Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Touring Items

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2018, 02:30 PM
M8USA
Road Master
Received 441 Likes on 233 Posts
Default Touring Items

Planning a 500 mile a day trip in three weeks to Florida. This is my list, am I missing anything. Thanks.

Old 09-25-2018, 02:39 PM
piper59
Elite HDF Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 625 Posts

Might want to think about getting some waterproof booties to go over your riding boots.Wet feet suck especially on a long trip.

The following users liked this post:
M8USA (09-25-2018)
Old 09-25-2018, 02:52 PM
rcn1963
Tourer
Received 130 Likes on 94 Posts

If space is a premium, not sure you need both the battery pack and tender.
Small pocket knife, bottle of water (bottles are often useful beyond holding water), and an adjustable wrench for stuff the allen/torx just won't do.
Also, you mention "privates" but not socks. I'm ex infantry...I never go anywhere without extra socks.

The following users liked this post:
M8USA (09-25-2018)
Old 09-25-2018, 03:55 PM
whocares
Road Warrior
Received 432 Likes on 218 Posts

I'd hate to see your list for a week.is this your first motorcycle trip?

The following 2 users liked this post by whocares:
INJEKTER (09-28-2018), Peter Griffin (09-26-2018)
Old 09-25-2018, 04:19 PM
Ben221
Road Warrior
Received 241 Likes on 156 Posts

I would recommend trip interruption coverage on your insurance. I have it from Progressive just in case.

Regular wire is always good for use in hot areas where zip ties would fail. Take some electrical and duct tape and wrap some on your tools or something to have tape if needed. I always have a little 5150 cord.

Old 09-25-2018, 04:31 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,945 Likes on 1,705 Posts

Assuming this is on your 2017 ultra? I’d shorten the list to whatever clothing and toiletries you need, cell phone, credit cards, and rain suit.

The following 2 users liked this post by dawg:
Tired (09-29-2018), Uncle Larry (09-25-2018)
Old 09-25-2018, 04:46 PM
BackRoader
Road Master
Received 105 Likes on 84 Posts

Reda gas can. Life saver!

Old 09-25-2018, 06:25 PM
EdwardK
Road Warrior
Received 304 Likes on 226 Posts

As mentioned, you shouldn't need a battery pack and you for sure wont need a tender. If you are going to ride 500 miles a day, the battery will be good and charged for weeks afterward. No need to put a tender on it each night if you are riding every day. I like the pen and paper so you can write down additions to your list for the next trip of things you wish you had brought. Dawg mentioned what should be a given and the most important to have, cell phone and credit cards. Hopefully you have a full set of rain gear and not just a jacket.

I personally pack as light as I can. The best thing I did was plug in all the Walmart's and HD dealers into my GPS. Anything I forgot or need on the road I can get there.

You don't say how long you are going to be gone but remember, clothes tend to grow on trip as they get dirty and if you plan on buying any souvenir shirts, space is a premium on the ride home. Two tips that have worked well for me, About halfway through the trip, go to a UPS store and ship the things you don't need anymore, ie dirty clothes and/or souvenirs, home. Second is before you leave, go to Walmart and buy the cheapest tshirts, socks and underwear you can find to wear on the trip. When they are dirty, toss them in the trash or even better, a goodwill box. Last tip for saving space. Put your clothes into gallon ziplock bags and then sit on them in a chair as you seal the bag. They will look like they were vacuum packed, stay fresh when you put them next to your dirty and they will stay dry in case you have a leak in your bag.

Enjoy the ride, I'll be on my week bike trip in two weeks.

The following 2 users liked this post by EdwardK:
mctraveler (09-25-2018), rfulford (09-26-2018)
Old 09-25-2018, 06:41 PM
M8USA
Road Master

Originally Posted by whocares
I'd hate to see your list for a week.is this your first motorcycle trip?
Yes, was planning an earlier trip to Myrtle Beach, but plans changed.

Old 09-25-2018, 06:48 PM
M8USA
Road Master

Originally Posted by EdwardK
As mentioned, you shouldn't need a battery pack and you for sure wont need a tender. If you are going to ride 500 miles a day, the battery will be good and charged for weeks afterward. No need to put a tender on it each night if you are riding every day. I like the pen and paper so you can write down additions to your list for the next trip of things you wish you had brought. Dawg mentioned what should be a given and the most important to have, cell phone and credit cards. Hopefully you have a full set of rain gear and not just a jacket.

I personally pack as light as I can. The best thing I did was plug in all the Walmart's and HD dealers into my GPS. Anything I forgot or need on the road I can get there.

You don't say how long you are going to be gone but remember, clothes tend to grow on trip as they get dirty and if you plan on buying any souvenir shirts, space is a premium on the ride home. Two tips that have worked well for me, About halfway through the trip, go to a UPS store and ship the things you don't need anymore, ie dirty clothes and/or souvenirs, home. Second is before you leave, go to Walmart and buy the cheapest tshirts, socks and underwear you can find to wear on the trip. When they are dirty, toss them in the trash or even better, a goodwill box. Last tip for saving space. Put your clothes into gallon ziplock bags and then sit on them in a chair as you seal the bag. They will look like they were vacuum packed, stay fresh when you put them next to your dirty and they will stay dry in case you have a leak in your bag.
o
Enjoy the ride, I'll be on my week bike trip in two weeks.
o
Thanks for the info. Actually, bringing the bike to Florida for the winter. One day drive to Myrtle Beach(500 miles), stay over for a day. Then one day trip to Kissimmee (500 miles). Stay for a day or two, then 200 miles to Delray Beach.

Quick Reply: Touring Items