Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why Harley?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2018, 07:58 AM
cfave
Road Captain
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Why Harley?

I currently have a 2011 FLHTK and I love the bike. But, this past holiday weekend we took a trip from Pa to NC for a wedding and had some time to kill once down in the area and took some other bikes out for test rides. Now I took 3 bikes out each for about 45 minutes a piece. That isnt a lot of time considering I spent 7.5 hours in the saddle getting down there but, it gave me a good idea of what the bikes were like. I took out the new Yamaha Star Venture, Honda Goldwing DCT and the BMW K1600 Grand America tourer. Now I know all of these are NOT V-TWIN like a Harley and the first thing that was hard to get over was NO SOUND, but what I could not get passed was the overall ride of the 3 bikes.

First let me state, I am 49 yrs old and dislocated my hip and shoulder while jumping with the Army Airborne Infantry. So many years later I am paying for it. Because of my issue, my hip starts to hurt at about hour 4 and is unbearable by hour 10 and I lose strength in that leg as time goes by. I also rebuilt my 103 a year ago because the cylinders went out of round! 43K on the bike! I also needed a new drive belt because I was at the end of my adjustments. I also rebuilt the brake calipers and put Ohlins shocks on front and back. This and a few other things came to 7k worth of work, 4k of that was just to keep it up and running.

With that out of the way, I took the bikes out and found they offered those things that I wish my HD had. To me, they are common sense things. Now before anyone goes off on me, I RIDE the Hell out of my Harley and not to the local bar and back, We did Maine in the spring, NC just last week and are heading out on a trip in October that will be hours of ridding at a time. (destination not chosen yet). Each bike had a low center of gravity and was easy to get off the side stand. Both the Honda and BMW also had center stands. The Yamaha, by far, the lowest to the ground and easiest to stand up. Adjustable windshields, not a big issue but, very noticeable. Power. in the case of the BMW, lots of power. Biggest of all, reverse. The Honda I rode was the DCT which is their automatic trans, with a switch of a lever and a press of a button, i was able to back up with my GF on the back with out any issue.
Overall the options on these bikes and the features they offer, I was impressed. Each had their low points but over all, they made me stop and wonder Why Harley?
I realize I am getting older and long distance riding becomes a bit harder when you can feel every bump in the road, but I will never stop. I will hold off for as long as I can (hopefully NEVER) to get a trike. But even so, only then would I get reverse.
I know to most this stuff seems trivial but, to someone that loves to ride, is getting older, and loves his Harley, I ask when is HD going to listen to us?

I guess I dont really know what I am asking or even writing this about but, I just needed to vent a bit and wanted to know if others felt somewhat frustrated, as I am, with Harley when it comes to developing new bikes or features. (features other makers have had on their bikes for decades)

The following 3 users liked this post by cfave:
IdahoHacker (09-06-2018), Old Iron Man (09-08-2018), XRX (09-06-2018)
Old 09-05-2018, 08:04 AM
Veekness
Elite HDF Member
Received 638 Likes on 494 Posts

If you're not happy with what you got and want something else, you just need to scratch that itch. The sun does not rise and set on Harley Davidson!

The following 8 users liked this post by Veekness:
bpav16 (08-25-2020), DanDeleted (09-07-2018), jeeper101 (09-06-2018), rhuff (09-05-2018), Silent Glider (08-25-2020), slodsm (09-05-2018), VAFish (08-25-2020), XRX (09-06-2018) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-05-2018, 08:06 AM
Fullbore55
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,632 Likes on 1,226 Posts

One of these others might work better for you as your next bike. When the time comes, check them again along with the newer HDs and decide accordingly.

Old 09-05-2018, 08:07 AM
madmustang4
Tourer
Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

I am not a wrench turner so I picked Harley because they have a vast dealer and indie network to fix bikes. (of course I love Harley more than others).

