Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Premium Oil Temperature Sensor Position

Old 08-23-2007, 04:26 AM
Blacklion213
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Premium Oil Temperature Sensor Position

I had a HD Premium Oil Temperature Gauge installed by my stealer. The gauge works but normal reads about 110 dgrees Farenheit and thigh fryin' about 140 degrees Farenheit. I am sure these temperatures should be running in the mid to high 200s. They put the sender/sensor where the oil cooler is installed. I was wondering if there is a better (more accurate) place to put the sender/sensor? thank you.

Old 08-23-2007, 07:16 AM
Chicago Spike
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Premium Oil Temperature Sensor Position

Yeah, I found this out too AFTER paying the added money to have it installed before I picked it up [:@]
Dealer mechanic said that the sending unit can only go on the return line from the cooler. So you get the temp reading of the oil AFTER it gets cooled. Completely useless for keeping track of your ENGINE temp or how that is running. You might also try switching to a premium synthetic oil. I run AMSOIL and my temp needle just barely gets above 110 even after several hours of highway speeds in the South Dakota plains in 110 degree heat

Old 08-23-2007, 07:33 AM
swomack
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Chicago Spike

Yeah, I found this out too AFTER paying the added money to have it installed before I picked it up [:@]
Dealer mechanic said that the sending unit can only go on the return line from the cooler. So you get the temp reading of the oil AFTER it gets cooled. Completely useless for keeping track of your ENGINE temp or how that is running. You might also try switching to a premium synthetic oil. I run AMSOIL and my temp needle just barely gets above 110 even after several hours of highway speeds in the South Dakota plains in 110 degree heat
You need to take a look at the sending unit. Mine stays at 110 with the bike sitting in the garage. Theirs no way it's only 110 degrees at speed in this heat.

Old 08-23-2007, 07:44 AM
geargrinder
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree with CS, should be in the input line to oil cooler,mainly interested in how close my oil temps are getting to their breakdown temps coming out of engine. However, some disagree with this stratagy.

Old 08-23-2007, 07:51 AM
Chicago Spike
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: swomack

You need to take a look at the sending unit. Mine stays at 110 with the bike sitting in the garage. Theirs no way it's only 110 degrees at speed in this heat.
Nope, been there checked voltage and replaced sender even checked the oil line right next to sender with an infra-red thermometer and they all check out as working and reading that temp. When I turn the bike on, the gauge needle comes off it's rest and goes to the lowest point of 105. Once riding it will raise to the 110 area, after a long ride and stop&go traffic it will go to the 115 area. I bring my thermometer with me and check that temp at the unit and it read the same 115 area

Old 08-23-2007, 07:51 AM
sleepneagle
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

best place for the sensor is in the oil tank. There is a allen plug on the touring models between the oil drain and trans drain plugs. it requires a sleeve adapter to screw the sensor into the pan. This will give a better reading but not like you would get directly in the engine.

Old 08-23-2007, 08:40 AM
Akitakoi
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Installing the sender in the line coming out of the cooler makes NO sense. Installing in the line going into the cooler is no good either. The only place you can get a semi-accurate reading is in the oil pan.

The sleeve adapter you guys use? Is it a brass fitting? Any problems screwing it into Aluminum?

Here's a picture I grabed out of this thread. https://www.hdforums.com/m_1690916/tm.htm

Old 08-23-2007, 09:08 AM
swomack
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Akitakoi

Installing the sender in the line coming out of the cooler makes NO sense. Installing in the line going into the cooler is no good either. The only place you can get a semi-accurate reading is in the oil pan.

The sleeve adapter you guys use? Is it a brass fitting? Any problems screwing it into Aluminum?

Here's a picture I grabed out of this thread. https://www.hdforums.com/m_1690916/tm.htm

This is where my sensor is located. I ran 60 miles last Saturday up to Murfreesboro at 70+ and it stayed right at 180. Got in traffic and it jumped to 230 but never went higher and I've never seen it above 230. It was so freakin hot the OL passed out when she got off the bike back at the house. I don't have an oil cooler.

Old 08-23-2007, 02:29 PM
jeepster
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The adaptor is brass. you can get it at NAPA. It's a 3/8" to 1/8" pipe plug adaptor.

Old 08-23-2007, 02:58 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Dealer mechanic said that the sending unit can only go on the return line from the cooler. So you get the temp reading of the oil AFTER it gets cooled. Completely useless for keeping track of your ENGINE temp or how that is running. You might also try switching to a premium synthetic oil. I run Amsoil....
Mobil 1, Redline, Royal Purple, and Amsoil are all good choices.

I run AMSOIL and my temp needle just barely gets above 110 even after several hours of highway speeds in the South Dakota plains in 110 degree heat
I've heard some wild claims about Amsoil in the past, but I agree with Swommack that there's no way you're running 110° oil temp in the heat of the summer, or even in 40° winter weather, once the bike is warmed up. You should test your gauge and sender, and make sure your thermostat is working. If not, the oil will bypass the cooler and you'll get a reading on oil that is mostly sitting there in the cooler lines. In that case I might believe that it would read 110°.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Premium Oil Temperature Sensor Position