Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

03 road king classic

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2019, 10:08 AM
Kingface
Road Master
Received 178 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by BubbaHFD

RKC 03
Owner seemed to think it may have been painted. Needed new grips, left was loose, set didnt match. States cruise tends play catch up, no experience on this end with that. Danny grey seat was nice, tour pack was nice. One thumb sized spot of clear coat on the front fender peeling, a few bolt heads here and there had a little rust, it is an 03 after all. One thing I’m learning is that pictures always look better! The one issue is that the original speedo died and was replaced with one of those tach combo units, only it started at zero. He said it was done at an independent shop, not sure why they would do that. His title from 2012 says about 8300 miles, the new speedo says a bit over 14k, he estimates the bike at 28k, no mention of that in his ad. Seemed like a nice ride, big difference from the sporty. Boy i like those floor boards. Sure is heavy though, new riding style for sure. Certainly wasn’t perfect, but nice enough for me, I’m really more concerned about getting the tensioner update resolved or checked out. Also, the DMV in CT is awful, if the mileage makes registration or title a hassle, that alone might make me pass.
Beautiful bike!! Why have you not bought it yet!!!??? ;-). I seriously wouldn't be too concerned about anything at that price, especially since you said you have seen the service records. Get the tensioners looked at and don't look back. The addition of a matching tour pack is an awesome upgrade. Plus...if you don't use that tour pack, you can get a good dollar amount for it in a sale which would pay for a chunk of a tensioner upgrade. It's a beauty of a bike. That red must definitely be playing up to the Firefighter in you!!!!!

Old 01-18-2019, 10:43 AM
BubbaHFD
Advanced
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

It does look perfect in the photos, it does not in person, still nice for an 03.Trying to work on a number of clean up item costs vs. a bike thats good to go. There was a sound from the front at driveway speed, maybe from the new brakework or a bearing or something up front, did not notice it on the road. Some nuts and bolts had a little rust, shouldn’t be to hard to do that, grips need to go. Tail pipe tips are flaking and need changing. Has one key fob, does not do anything, do I even need it? Says the cruise surges to catch up to speed, us that common? Having never owned a king before I am leary, especially with the unknown mileage factor, if I was a bike mechanic doing a build I think this would be a no brainer. So many for sale out there, wise for me to be cautious.

Old 01-18-2019, 03:03 PM
BubbaHFD
Advanced

After a talk with the local indy shop about cost of the tensioner upgrade i took a pass, gonna hope the taxman is good to me and look for one that has been done or 07 up. Anyone who is interested can check the hartford ct craigslist for the ad, thank you all for the responses.

Old 01-18-2019, 05:51 PM
Down South
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,126 Likes on 1,531 Posts

Originally Posted by BubbaHFD
Has one key fob, does not do anything, do I even need it?
If it is the same as my 02, no you don't need the fob. Mine only had one fob and the battery was dead in it. I replaced the battery and discovered it indeed worked by activating the security system. I had to get online to figure out how to disable it. Mine has a factory serine and it's loud.
It's a manual security system. You manually turn it on and off with the fob.

A 16 yr old bike is going to have some cosmetic stuff that you can live with or repair. I've got a little rust on my 02 plus a few small dings. Plus my exhaust tips are flaking too. I decided to live with it. I still think you are letting a good deal slip away. Have you tried to talk him down?

Old 01-18-2019, 06:37 PM
BubbaHFD
Advanced

Originally Posted by Down South
If it is the same as my 02, no you don't need the fob. Mine only had one fob and the battery was dead in it. I replaced the battery and discovered it indeed worked by activating the security system. I had to get online to figure out how to disable it. Mine has a factory serine and it's loud.
It's a manual security system. You manually turn it on and off with the fob.

A 16 yr old bike is going to have some cosmetic stuff that you can live with or repair. I've got a little rust on my 02 plus a few small dings. Plus my exhaust tips are flaking too. I decided to live with it. I still think you are letting a good deal slip away. Have you tried to talk him down?
I’m willing to keep looking, going to try and find a bike that has been updated or 07 or newer, just ran into a guy at my job selling his 02 classic asking 5.5k in the spring, so there out there. I have some time till spring.