Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant change

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2019, 09:57 PM
bdtaylor1979
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 228 Likes on 186 Posts
Default Coolant change

Today I did a coolant change on my 14 ultra limited. I followed the service manual. The service manual says it's supposed to take 1.1 quarts but I only got 1 pint out and put one pint in.
Did I do something wrong?

Old 06-25-2019, 10:15 PM
Brewmany
Elite HDF Member
Received 657 Likes on 435 Posts

Possibly. You should have been closer to the quart+. I did mine last year, and drained and added about a quart. I can see draining a pint if you were low on coolant, but should have added the quart. Did you run the water pump to burp air out? I recall I had to do that for at least 15 minutes. Not sure why you'd get only a pint, unless you didn't drain all of it, for some reason.

Old 06-25-2019, 10:27 PM
AussieDog
Road Master
Received 698 Likes on 317 Posts

Did you follow the service manual closely? I have a 2014 flhtk as well. I changed mine about 18 months a go, pretty certain I got out what the manual said, after closely following the procedure. Regarding the fill - the manual has the right procedure, just repeat it 59 or so times. Plan on spending an afternoon following the burping procedure, including several rides to heat it up and move air around. I took my time and once done didn't have a bit of problem.

Old 06-25-2019, 10:55 PM
bdtaylor1979
Ultimate HDF Member

I pulled the hoses off both sides of the water pump and only got out a pint. The only thing I didn't do was remove the cap off of the overflow bottle before or during draining. I also turned the ignition on and turned the throttle enough to make the pump and fans come on. Oh, I didn't remove the main fuse like the instructions say because I don't see what that has to do with draining the coolant.

Old 06-26-2019, 06:39 AM
Brewmany
Elite HDF Member
Received 657 Likes on 435 Posts

The main fuse removal is probably a lawyer inclusion for safety, or to prevent the fans and pump from turning on while your down there messing around, without coolant, etc......
Perhaps not removing the cap from the overflow caused some type of airlock, keeping the coolant from draining fully? Assume you removed the radiator cap? If it's called for in the procedure...

Old 06-26-2019, 06:51 AM
decencyxdefied
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 724 Likes on 483 Posts

I would redo it and follow the instructions to a T. Im the worst about doing stuff exactly as its written, I coach Olympic lifting and one of the things I tell people is "half *** equals half results". You cant very well say you followed the manual, and then say you didnt do 2 of the steps

The following users liked this post:
Sorce (06-26-2019)
Old 06-26-2019, 12:32 PM
bdtaylor1979
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by decencyxdefied
I would redo it and follow the instructions to a T. Im the worst about doing stuff exactly as its written, I coach Olympic lifting and one of the things I tell people is "half *** equals half results". You cant very well say you followed the manual, and then say you didnt do 2 of the steps
I will try it again and see what happens. There's no point in taking the main fuse out I don't think. Other than that the only thing I did differently than the instructions is I took the radiator cap off instead of the overflow tank cap. I don't see how that will make a difference but it's worth a shot.

Old 06-26-2019, 10:42 PM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,482 Likes on 1,541 Posts

The service manual says to leave the overflow tank and radiator cap on while you pull the hose off the pump. When i did it this way it pulled all the coolant out of the system including the overflow tank.

Old 06-27-2019, 08:11 AM
HazyHog
Road Captain
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Recently changed my coolant and got pretty much a quart out and put close to a quart back in. The overflow tank should be completely empty when you’re done draining. After mine drained for a bit I stood the bike up straight for a few minutes to drain every last drop. After refilling the coolant, I ran the pump and fans for about 5 minutes while adding a bit more coolant as the air was purged.

Old 06-27-2019, 02:43 PM
bdtaylor1979
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by hardheaded
The service manual says to leave the overflow tank and radiator cap on while you pull the hose off the pump. When i did it this way it pulled all the coolant out of the system including the overflow tank.
I honestly didn't think it made any difference because when you drain the coolant on your car or truck you take the radiator cap off to let it vent so it drains faster. I guess apparently Harley's are different. Thank you

Quick Reply: Coolant change