Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did you move up from a smaller HD? What did you gain?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2019, 12:59 PM
coach127
Tourer
Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

No, but started with a Honda trail 50 about 40 years ago

The following users liked this post:
Hawg Runner (04-29-2019)
Old 04-29-2019, 01:49 PM
jlb2782
Road Captain
Received 189 Likes on 113 Posts

I started about 2 1/2 years ago on a Sportster 883. Had a lot of fun on that bike. Was really light and nimble and I felt like I could really "throw it around". My dad said that I would upgrade around the 2 year mark. I never really felt like I would want anything else. Then came the Road King Special. Bought it late last year, and really have only been riding it for about a week. I did however ride a couple Road Kings over the winter in California and Florida. What did I gain?? I about double the gas tank. I added an extra gear. My wife now rides with me (she couldn't before because the passenger peg mount wouldn't fit with the exhaust I had.). Saddlebags. Comfort. Weight. I probably doubled the weight from the Sportster. But the only time I really notice it, is slow speed maneuvers, and trying to back up. The power is ridiculous. Just insane coming from the 883. I thought I would miss that little bike, but honestly, I don't.

What you might lose?? The sound. M8s sound different. When I rented the RK Standard in Florida and California, the thing I missed the most was the sound. It is so quiet. But that can be remedied to at least very good, by aftermarket pipes. And honestly, its probably better for my hearing in the long run. My bike has Cobra Neighbor Haters on it now, and they're almost perfect.

Good luck with whatever you do, but I would be willing to bet that you wouldn't be disappointed. Oh, and btw, my dad wasn't wrong. It was almost 2 years to the day that I wound up with the new bike. Just wished I would've listened and not dumped so much in to customizing the old one. Oh well, live and learn.

rauchman (04-29-2019)
Old 04-29-2019, 01:54 PM
SWMB
Road Warrior
Received 776 Likes on 499 Posts

I made the move from a Sportster to a Road King 2 years ago and couldn't be happier with the move.It's much more stable on the hyw's smoother and the bag storage is great. So as long as my legs can hold the weight up I'll be riding a King.

rauchman (04-29-2019)
Old 04-29-2019, 02:30 PM
16FXDLI
Tourer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by jlb2782

What you might lose?? The sound. M8s sound different. When I rented the RK Standard in Florida and California, the thing I missed the most was the sound. It is so quiet. But that can be remedied to at least very good, by aftermarket pipes. And honestly, its probably better for my hearing in the long run. My bike has Cobra Neighbor Haters on it now, and they're almost perfect.
This was especially true for me. I want the twin cam sound and feel. I test rode an M8 and didn’t like it and didn’t want it.

I searched until I found a low mile 2016 SGS and drove 3 hours each way to get it. I could not be happier.

Old 04-29-2019, 02:32 PM
usher96
Advanced
Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Moved up from a 1980 Low Rider, three words come to mind, Night and Day.
Mike

Last edited by usher96; 04-29-2019 at 02:35 PM. Reason: Wording
rauchman (04-29-2019)
Old 04-29-2019, 02:52 PM
SWFLGuy
Road Warrior
Received 1,211 Likes on 597 Posts

The first Harley I personally owned, I rode my dads and uncles bikes before

5 weeks later it became this

I gained everything and I love this bike.

The following 2 users liked this post by SWFLGuy:
rauchman (04-29-2019), T-Steve (04-29-2019)
Old 04-29-2019, 03:24 PM
Mountainkowboy
Grand HDF Member
Received 967 Likes on 526 Posts

I started out on a 58 FLH, so I've always rode a touring bike. I have a friend who's been selling HD's for decades. I asked him about the same thing and he said "I've never seen anyone go down, from a touring bike". They are called a "road couch" for a reason and are VERY well designed as a mile eater, and to be comfortable doing it.

The following 2 users liked this post by Mountainkowboy:
Long lonesome highwayman (05-01-2019), rauchman (04-29-2019)
Old 04-29-2019, 04:24 PM
rauchman
Grand HDF Member
Received 3,233 Likes on 1,254 Posts

First off, thanks for everyone's replies.

One more question, did any of you also test ride a 2018+ touring Softail, like a Heritage or Sport Glide, and why did you go with the touring bike?

Old 04-29-2019, 04:38 PM
Frogprince
Road Captain
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I haven't ridden a newer touring bike (2013+) nor a Softail in the same range.

When I started riding it was on a 78 Kawasaki 440 LTD, then moved up to a 80 Honda CB650C then finally to a 2004 Honda Shadow. I rode on those for years till I got out of riding due to money constraints and lack of time. Every bike had a reason behind the change. The 440 to the 650 was for the larger motor, larger frame and better highway handling. When I went to the 04 Shadow I actually regretted it in the end. It didn't do well on the Highway and was great fun around town.

My first time riding a Harley was with a co-worker. They offered me their Springer Softail and took me out on the alpine loop. It was so much fun and I enjoyed the ride, sound of the Harley. When I came to purchase one I rode touring bikes, and the Softail Line. I ended up going with a Touring Bike. For my style riding which includes long distance and commuting to and from work it made sense to have the full dressed. My wife on the other hand loves the Softail and Sportster line. She finds them easier to ride, lighter and more nimble. She is also 5'2" compared to my 6'9" so me throwing a large bike around is easy compared to her sportster where I don't fit.

rauchman (04-30-2019)
Old 04-29-2019, 04:52 PM
internet troll
Road Master
Received 683 Likes on 253 Posts

I went from a 440 (Jap bike) to a 700 (also import), both cruiser styles, to my Sporty. I rode my Sporty for 18 years and it just got old. The bike is fast and nimble, but at highway speeds I just got beaten up. The forward controls and drag bars were murder on my lower back.

I just upgraded to a 06 Electra Glide. Im happy with losing the low end performance in exchange for highway comfort. I dont have many miles on the new bike but the big seat, the floor boards, the driver backrest, the fairing.......oh man. Luxurious. The only things Im really trying to adjust too are
1) moving this monster around (pushing it out of the garage, turning in tight spaces)
2) getting the overall 'feel' of the bike. Being several hundred lbs heavier than my Sporty, everything feels different. Every bump, wind gust and pothole.

Im a little older now (just shy of 50) and my days of ripping thru town are over. I wanted something bigger, slower and more comfortable. Old man kinda stuff. Im happy, I just need to learn to balance it on the slow end like I could on the Sporty.

rauchman (04-30-2019)

Quick Reply: Did you move up from a smaller HD? What did you gain?