Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

80's era tour pak on a 2007 Road King

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2019, 02:16 PM
Miggidy Mac
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 80's era tour pak on a 2007 Road King

Hey guys, I'm new here although I've been reading your threads for years. I've been looking for a tour pak for my 07 RK and finally found one at a deal. The thing is that it's a king tour pak from AMF circa 1980.

Don't bother s@&tting all over AMF...... I know...

Anyway, the tour pak mount for the 2007 bike will have to be mounted to the "rails" on the bottom of the TP by the measurements... By "rails" I mean molded fiberglass raised higher (actually lower) than the flat part of the bottom section.

Is it safe to mount the TP by these "rails?" I'm worried about compromising the structural integrity of the box. The instructions show it mounted by the flat part of the box in between the "rails." But it's also meant to be mounted to a 3 bar luggage rack that were on the 80's era touring bikes.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Old 06-16-2019, 10:14 AM
Essthreetee
Tourer
Received 101 Likes on 51 Posts

I don’t know if it would work, but could you use a Quick release mount to put it on your bike? Rather than mounting with the hardware. Just thinking.

The following users liked this post:
Miggidy Mac (06-16-2019)
Old 06-16-2019, 11:37 AM
bigheadted
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts

Been using an old AMF Tourpac for years I removed the old mounting rails and bolted the new quick release directly to the bottom, for peace of mind used a piece of sheetmetal inside the box for a backing plate

Miggidy Mac (06-16-2019)
Old 06-16-2019, 01:33 PM
Miggidy Mac
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bigheadted
Been using an old AMF Tourpac for years I removed the old mounting rails and bolted the new quick release directly to the bottom, for peace of mind used a piece of sheetmetal inside the box for a backing plate
Thanks Ted. Did you bolt the mount on the flat area on the bottom of the tour pak or on the 2 ridges molded into the fiberglass? The instructions show it mounted to the flat part in between the ridges but the mount (because they are different years) lines up with the ridges. Can I drill/mount through those ridges? I don't want to weaken it in case those ridges are structurally important.

Old 06-16-2019, 07:52 PM
rizzo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,619 Likes on 2,094 Posts

I cut spacers for the bolts to fit under mine and plate on top where mounting to a flat surface of my rack to relieve the stress on the fiberglass.

If you have the small hard pockets behind the passenger back pad, I've found the thin insulated can coolers work great to protect anything in the pockets from being rubbed and damaged. I carry 8-0 with me all the time. I had a small tube of sunblock rub through and leak into the pocket. It only made a mess but I was thankful it wasn't a pair of glasses or a cell phone that was damaged.

Miggidy Mac (06-16-2019)