BMW dealer told me that some Harley guys have a hard time transitioning to BMW because of foot location. On Harley foot is straight down (or ahead). On BMW foot is back. For some guys the foot being back doesn't work.

Old 09-05-2018, 08:10 AM
blackxpress
Road Master
Received 492 Likes on 241 Posts

This has been kicked around many times before but the short answer is, HD gives its customers what they want (for the most part). They're like any other large company. As long as their customers keep buying their product they will keep producing it. If there were large numbers of Harley buyers clamoring for 6 cylinder liquid cooled motors, automatic transmissions, reverse, etc., etc., you can bet your bottom dollar the Moco would gladly oblige them. As it is, the typical Harley buyer doesn't want those things. They day HD discovers they're losing market share to the Goldwing, Yamaha Venture, BMW K1600 or whatever, is the day they start redesigning their bikes to compete with those bikes. No company stays in business producing products their customers don't want. Exhibit A: The Vrod.

The following users liked this post:
07RKRider (09-09-2018)
Old 09-05-2018, 08:12 AM
cfave
Road Captain

Originally Posted by madmustang4
I am not a wrench turner so I picked Harley because they have a vast dealer and indie network to fix bikes. (of course I love Harley more than others).

BMW dealer told me that some Harley guys have a hard time transitioning to BMW because of foot location. On Harley foot is straight down (or ahead). On BMW foot is back. For some guys the foot being back doesn't work.
With the BMW I would agree, it was under me quite a bit. But I too love my HD and have been looking to get a new RGU but after riding the other bikes, I think I need to really consider what is important. Im not just an owner, Im a rider and I ride the hell out of my bikes, so I need to take a serious look at the type of riding I do and find the bike that fits those needs the best. I just wish Harley would listen a bit more. If anything, reverse was the nicest feature the other bikes offered. (considering my leg issues)

Old 09-05-2018, 08:13 AM
ronaldrwl
Road Warrior
Received 342 Likes on 229 Posts

I didn't think about it much.
I just liked HD bikes and Dodge cars/trucks. It's not like there is something wrong with owning a Ford. I just like what I like without using a spreadsheet comparing features.

Old 09-05-2018, 08:14 AM
cfave
Road Captain

Originally Posted by blackxpress
This has been kicked around many times before but the short answer is, HD gives its customers what they want (for the most part). They're like any other large company. As long as their customers keep buying their product they will keep producing it. If there were large numbers of Harley buyers clamoring for 6 cylinder liquid cooled motors, automatic transmissions, reverse, etc., etc., you can bet your bottom dollar the Moco would gladly oblige them. As it is, the typical Harley buyer doesn't want those things. They day HD discovers they're losing market share to the Goldwing, Yamaha Venture, BMW K1600 or whatever, is the day they start redesigning their bikes to compete with those bikes. No company stays in business producing products their customers don't want. Exhibit A: The Vrod.
I get what your saying.

Old 09-05-2018, 08:17 AM
eaglefan1
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,135 Likes on 764 Posts

If Harley put all of those features on its bikes, people would complain that its complicated. "Cant work on them". Electrical nightmare".

I installed my 106 kit. I installed my audio system. I can do 99% of the things on my bike that need to be done. How many Jap or BMW owners actually work on their bikes or are able to? I bet the number is real low compared to Harley owners
Harleys are simple for the most part. Start tearing into one of those other bikes, good luck.
Im sure there has been issues with those other bikes as well.
I won't get into the visual appearance of the bikes.

With that said, I have never owned a foreign vehicle in my life. Never set foot on a foreign vehicle dealership. My choice.
Ride what you like to ride

The following users liked this post:
speeddaddy (08-25-2020)
Old 09-05-2018, 08:21 AM
n5tf
Tourer
Received 184 Likes on 67 Posts

I am an amputee and reverse would be a good option for me...As it is today I get by parking smartly...I do like some of the features from the three brands mentioned.

Quick Reply: Why Harley?