Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2016 road glide rough idle

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2018, 02:48 AM
Yass
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nytryder
Check your battery and connecting wires. A weak battery or loose cables can cause these issues.
Originally Posted by DanHappy
Did you do it ont he bike? How did you close up the hole? Did you weld it? If so, you may have screwed up the ECM.

Just asking of course and hope I am wrong.
i took off the exhaust and welded(not on bike)

Old 08-25-2018, 02:51 AM
Yass
Novice

Originally Posted by GalvTexGuy
Did you remove the header? If so, did you remove the O2 sensors?
i removed the headers from bike ,made a rectangular cut,decat,then weld it,install headers on bike, didnt touch the o2 sensors, if its a bad o2 sensor then ill have an ecm code ,right? no ecm codes yet.

Old 08-25-2018, 03:24 AM
Yass
Novice

took off seat and checked batt terminals and o2 plugs under right side panel near abs .all tight took off ignition coil and check coil plug .its tight

Old 08-25-2018, 08:37 AM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,954 Likes on 2,173 Posts

Originally Posted by Yass
i removed the headers from bike ,made a rectangular cut,decat,then weld it,install headers on bike, didnt touch the o2 sensors, if its a bad o2 sensor then ill have an ecm code ,right? no ecm codes yet.
I don't remember if it throws a code or not. All I know is I once installed the O2 sensors backwards and my bike ran terribly when I went for a test ride. I knew right away what I had done.

The following users liked this post:
Yass (08-27-2018)
Old 08-25-2018, 10:16 AM
vspkent
Advanced
Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

You might want to see if one of the cylinders is missing at idle. Easy to do by pulling the plug wire while it is at idle. Pull both wires off and reinstall loose. Next get a jumper wire with large clips on both ends. This will be connected to the outside of the plug wire near the boot, other end connected to ground. This will collect the spark if it gets out the boot as you pull the wire off while the motor is running, otherwise it will knock you dick in the dirt as you would be the easy ground. So fire it up and remove the wires one at a time , Notice which cylinder dies more than the other .If they both die about the same you may have a fuel or vacuum issue.

For fuel or vacuum issues pull the air cleaner so you can get to the throttle body. With a piece of cardboard about the size of the t-body start at the edge and slowly move the cardboard to cover the t-body opening. You are going to listen for the engine to speed up or smooth out as you slowly close of the t-body opening. Smoother running would indicate a vacuum leak.

Now we gona check for a fuel problem. With a can of 2+2 carb cleaner give a very light misting into the t-body . If one of the injectors is not providing enough fuel for smooth running the slight mist of carb cleaner will smooth it out. You can also use the carb cleaner to snoop around for a vacuum leak by misting between the cylinder where the intake manifold is.

You also need to do a compression check .

Kent

The following users liked this post:
Yass (08-27-2018)
Old 08-27-2018, 09:08 AM
Yass
Novice

Originally Posted by vspkent
You might want to see if one of the cylinders is missing at idle. Easy to do by pulling the plug wire while it is at idle. Pull both wires off and reinstall loose. Next get a jumper wire with large clips on both ends. This will be connected to the outside of the plug wire near the boot, other end connected to ground. This will collect the spark if it gets out the boot as you pull the wire off while the motor is running, otherwise it will knock you dick in the dirt as you would be the easy ground. So fire it up and remove the wires one at a time , Notice which cylinder dies more than the other .If they both die about the same you may have a fuel or vacuum issue.

For fuel or vacuum issues pull the air cleaner so you can get to the throttle body. With a piece of cardboard about the size of the t-body start at the edge and slowly move the cardboard to cover the t-body opening. You are going to listen for the engine to speed up or smooth out as you slowly close of the t-body opening. Smoother running would indicate a vacuum leak.

Now we gona check for a fuel problem. With a can of 2+2 carb cleaner give a very light misting into the t-body . If one of the injectors is not providing enough fuel for smooth running the slight mist of carb cleaner will smooth it out. You can also use the carb cleaner to snoop around for a vacuum leak by misting between the cylinder where the intake manifold is.

You also need to do a compression check .

Kent
hi again i just checked the ignition from coil by puting a jumper wire with a clamp and noticed that both cylidres dies almost the same.
as for the vaccum leak i put a piece of cardboard on the TB ,the engine dies immediatly.
now engine off ,open the flap with a small screwdriver and spary some carb cleaner keep the screwdriver under flap start the engine ,bike went into limp mode with p0131,p0154,p2101.
codes cleared and tried to spray some carb cleaner into the TB without screwdriver ,engine started shaking like crazy with backfire.

Old 05-03-2019, 12:23 AM
RNic275
Advanced
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Stop playing with your bike and take it to a Certified Harley Technician. You’re welcome !!!

Old 05-03-2019, 06:42 AM
DanHappy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,419 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Originally Posted by RNic275
Stop playing with your bike and take it to a Certified Harley Technician. You’re welcome !!!
Dude. By now I hope he has it figured out! Been a while... Check the last date.