Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel Bearing life expectancy?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2019, 10:43 AM
Wizardofaus
Road Warrior
Received 230 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by BadDogBiker
Thanks for the replies, I had no idea they wore that quickly. Will be definitely be getting it done with a quickness I have suffered long enough without being able to ride.
Yeah from what I’ve read, there a pretty cheap bearings to start with.
And as one post says there was an updated version of the bearing he had and was replaced under warranty.

As for me I’ll change them both out at the next set of tyres with good SKF units.

Wiz 🍻

Old 03-21-2019, 04:28 PM
JacktheBagger
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

my front went out at 20k just before warranty ran out , still have the original on the rear with 70+ on it ..

Old 03-21-2019, 09:16 PM
torchmaster
Road Warrior
Received 156 Likes on 99 Posts

My first SG had original bearings when I trades it at 50K. Wife's went at 16K and caused tires to cup. Replaced under warranty.

My 17 SG I replaced front and rear with tires at 23K even though they didn't need to be Used All *****.

Old 03-22-2019, 05:45 AM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team

Received 1,249 Likes on 812 Posts

Friction is what holds the outer race in the wheel hub. Every time you replace it you reduce this friction. You can end up with bearing walk from this. I'd be cautious about frequent bearing changes myself.

The following users liked this post:
BrandonSmith (03-26-2019)
Old 03-22-2019, 07:21 AM
MegaJohn
Cruiser
Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

The bearings on my brother's 2007 Heritage failed around 78k... while we were traveling in New Mexico a couple years ago... on a Sunday afternoon.

I recommend they be inspected at every tire change and if not changed by 50k+ miles, maybe it's good insurance to get it done.

Luckily we had pulled off I-40 for gas just inside NM from AZ when it happened. The day before we were riding in some pretty desolate area and would not have had cell service. As it was, he called roadside assistance... we waited like an hour for them... then they hauled it 100+ miles to Albuquerque. The dealer was able to get the bike in the shop that afternoon and finish the repair the next day. His wife recommended he trade it in since the bike was getting up there in age. He now rides a 2017 Heritage.

As luck would have it, it was the was during the balloon festival... so it was not a total loss. And my brother's $250 repair turned into a monthly payment on a new bike.

Ride Safely!
John.

04ctd (03-22-2019)
Old 03-22-2019, 08:00 AM
Spartanden
Club Member

Received 8,249 Likes on 6,009 Posts

I lost the right front bearing on I-81 in Virginia. Hell of vibration and front end shake. Had to scrape out my britches. Fortunately I managed to get to the side of the highway at an exit. I have an app to locate Harley dealers and I was couple miles away from on. A Virginia State Trooper came up and led me and my buddy there... Shanandoah (spelling?) HD. Got me right in and right out. Total cost less than $300. So I went and bought a wheel bearing puller/installer, and a set of All ***** rear bearings for my next tire change. My plan is to check each tire change, and change bearings every other tire. the bike??? 2013 Street Glide, had about 30-31k miles. No power wash, hand wash only. So everytime the bike is on the jack, i'll give the wheels a quick spin and see if there is any roughness or noise.
Wheel bearings are crap.... at least stock bearings. Keep an eye on them, and if you take your bike in to a shop or do your own, I would consider changing wheel bearings every other tire change.

Old 03-22-2019, 04:13 PM
jai yen yen
Tourer
Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by BadDogBiker
I just got my 16 Road King back from the stealer and they say the tech heard a noise up front and says my wheel bearings are going out. The bike only has a little less than 27k on it. What's the average life expectancy of those? The bike does have ABS.
. My 2009 Road King only got 7000 miles before the front bearings went.

Old 03-22-2019, 07:45 PM
not a sock
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 983 Likes on 551 Posts

Originally Posted by foxtrapper
Friction is what holds the outer race in the wheel hub. Every time you replace it you reduce this friction. You can end up with bearing walk from this. I'd be cautious about frequent bearing changes myself.
?? What ??

Old 03-22-2019, 08:23 PM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,482 Likes on 1,541 Posts

12 streeglide , my front bearings lasted a whopping 2400 miles. Yes ! 2400 miles and they were junk. **** poor quality bearings. Mine get changed at every tire change.

Old 03-22-2019, 08:58 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,408 Likes on 4,015 Posts

FWIW.....

I've used a pressure washer on every bike I've owned, wash them frequently, and never had a bearing fail on me.......

Having said that, I know where the bearings are mounted on the wheels and don't spray the bearing directly, with the pressure washer...

If using a pressure washer causes your wheel bearings to fail, It's not the pressure washer that is the problem....... just sayin.......

Last edited by hattitude; 03-22-2019 at 09:00 PM.
perki48 (03-24-2019)

Quick Reply: Wheel Bearing life expectancy?