Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Touring Riders and FXRG jackets

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2018, 03:03 PM
cwsharp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 151 Likes on 111 Posts
Default Touring Riders and FXRG jackets

Supposedly FXRG gear was the best HD had to offer so when I got my first new Harley I sprung for some BIG BUCKS and got the entire FXRG shebang because it came with "A LIFETIME WARRANTY". I took my jacket into the dealer when ALL THREE (liner, wind block, and outside) zippers failed. The dealer that I lived near at the time said "it doesn't have a lifetime warranty". I read the tag to them so they "did me a favor" and sent it in wherein the zippers were replaced, the exterior zipper being inferior to the original (if that's even possible) because "they don't carry those waterproof zippers anymore".

So, the exterior zipper failed again. Again I sent it in and again they claimed that "it doesn't come with a lifetime warranty".

Here is a quote from the FXRG publication from Harley Davidson:

"ABOUT OUR FXRG® LEATHER AND NYLON GARMENTS LIMITED LIFETIME WARRANTY To obtain warranty service, return the affected component(s) with proof of purchase, at your expense, within the limited warranty period to an authorized Harley-Davidson dealer. Harley-Davidson MotorClothes® FXRG® leather or nylon garments (jacket or pant), if purchased from the Harley-Davidson® Online Store or an authorized Harley-Davidson® dealer within the United States, are warranted to be free from factory defects in materials and workmanship, for the limited lifetime for the original retail buyer. If you believe your garment has a factory defect in materials or workmanship, return the garment to your authorized Harley-Davidson® dealer with original purchase receipt for inspection. At the dealer’s and Harley-Davidson’s® discretion, the garment will be repaired or replaced, at no cost to you, or a credit will be issued to you for the amount paid by the original retail buyer for the garment. Please allow approximately 2 weeks for repair, however depending upon the repair it may take 4-6 weeks."

Now, what the highlighted phrase means that the dealer and the HD's discretion they can choose to repair, replace, or provide a credit. HD seems to now assume it means that they can also choose whether to honor the warranty period.

This seems to happen with nearly everything that you buy from HD, bikes, add ons, service, motorclothes, etc. A warning to the naive... NOTHING that you get from HD is protected by a warranty unless they think you deserve it. There is NO REASON WHATSOEVER to buy new ANYTHING from HD and this is the last time that will ever become part of my decision process.

The following 2 users liked this post by cwsharp:
04ctd (11-09-2018), ChinoSlim (11-09-2018)
Old 11-06-2018, 04:00 PM
RichM752
Road Master
Received 371 Likes on 215 Posts

Shop here and you have no problems.

http://www.johnsonleather.com

Old 11-06-2018, 04:17 PM
Jshopes
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,195 Likes on 658 Posts

Johnson, langlitz, z custom, bates, and espinozas would have done you better. Oh, for off the rack dont forget vanson and fox creek.

Old 11-06-2018, 06:00 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 167 Likes on 108 Posts

I've got the original (series 1) FXRG jacket that I bought new in 2002 or 2003. Back then they came with a 5-year warranty.

A few months ago the zipper failed. I stopped by my local HD dealer to inquire about recommendations for repair. The motor clothes girl told me that she thought that it had a lifetime warranty and said she would send it in for a zipper replacement. I said , "cool". The next day she called and informed me that the jacket did in fact only have a 5-year warranty and she couldn't get it repaired under warranty. But what she was able to do is get me a free replacement zipper that I then had installed at a local shoe/leather repair place.

All-in-all, I love this jacket.

The following users liked this post:
04ctd (11-09-2018)
Old 11-06-2018, 06:18 PM
FurryOne
Road Master
Received 127 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by cwsharp
Supposedly FXRG gear was the best HD had to offer so when I got my first new Harley I sprung for some BIG BUCKS and got the entire FXRG shebang because it came with "A LIFETIME WARRANTY". I took my jacket into the dealer when ALL THREE (liner, wind block, and outside) zippers failed.
In '13 I bought the FXRG jacket from Kutter for about $550 ($695 list). It's been the best damned cool/cold weather jacket I've ever bought, but the main zipper started getting flakey a year ago, so I took it to "A little old lady named cocaine katy who..." oops, that's a song - anyway, I had a YKK #10 metal zipper installed. I've never used the gray inside zipper, and only use the liner when it goes below 40 or so outside. BTW, a little over a year ago I noticed that H-D quit listing that FXRG jacket, so I went online with the model number and saw that Barnetts had a new one on closeout for $300, so now I switch back and forth between them - one with liner, and one w/o, depending on the temps. The FXRG fits me like a glove. The new zipper cost me $50 installed. I also have all the body armor installed in both.
re: 98040-12VM

Last edited by FurryOne; 11-06-2018 at 06:23 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by FurryOne:
04ctd (11-09-2018), Goose_NC (01-23-2023)
Old 11-06-2018, 08:17 PM
Wmbailey5
Advanced
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

I have the FXRG jacket and pants for last 6 years. They are both great items. I live in the Northeast and wear the jacket from 65 down to the 30’s and in the rain and stay dry and warm. The pants I wear under 45 degrees and they must weight 10 pounds and perform great. I have never had an issue or a regret except they take up a lot of storage area when not in use.

I am not a fan of the new textile designs and snaps etc.

Old 11-06-2018, 09:12 PM
nobodyknowsme
Banned

Received 14,657 Likes on 6,424 Posts

I had it with anything HD leather wise a very long time ago. Actually ANYTHING HD other than bikes and a select few bike parts. Have had some darn nice American made leather but so far the best bang for the buck has been Fox Creek. I am fortunate in that I live reasonably close and a very nice ride to their shop. But I have friends far away and have read of boatloads of others that have nothing but good to say about the company and their products. When HD started with the FXRG stuff the prices were in line with some of the elite stuff. I thought no friggin way. I thought right.

Old 11-06-2018, 09:43 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,273 Likes on 11,143 Posts

Love my FXRG jacket that I bought 6 years ago. I wear it for every ride, regardless of temperature. It has now developed a nice patina.

Old 11-07-2018, 12:17 AM
RevBlk
Road Master
Received 86 Likes on 62 Posts

11 years with my Fox Creek jacket and chaps. Rode in rain snow etc from Cabo to Yellowknife. 2 snaps let go at the bottom of the chaps. That's it. 5 bux to fix and I'm not gentle with my gear. Had to lose a little weight this spring to get the jacket done up but that ain't there fault. Hope to get another 11 years out of them. Wish I could say the same about boots gloves vests etc.

Old 11-07-2018, 03:10 AM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 12,220 Likes on 4,770 Posts

I’ve had good luck with my FXRG jacket which I bought used about eight years ago. That said, Ive wanted a Langlitz for a long time and almost sprung for one last spring. After careful consideration, I decided against it because I’d probably be dead before it even got broke in. My FXRG should last until I’m gone. I had to replace the main zipper pull but otherwise, it’s been an excellent jacket.

Quick Reply: Touring Riders and FXRG jackets