Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Big folks

Old 09-11-2018, 07:56 PM
5 Ton
Intermediate
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Big folks

I've read some threads on comfort items but most threads are somewhat slim body types. My wife and I are "big" individuals. I'm 6'1" 360lbs. My wife is 4'11" and I ain't going to die for asking either!!!! 2000 EG stock except for a TP relocator plate. We can ride about 30 minutes before we need to stop. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Old 09-11-2018, 08:04 PM
MURPHCC1
Club Member
Received 2,788 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Why do you have to stop?
Sore, tired, uncomfortable?
What suspensions changes have been made on the bike?

Old 09-11-2018, 10:00 PM
5 Ton
Intermediate
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

My thighs start to cramp. Her legs and rearend are uncomfortable. Bike is stock. No changes to the bike other than the tour pack was moved 1" to the rear. When I ride solo, I can ride substantially longer.

Old 09-12-2018, 02:18 AM
Jshopes
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,187 Likes on 655 Posts

Seat, the adjustable pegs for her, and highway pegs for you. Probably wouldnt hurt to do a little stretching too before a ride to loosen those muscles up.

Old 09-12-2018, 04:36 AM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team

Received 1,239 Likes on 808 Posts

Floorboards can be moved, to stretch out your legs. You can also buy extenders to move them both out and down if you wish. There are different brake levers and I think shifter levers to help further move your legs out.

Passenger pegs/boards have multiple mounting holes as well.

Possibly different handlebars to bring your upper body further for forward and stretch your arms out.

And of course a better, mostly wider, seat for both of your butts.

Old 09-12-2018, 05:36 AM
EdwardK
Road Warrior
Received 304 Likes on 226 Posts

New seat is a must in my opinion. Stock seats suck as well as most of HD's upgrade seats. Look at aftermarket. My personal preference is Mustang but there are many others and also custom seat makers that will custom make a seat for you based on your height and weight for roughly the same price..

For her, being only 4'11" and you moved the tour pack back, I be the crash bars are hitting the back of her calves. There is an option for what they call comfort bars and also an option to remove them completely. That will make a big difference for her. Also make sure her floorboards are in the highest spot.

For you, what's your riding experience? If your thighs are cramping it sound like you simply need to relax. On your next ride, think about your thighs and why they would be cramping. Are your muscles tense? Why? Find a spot where you are comfortable then let your knees loose. You shouldn't have any tension in your muscles. As previously mentioned, foot pegs to give you different places to put your feet will help. Did I mention seat? Is it hitting you in the back of the thigh and cutting off circulation?

Good luck!. I always say purchase comfort mods before performance and chrome.

The following users liked this post:
Gozzie (09-13-2018)
Old 09-12-2018, 06:13 AM
XRX
Road Captain
Received 119 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by 5 Ton
I've read some threads on comfort items but most threads are somewhat slim body types. My wife and I are "big" individuals. I'm 6'1" 360lbs. My wife is 4'11" and I ain't going to die for asking either!!!! 2000 EG stock except for a TP relocator plate. We can ride about 30 minutes before we need to stop. Any suggestions would be helpful.
Buddy, I mean this in the kindest way possible- you need to lose weight. You're at a Body Mass Index of almost 50. Your body was not designed for those kinds of loads, and neither was the motorcycle. The motorcycle's suspension system is operating WAY outside of it's intended function. Proper safety gear is going to have to be custom made for you at your current size. And in a crash, you're going to have much greater injuries.

If your bride is suffering from the same situation, as you seem to be implying, I would encourage her to do the same. I'm sure you two love each other- make it a marriage project. You can start by just walking. Cut out butter, mayonnaise, sugar, fat, and anything else that's causing you problems. Use smaller plates to help control portion sizes. Put a bathroom scale in front of the refrigerator. When your knees can take it, go have your stride analyzed and get fitted for some proper running shoes, and try jogging a little bit on a rubberized high-school track. Do something. Do anything.

The ergonomics on the Electra Glide are certainly bad, and there are certainly more comfortable ways to go, but without losing a bunch of weight, you're going to have some pretty significant problems.

Sticks24 (09-12-2018)
Old 09-12-2018, 07:48 AM
FPV
Tourer
Received 139 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by XRX
Buddy, I mean this in the kindest way possible- you need to lose weight. You're at a Body Mass Index of almost 50. Your body was not designed for those kinds of loads, and neither was the motorcycle. The motorcycle's suspension system is operating WAY outside of it's intended function. Proper safety gear is going to have to be custom made for you at your current size. And in a crash, you're going to have much greater injuries.
If your bride is suffering from the same situation, as you seem to be implying, I would encourage her to do the same. I'm sure you two love each other- make it a marriage project. You can start by just walking. Cut out butter, mayonnaise, sugar, fat, and anything else that's causing you problems. Use smaller plates to help control portion sizes. Put a bathroom scale in front of the refrigerator. When your knees can take it, go have your stride analyzed and get fitted for some proper running shoes, and try jogging a little bit on a rubberized high-school track. Do something. Do anything.
The ergonomics on the Electra Glide are certainly bad, and there are certainly more comfortable ways to go, but without losing a bunch of weight, you're going to have some pretty significant problems.
Blatantly blunt with a touch of sincerity.......

XRX (09-12-2018)
Old 09-12-2018, 08:41 AM
Veekness
Elite HDF Member
Received 638 Likes on 494 Posts

Originally Posted by FPV
Blatantly blunt with a touch of sincerity.......
...and pretty much spot on. Once a guy gets past a certain physical size, not all things are comfortable, practical, or possible. When my weight yoyo's up and down, I find that the increased possibilities available to me when I'm lighter is a strong incentive to stay lighter.

I have to agree with XRX that at 360 pounds, motorcycling is gonna be a difficult nut to crack for the OP...and as a big guy myself...but not that big...I do offer my opinion with no intent to insult.

XRX (09-12-2018)
Old 09-12-2018, 08:47 AM
Cowboy Rob
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,565 Likes on 1,497 Posts

My buddy is 6’ 8” something like 450lbs on a RG. I’ll have to tell him he can’t ride his bike and be comfortable anymore because of his size. Seems like apes, floorboard extenders, highway pegs, and a comfy seat didn’t help at all.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Big folks