. If I use something in my garage, I try to incorporate it. I ended up buying a folding hex key set that seems to fit any on the bike. ( https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-8-Ke...-Set/999954582 ) My kids bought me a bicycle multi-tool that actually works very well. It has a couple screwdrivers, allen wrenches, socket types. I also added a socket wrench for my seat as it's not stock.

Old 07-30-2018, 12:30 PM
oldhippie
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 114 Likes on 67 Posts

A inexpensive Volt/Ohm Meter is very helpful. Fuses/fuses/fuses. I found an old CD case my daughter use to use and turned it into my tool kit, I also include a set of small jumper cables.

Old 07-30-2018, 06:27 PM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,405 Likes on 1,593 Posts

There are a really just a few sizes you use like socket wise you have 3/8-7/16-1/2-9/16-5/8" gets you most of what you would use. The socket and torx and allen bits have a core range as well. A ratchet, as mentioned a mutifunction screwdriver, some wire, ziptie's and duct tape, a multi-funtion tool with an LED flashlight so you can read your credit card out for a tow and you should be set.....

Old 07-30-2018, 06:37 PM
penmaker
Road Master
Received 441 Likes on 220 Posts

10mm end wrench

Old 07-30-2018, 06:38 PM
oldsoldier181
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 12,651 Likes on 4,354 Posts

Originally Posted by todd-67
There are a really just a few sizes you use like socket wise you have 3/8-7/16-1/2-9/16-5/8" gets you most of what you would use. The socket and torx and allen bits have a core range as well. A ratchet, as mentioned a mutifunction screwdriver, some wire, ziptie's and duct tape, a multi-funtion tool with an LED flashlight so you can read your credit card out for a tow and you should be set.....
Those are all the sizes you need. A pair of pliers, a small vice grip, a multi head screwdriver that has torx bits, zip ties, some wire, and some electrical tape. I also have a shop rag and a small magnetic flashlight in mine. Thats it.
A first aid kit is a great idea too. I have a ton of compressed gauze, two tourniquets, and some quick clot gauze. Thats all for my medical kit.
If you're working on the side of the road, you're likely putting on something that fell off, or trying to figure out why it stalled. The basic premise is a likely temporary fix, until you get it home to fix it right.
If you're using a first aid kit, its not for band aids. The concept is to stop further problems from occurring.

I also advocate carrying a leatherman. Hell, if you do, you can eliminate the pliers if you like

The following users liked this post:
86glider (07-31-2018)

Quick Reply: Tool kit?