Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wind deflectors

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2023, 02:28 PM
wilburbill
Road Captain
Received 425 Likes on 182 Posts

I did some experimenting with engine temperatures this summer.. The Rushmore lowers raised my engine temps about 15 - 20 degrees and the fork mounted wind deflectors raised them another 15 degrees. The Rushmore lowers don't move much air through, even with the liquid cooled grilles added and the inside cover shortened. There is quite a bit of heat on my right upper leg/thigh area with both the lowers, fork deflectors and mid frame deflectors. With the 124 big bore, I had concerns about the heat and the engine getting too warm.

My old bike was pre Rushmore and I removed the doors from the lowers and they moved quite a bit of air even with the fork deflectors. I am making some changes this year. I am going back to the old style lowers without the doors as I know they let a lot of air through to the engine. I am also going to try a set of the DK Customs air deflectors that mount to the front gas tank bolt. I will also try to just run the right side mid frame deflector and take the left one off (some have tried it and say it helps ram the air around the back of the rear cylinder).. I will try that without the fork mounted deflectors and see how that does. Might be a bit over kill but I really dont have much invested in the change and if it lowers temps and allows me to run lowers and keep the buffeting down it will be a win..

Oh and I have a set of Love Jugs also that I messed with and found them make little if any difference. All temp readings were taken from my Power Vision mounted on the bike.

Last edited by wilburbill; 12-04-2023 at 02:30 PM.
Old 12-04-2023, 03:01 PM
BumECarlos
Intermediate
Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts

As others have mentioned, you may not need them. There are a lot of variables with controlling wind management, height, weight, helmet etc. Ride the bike first.

Old 01-01-2024, 01:00 AM
95 Ultra Classic Rider
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can tell you that the fork mounted wind deflectors work wonders for head buffering. Some people don’t like the look but you get used to it.

Old 01-01-2024, 08:43 AM
pyuchem
Road Warrior
Received 858 Likes on 412 Posts

So I’ve put back fork mounted fangs on. Wow…didn’t realize how much wind they block. I was getting tons of wind from right side hitting my arms and face.BTW I even have tank fangs from DK customs along with triple tree thingies.

Few rides this December even with heated gear I wished to finish the ride and get back home.

With fangs back on…there’s barely any wind hitting me. It’s a nice clean pocket. At 30° riding with heated gear I feel hotter than sitting in a car.

Summer will tell me how much engine temperature it raises. As I have Rushmore lowers too. I may have to add oil cooler.

Last edited by pyuchem; 01-01-2024 at 08:51 AM.
Old 01-01-2024, 10:06 AM
Ultra103
Club Member
Received 829 Likes on 448 Posts

Originally Posted by pyuchem
BTW I even have tank fangs from DK customs along with triple tree thingies.
So the DK tank mount deflectors didn't work well? I was just looking at those on the website.

Old 01-01-2024, 10:49 AM
pyuchem
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Ultra103
So the DK tank mount deflectors didn't work well? I was just looking at those on the website.

I was just about to add this next comment to my earlier post and I saw your comment. So…

DK custom tank cooling deflector wings did not help with buffeting by even 1%. May be they direct air to the front jug but no help with buffeting. Don’t waste your money.

Maybe if someone is looking to direct air to the engine(Maybe I haven’t done the study on that), but for buffeting they are useless. That’s my experience.

Last edited by pyuchem; 01-01-2024 at 10:52 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by pyuchem:
Ultra103 (01-01-2024), Ya Tigor (01-02-2024)
Old 01-01-2024, 12:33 PM
Ragnorok
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Interesting. My Street Glide came with fork mount "fang" deflectors, which I've always assumed were supposed to be directing more air over the engine. Never thought it would have an effect on buffeting, particularly in the helmet area, though pyuchem's comment about body effect makes a lot of sense. I have also read they actually increase engine temp, but as I've never ridden without them I don't really know. I thought I had an engine temp issue but it was a faulty temp sensor, and I've only ridden one season with the replacement. She did run a tad hotter in NC than NH, but currently no real worries.

I get noticeable helmet buffeting with the Harley vs the Shadow, which has a "full size" Plexifairing on it. I've always assumed it's the short windshield on the bat wing, another mod that's tinted and either bought shorter than normal or cut down, but I don't really know. Glytr also has the storage pouches inside the wind screen, and the top edge of the wind screen is scant inches above that. There's not much, but it's not such a big deal that I care to do anything about it before I get some heated grips. lol

Everyone says they're ugly but I kinda like them. Regardless I think I'll take them off this winter and see what effect they had come next riding season. I expect I'll wind up with them back on, but it's worth seeing...

Old 01-01-2024, 01:07 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,854 Likes on 18,595 Posts

Do your "fangs" make contact with the lowers ?

@pyuchem

Old 01-01-2024, 07:04 PM
pyuchem
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Uncle Larry
Do your "fangs" make contact with the lowers ?

@pyuchem
@Uncle Larry No I don’t have fangs but my bikes fangs don’t make any contact with the lowers.

The following 2 users liked this post by pyuchem:
keener3rd (01-01-2024), Uncle Larry (01-01-2024)
Old 01-01-2024, 08:22 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,854 Likes on 18,595 Posts

Originally Posted by pyuchem
@Uncle Larry No I don’t have fangs but my bikes fangs don’t make any contact with the lowers.
Very funny ... Thanks

Quick Reply: Wind deflectors