Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2016 Ultra Limited Will Not Start - Please Help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2019, 07:26 AM
stume04
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Jaftica, the fob seems to work for unlocking and locking...I just recently changed out the batteries also. But I think if the bike wasn't able to read the fob, I would be getting an option to enter the PIN number...I'm not seeing that at all.

Old 03-13-2019, 07:30 AM
stume04
5th Gear

nutsandbolts, I am not the original owner. My father-in-law was the original owner. I bought it from my mother-in-law after he passed away. He had no work done to it since he bought it.

Old 03-13-2019, 08:03 AM
Vernal
Club Member
Received 7,290 Likes on 1,904 Posts

Welcome to the Forum from Utah. Did you get it started?

I'm unfamiliar with CVO's.

Looking at your CVO owners manual under starting, Turn off/run switch to run - 4 seconds later fuel pump runs for 2 sec, turn fork lock to unlock, pull clutch lever in and hold it there, shift to neutral, raise jiffy stand,(international models) and push start button.

If it's still not starting what happens at each step? Does fuel pump run, neutral light come on ....... Were the terminals tight and battery at 12.8V

If you take the fob away will the enter pin number show? Do you know the pin?

The following users liked this post:
stume04 (03-20-2019)
Old 03-13-2019, 09:21 AM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,401 Likes on 4,012 Posts

Originally Posted by stume04
Thanks for sending the link over GuineaPig. It is the CVO FLHTK. It does say in there that the OFF/RUN switch needs to be switched to RUN to get lights and instruments. And it's not even really an ignition switch it's a fork lock only apparently. There are only two positions for it to move.
My apologies, I have a '16 FLHTCU, had a '12 FLHTK and both have the same ignition switch/ OFF-RUN switch set-up. I ASSumed that the ignition switch was the same on all newer baggers.... I was unaware that the CVO FLHTK has a different ignition/OFF-RUN switch set-up....

Keep us posted on the final fix...

stume04 (03-20-2019)
Old 03-13-2019, 09:28 AM
TriDan
Cruiser
Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

I've got a CVO Limited.
Just thinking out loud:

FOB in hand, right hand grip button to RUN, if the radio comes on the FOB is good. You would get the alarm if it were not.
When you then push the start button, are you sure you have the green N light for neutral?
The lock/unlock buttons on the FOB have nothing to do with the starting, you can start it locked or unlocked (yes, I know this is well known, just making sure it's said)

My complete and utter guess is someone screwed with the left grip switches and screwed up the clutch interlock. If it has the same problems in neutral, might be neutral switch is screwy too. Shift up a couple, then back down to neutral. Sometimes my light is on but the bike doesn't think it's in neutral until I shift up then down again.

stume04 (03-20-2019)
Old 03-13-2019, 09:52 AM
dceggert
Road Master
Received 495 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by TriDan
I've got a CVO Limited.
Just thinking out loud:

FOB in hand, right hand grip button to RUN, if the radio comes on the FOB is good. You would get the alarm if it were not.
When you then push the start button, are you sure you have the green N light for neutral?
The lock/unlock buttons on the FOB have nothing to do with the starting, you can start it locked or unlocked (yes, I know this is well known, just making sure it's said)

My complete and utter guess is someone screwed with the left grip switches and screwed up the clutch interlock. If it has the same problems in neutral, might be neutral switch is screwy too. Shift up a couple, then back down to neutral. Sometimes my light is on but the bike doesn't think it's in neutral until I shift up then down again.
Or pull the clutch lever in all the way...should negate a neutral switch issue.

stume04 (03-20-2019)
Old 03-20-2019, 02:58 PM
stume04
5th Gear

TriDan/dceggert,

I don't think it has anything to do with the fob. I get the radio when I push the RUN button. I've tried pulling the clutch all the way in and having it in neutral...I've done both together. I think I'm going to have to give the dealer a call on this one...it's getting to be riding weather now.

Spanish Cobra (06-06-2019)
Old 03-20-2019, 03:14 PM
Vernal
Club Member

I read through this again quickly, nutsandbolts suggested checking your fuses, have you?

stume04 (03-20-2019)
Old 03-20-2019, 03:33 PM
stume04
5th Gear

Ahhh Vernal, thanks for reminding me...that is one thing I have not checked yet...

Old 03-20-2019, 03:49 PM
Vernal
Club Member

I don't recall if you checked for codes:

https://www.fuelmotousa.com/p-29661-...es.html#pcodes

stume04 (03-20-2019)

Quick Reply: 2016 Ultra Limited Will Not Start - Please Help!